It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

BunnyCat HB User
Newly Diagnosed

Hello,

In the past week 3 mental health professionals have said I seem to be struggling with PTSD. I already identify as having depression, anxiety, and ADD. I've been in therapy on and off since age 13 and on meds most of the time. This is the first time a diagnosis of PTSD has been tossed my way. Although it describes my symptoms fairly well, I am struggling to come to terms with it. I know it's just label, but I am sure many of you can relate to my difficulty with it.

I've experienced my fair share of trauma throughout my life and have re ently been triggered by my new job as a mental health counselor. I also had cancer about 5 years ago and am recently ready to process it.

I would really appreciate any comments and advice on how to look at and cope with this. I may over identify with diagnosis, which likely has something to do with my angst here.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

A lover of adorably cute animals

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

kaylalala HB Userkaylalala HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hey there. Getting diagnosed isn't fun no matter what the problem is, but yes there is some stigma associated with PTSD so that can make it especially difficult.

What do you mean when you say that you over-identify with the diagnosis? Like, you end up defining yourself too much by the diagnostic label?

Last edited by kaylalala; 04-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
(female)

BunnyCat HB User

Hi kaylalala,

Thanks for the reply!

I've had a few diagnosis before/currently. I was diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood and I often observe my behavior and think, "yup, I have ADD." At first with ADHD it was hard to accept too. Partially because of the thought I get sometimes "there is something wrong with me."

Being told I have PTSD feels like adding another problem on the list. I know it's just a way of describing my issues, but it's overwhelming in part, I think, because of the stigma, but also because it ties everything together and brings the trauma to the front of my mind. Now I see a lot of ways I do it the PTSD diagnosis and its no fun to think about!! It sounds like a bigger problem than the previous anxiety, depression, ADHD, and REM sleep disorder I got comfortable with.

Thx
JL

The following user gives a hug of support to BunnyCat:
kaylalala (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
(female)

kaylalala HB Userkaylalala HB User

I know, it's so hard to accept these labels without also feeling like you are being judged as somehow unacceptable as a human being. That's probably not what anybody else is thinking about you though, they just want to help. Take care and hang in there. xoxo Kayla

Reply Reply