It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

momof2girlz HB User
postpartum depression--want to go off zoloft

Hello--this is my first post. I am a 26 year old mother of 2 (2yrs & 7mos.)--beautiful girls. I suffered from Postpartum depression with my first child, but refused medication---and regretted it--after the birth of my second, I went on Zoloft--100mg. I would like to go off of it, but my husband doesn/t think it is a good idea, I am also nursing and worried about my daughter and any withdrawl. I am very physically active (ran a 1/2 Marathon when the baby was 5 mos.) and am hoping that running will help me cope with any adverse reactions.. I am looking for anyone with any insight on my situation. My Doc and Lactation consultant say that Zoloft does not have any withdrawl problems--any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: postpartum depression--want to go off zoloft

I got off of Wellbutrin using omega 3 fish oil. Since my doctor turned me onto it, I've done a lot of research into fish oil and depression. Pregnant women lose half of their essential fatty acids to their developing fetus. That means you have to increase your fish consumption while pregnant and nursing to avoid depression. The omega 3s are needed to form the brain cells and tissue in the baby, so is vital for brain function and intelligence. You can look at the fish oil studies on the web for depression or for more in depth info on all the studies, one doctor wrote a book called The Omega 3 Connection. The studies used a standard dose of 500mg of E.P.A. from fish oil twice a day. That is the fatty acid that has the greatest effect on mood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Do not stop any sort of ssri abruptly.any med that you have to sort of taper onto,you have to taper off of.since these drugs DO affect the chemicals in the brain,you could suffer from some sort of WDs when you just stop with no actual taper.you could also suffer siezures.i would talk with your doc before doing anything.It is all up to you actually whether or not you can go off.you are the one who can tell whther or not you feel that you are doing better,no one else.i would try dropping down to a lower level of the med and stay there for a while and then kind of evaluate how you are feeling.If you feel okay after like maybe two weeks at this level,then drop down a bit more and so on.If at any time,you feel that you may need to stay on it as the depression feels like it is not under control,you can always taper back up to a level that feels comfortable for you.do you know what I mean?just do not stop it cold turkey.see how it goes by just taking things slowly.K? good luck and i hope this has passed for you.i went thru the same thing after the birth of both my boys.it hit after a few months and lasted about six months.then I was fine.strange how that will just pop in out of like no where.But in most cases,it just passes on its own and things go back to normal once all those flippin hormones get their act together again.Good luck,Marcia

Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

momof2girlz HB User

Thank you both so much! I am going to look into the Omega 3's--sound interesting--and safe for my baby! As far as going cold turkey--no way--I think I'll drop to 50 mg a day, and try that for a while! I start my marathon training in January--so hopefully that will help ---I am still sort of afraid of not being medicated-- That's another reason for going off of it--I hate depending on it--not to mention--it's almost impossible to cry--and gosh do I need a good cry! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year--I'll post and let you know how things are going!

Closed Thread