It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

juliemarley1975 HB User
My First Post in this Forum

Hi Everyone, I hope I don't upset anyone by my first post but I need to get this off my chest. I have just been diagnosed with PTSD recently and I am awaiting counselling. I have suffered with it for about 19 years, but didn't realise until I started having flashbacks about 3 months ago, so I went to the doctor and she referred me for Trauma Counselling, the reason I have PTSD is because I was sexually assaulted and abused when I was 18, my abuser passed away a few years back, I know he can't touch me but I am still petrified of him if that makes sense, every time I close my eyes I see his face and it's horrible, I had blocked it out until something triggered the flashbacks recently, I haven't got a clue what triggered it but now I am just eager to start counselling because my symptoms are getting worse and very worrying.

I am having daily flashbacks now, and also very vivid frightening dreams, I remember everything that happened in the dreams, I am crying all the time, my appetite is all over the place, I feel like I am in a dream world and I can't seem to escape, it's so weird. I suffer from arthritis and fibromyalgia and the symptoms of them are getting worse because of stress, I feel like it's never ending, I am leaning towards alcohol more to numb the pain I am feeling in my head and body. I need to know is there anything I can do to alleviate these symptoms until I go for counselling, I am at my wits end and I don't know what to do.

Last edited by juliemarley1975; 11-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to juliemarley1975:
Phoenix (11-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: My First Post in this Forum

Hello juliemarley1975 and welcome.

I was wondering if you ever considered the possibility of taking medication?

It may help reduce a few of your symptoms,until you get an appointment to see a therapist.

In the mean time,please feel free to post as often as you like. Know that you're always welcome here.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 11-17-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

juliemarley1975 HB User

Hi Phoenix, sorry for this late reply, I was taking citalopram but the doctor has taken them off me as I was having side effects on them, plus I am taking amitryptilline and he thought those were cancelling out the citalopram. I might make another appointment with my GP to see if there is anything else I could take while awaiting trauma counselling, it's just taking so long to start, I had two assessments about 3 month ago, they told me I should hear something in November, hope I get some news soon!!

The following user gives a hug of support to juliemarley1975:
Phoenix (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello juliemarley1975

Making another appointment with the GP sounds like the way to go. As long as you are still having symptoms
of the nature you described,you must be proactive.

I hope that you get called soon.

In your times of crisis, you can try using safe place imagery.
In your mind,envision a place of serenity, where you can feel at peace and are protected from the outside world.
Envision it; if it's a tropical island, imagine the cool breeze from the sea waves,the clear waters,tropical fish,coconut trees;the sand under your feet.The tropical climate....are you wearing sunglasses?.........

This is just an example.....try to use your imagination.You'd be surprised with what you may come up with.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

I would eliminate the alcohol. The alcohol may help a little bit initially, but in the long run it is not the best way to go for now. In addition, if you consume any caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea) you may want to eliminate them until you get back on track emotionally. Obviously, the alcohol and caffeine did not cause the situation, but they can make it worse. Hopefully, one day when you have this terrible ordeal behind you, it may be OK to resume alcohol and caffeine. Have you read books on how to recover from the ordeal that you experienced? Books can be very comforting, and you may find great comfort in reading. Good Luck

Reply Reply