It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
I think I have post partum depression

I am a twenty-year old mother to a two week old baby and am having a hard time adjusting to this new lifestyle. My boyfriend (the father) can't help me with our son because he goes to college three hours away. I cry every night because I'm exhausted and hungry and depressed. Is this post partum depression? What should I do about it?

Old 05-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

rander5 HB User
Re: I think I have post partum depression

Hi Lynn,
You should definitely talk to your doctor about it. You have this huge change to your life and it is completely overwhelming -

I experienced really bad post partum after the birth of my second child, I couldn't sleep, eat, was so unhappy and really felt I was losing my mind - I think I just couldn't see that I was going to be able to handle all of this work in front of me and I just freaked out - my doc put me on some meds and when i was able to see that things were going to be ok - I started to calm down. it took a bit, but you will be ok.

Last edited by rander5; 05-25-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

When my boyfriend comes to visit, everything is great and we make a beautiful family. Then, when he leaves, I get depressed, stop eating, am up all night, ect. I just had my son 10 days ago and have already lost 35 lbs. I'm completely overwhelmed by single parenting. I just want my family back. I can't tell if I just miss my bf or am experiencing depression

Old 05-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
(female)

Unicorn430 HB User

Hi Lynn,
I also think you should talk to your doctor about the possibilty of depression.
Perhaps you need to change your lifestyle: style with your parent(s) for a few months, move to where your boyfriend is, or something along those lines? 20 is so young to essentially be a single mother. I'm almost 26 and don't know if I could do it by myself, at least at first.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
(female)

heatherlf HB User

You have just decribed me almost to a Tee. I am 20 yrs old I have a 7 mnth old baby but my boyfriend (well ex-boyfriend) is and was a piece of crap he would never help me with anything I do it all on my own. I got the mommy blues when I first had my son. This is how bad it was...When I would LOOK at my son I would get so sick to my stomach that I would have to go throw up!! That is not an exageration it is how I felt. Go to your doctor and have him put you medication. I was put on zoloft to begin with which worked amazingly (no antidepressant works the same for everyone). I was 100% better. Now my boyfriend doesn't live with me (we have just seperated) although he was no help when we were together, the zoloft is not helping so my doctor is putting me on cymbalta. But please hang in there! I know exactly how you feel! Do you have your mom or a sister that could watch your child over night for you like once a week or when you just can't handle it anymore? If so, DO IT! I know I didn't want to because I am the mother and he should be with me at all times but if you are doing this basicly on your own you do need help sometimes don't try to be supermom because you will just wear yourself completly out. It took me a while to learn that. Also, you may think that the sleepless nights will never end but they do and before you know it you and your baby will be sleeping at least 5 hrs straight in the earlier months then you will be sleeping 8-10 hrs with no interuptions. I'm still at 6 hrs but I know it will get even better soon.

Sorry this post was so long. I just know where your coming from.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDewald1
I am a twenty-year old mother to a two week old baby and am having a hard time adjusting to this new lifestyle. My boyfriend (the father) can't help me with our son because he goes to college three hours away. I cry every night because I'm exhausted and hungry and depressed. Is this post partum depression? What should I do about it?
Lack of food will certainly make you feel depressed or worsen it. You must get nutrition for the brain to function right. Did you or are you taking painkillers after the birth?

Closed Thread