It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

ladycienna HB User
PTSD and Weight

My PTSD has gotten bad over the past year. I am having trouble keeping my weight gain under control and wondered if there is a correlation between the two? I can't seem to get either under control. Am starting with a new counselor to deal with the PTSD. But have no appetite and still gain weight. Any suggestions?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: PTSD and Weight

Hi, yes there is a correlation between weight gain and PTSD. The S in PTSD (stress) can cause the adrenal gland to produce the stress hormone cortisol in higher amounts. Excess cortisol in the body has a causal relationship to weight gain so it goes that if you get your stress under control you will be able to get your weight under control./

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

Chrisy63 HB User
Re: PTSD and Weight

I just started a new therapy for PTSD called EMDR therapy. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. My first session went really well, the second was tougher as I chose a memory associated with heavy emotions and panic attacks. However I believe this is helping. I also gained weight not eating. My body was hanging on to whatever it could to survive. Small meals, and get outside and do anything even pulling weeds. I stopped all carbs, got a juicer, and knew I had to get control of my body or waste away with unhealthy eating habits. Good luck.

Reply Reply