HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/)
-   -   PTSD and Noise (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/907997-ptsd-noise.html)

Phoenix 07-04-2012 06:57 PM

PTSD and Noise

Hello all,

It's the 4th of July where I am,which is celebrated with fireworks.
The very fireworks I used to enjoy startle the living daylights out of me.
If a person pulls up next to me driving with his music on,i'll roll up my windows immediately.

Heck,I can't even drive and play the radio or dvd player in the car.
Even if i'm not driving,I can't seem to listen to any music or news stations in the car.

It's but one of those things that really seem to bother me.
Please tell me that i'm not alone in this.

This has been going on for 7 years now and I just feel like shouting to the heaven's: [I]"WHY?"[/I]

I truly wish this would go away.

Respectfully
Phoenix

ladybud 07-04-2012 07:33 PM

Re: PTSD and Noise

I believe it is common to have increased sensitivity to noises with PTSD. You don't mention what caused your PTSD, but if it was war related, certainly fireworks would trigger memories and anxiety. You might slowly acclimate yourself to very soft soothing music when you are at home relaxed. It may be too much stimulation coupled with the attention you must give to driving- a distraction that keeps you from focusing. PTSD heightens your senses and can cause ADD like symptoms when too many things are happening at once.

Phoenix 07-04-2012 08:32 PM

Thanks ladybud,

I'm still trying to recover in so many ways,which further angers me.

I thank you for your time;you help me in ways you can't imagine.

Take care and Bless You
Respectfully Phoenix

kvafrank 07-29-2012 10:40 AM

Hi, I know what you mean. My startle reflex is really strong at certain times when I feel hyperalert and on guard. My reaction is an exageration for the present moment but was necessary to warn me of danger in my past. I am sure there are many others who react this way to sounds and noise. At least, I do.

gonein60sec 08-21-2012 03:08 PM

Have same response. Have been living with noise triggers for years, it has grown from the rattling of bag of chips, a person drinking a glass of liquid to any sound I find annoying. I am with you on this one. It is aweful. I am on meds which help.Never completely goes away for me. Therapy has done the most for me and in two years I am beginning to enjoy music at lower levels and my type of songs must be playing or I can't listen. Never while driving. I guess the concentration levels mixed with sounds don't mix for me (no pun intended). Good Luck. Hope to hear your in therapy or getting help in some way or any way my friend.

Phoenix 08-22-2012 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=gonein60sec;5043437]
Hope to hear your in therapy or getting help in some way or any way my friend.[/QUOTE]

gonein60sec

I am attending therapy and am trying to work through issues currently.
Thanks for the reply

Truthfully spoken
Phoenix

Phoenix 08-22-2012 01:02 AM

[QUOTE=kvafrank;5029797]Hi, I know what you mean. My startle reflex is really strong at certain times when I feel hyperalert and on guard. My reaction is an exageration for the present moment but was necessary to warn me of danger in my past. I am sure there are many others who react this way to sounds and noise. At least, I do.[/QUOTE]

Hello kvafrank

Thank you for sharing this here.
It further reaffirms that we're not alone in this fight.

It's true;hypervigilence does have it's advantages.

It's the disadvantages that concern me.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Phoenix 08-22-2012 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=ladybud;5012655] You don't mention what caused your PTSD,.[/QUOTE]

Hello ladybud

I was never officially diagnosed with PTSD until 2008.

Prior to that, in 1990,I witnessed my brother being stabbed,which in turn led to his death,as he bled out through his femoral artery.
For lack of better words,he was murdered.
I identified him;in a pool of his own blood,at the crime scene.
------------------------------------
Soothing music doesn't do it for me;I actually play no music.
There was something peculiar going on....
I turned on the gospel music channel and kept it on non-stop for close to two months.I left the hose with it on,slept with it on and awoke to it.

I'm still trying to make sense of what transpired then.
It was like a passing phase,as I no longer do this.

When it rains,it seems to pour at times.Not like cats and dogs;more like blue whales.

Respectfully
Phoenix