It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
paxil/prozac/ppd

Hello, I am new here and was hoping for advice/support. I just had my 2nd child in July. By 6 weeks post partum, I was crying uncontrollably so I called my OB. He put me on 20mg Paxil. (Little background- with child #1, I also had quite a few breakdowns but did not seek help and they seemed to go away by 2-3 months).

It seemed to work fine and I was very happy for a while. I started feeling like nobody after taking the paxil for about 8 weeks and decided that I no longer wanted to be on medication. I was sort of against it in the beginning anyhow (don't like to ask for help). The office wanted me to get a psychological exam at the ER. I was like "nope". Anyhow they didn't want me to go off the medication but I did anyhow. (I was taking one pill at night). After skipping one dose, by morning I was in tears. Then I got confused like was it from quitting the meds or because I really have something wrong with me. I have to be able to get through work!

After calling the office, they switched me to prozac 20mg. I spent the rest of the day counting down the minutes until I could go home from work. I bawled and bawled and then started the prozac. Next am the crying started again, now I am freaking out. So I took another pill. Long story short, I have not heard from the OBs office to see how I am making out with the new drug(nice huh?), I scheduled an appt for Tues and have been taking 2 prozac pills a night because it seems to be working for me.

What does anyone think is this looney mess? Any opinions, comments will be appreciated. Only my husband knows that I am "crazy" so I have no one to talk to about this stuff. I am wondering if I never went on the meds, that things would have worked out. Or if I was having withdrawal from the paxil (the crying). Now I am experiencing side effects like singing and dancing - haha! Also, I am finding it hard to tolerate my older (3) daughter "bugging" me. I am totally not like that. I love my children to death and am very patient until this week. Anyone else have side effects? I guess, am I normal?

Thank you all for listening, It does feel good to get it out to maybe someone who has been there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 02:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: paxil/prozac/ppd

One of the worst depressions of my life was after the birth of my first child. I can totally understand what you are going through. One the one hand, you know you should be thrilled that you have this beautiful baby, but for some unexplained reason you just can't stop crying.

Please know two things - 1) You are NOT crazy. It doesn't feel like it, but you will eventually get better. 2) You are not alone. Postpartum depression is much more common than you would think. If you haven't already, do some research about it on the web. You might also see if you can find a support group in your area.

Here is what I think you need to do regarding the meds. Keep taking the Prozac as it is prescribed. It can take a while to work. Second, when you see the OB, I'd ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. I know you are embarassed to ask for help and are probably even more embarassed to see a "shrink", but they REALLY are much better versed with the psych meds and can offer you more support than your OB.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Closed Thread