It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Olive5 HB User
Tired of being scared all the time after armed robbery

Hi everyone. About a month ago, my fiance and I were robbed at gunpoint. Two men ambushed us as we were about to get in our car on a residential street. One of them screamed and cursed at me and waved his gun around in my face and took my purse. The other one had my fiance face down on the ground with a gun to his head. I could hear my fiance praying loudly and I really thought we were both about to be killed. Obviously, as I'm here to type this, we weren't. ;-)

Now I am having trouble functioning in every day life. Today I went to a park with my fiance and my two boys. The park was empty except for two men who were just kind of loitering around their car. These guys were making me nervous for no good reason, but I tried to push the feeling away and play with my kids. I couldn't stop watching these guys. Before I knew it, I was overcome by terror and wanted to leave immediately. I was afraid I would start screaming. I did not scream but I did that whole awkward walk/run thing straight to the car. I felt embarrassed but I couldn't help it.

Now I am freaked out by any unexpected noise. I'm jumpy and fearful all the time. I constantly check my surroundings wherever I am. Sometimes it's hard to walk from my car into a store. Tonight I had a big crazy crying jag and couldn't stop. I am also now paranoid about someone breaking into my home and I prop chairs under the doorknobs. I'm paranoid about mass shootings. Basically, I feel afraid of everything. I'm tired of it. I'm getting married in October and this should be a happy time, but this problem is taking the joy from my life. Thoughts?

Thank you for listening.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Olive5
janewhite1 (08-23-2012), Phoenix (08-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Tired of being scared all the time after armed robbery

Hello Olive5

Have you considered therapy to address your symptoms?
Your fiance may benefit from this also.
You were both victimized by this traumatic situation.
The symptoms that you speak of need professional attention;possibly even medication.

Please consider doing something now,as October is just around the corner.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-29-2012)
Reply Reply