It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Natural Ways to get over PostPartum Depression

I am nine months postpartum, but at times I think I have had the depression since my daughter was born. It is nothing against her, but I felt distant when I had her and I also felt like my life was really over. The first couple of weeks I had to hold her constantly because she wanted to be close. I am normally an active person and that really brought me down. Anyways, without explaining all of my feelings, a woman on Dr. Phil explained her feelings and she had postpartum and I had the same feelings. What I am wondering, what can I do without seeing a doctor and going on medication to help myself.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

jcemily HB User
Re: Natural Ways to get over PostPartum Depression

Hi there. I'm sorry you are going through this. I have an 18th month old and went through the same feelings at the same time. I felt bad, but it did take me a while to bond with her. Then when she was about 8 months old, I just felt like you explained.
What worked for me were several things. First I joined a fitness center that had daycare. That way I got an hour to myself everyday. I didn't even workout very hard, just enjoyed the space. I also asked my husband to help out more. For me, I just needed some space and to know that I exsisted without a baby on my hip! I also went out at night after my husband came home just to the bookstore or coffee shop. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt for you to take vitimans as well to keep you healthy (I'm just so bad at that stuff).
I don't know if the things I did are available to you. You might want to call your OB doctor office as well and talk to a nurse. They might give you some things to help you get over the hump.
Hope that helps some. It's very hard adjusting to being a mom!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Hi there. I'm sorry you're going through this too. It hit me (hard) about the 9 month mark as well. For at least two months I tried every thing I could find to try to get myself out of it. Nothing worked for me. I don't know if you mean the girl (I forget her name but not her story--it was just like mine) on the same show as the former beauty queen? Edrienne was the beauty queen. Lisa may have been the mom (yeah, that was it) that I'm thinking of. Was that her? If it's the scary thoughts part of PPD you're having just know that at least 1/3 of the moms with PPD have these awful thoughts. They don't mean anything about you as a mom, okay? It's just your brain on mommy-protective-overdrive. SSRI antidepressants (like Zoloft, which is approved for bf moms) can often clear up that kind of thought process.

Try the things jcemily suggested. If you aren't feeling an improvement after 2 weeks, talk to your doctor. I say two weeks because an antidepressant can make a difference in that amount of time (not get rid of your depression totally in that short time, but let you know that you will get better kind of improvement).

Have you been battling this for the whole 9 months?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I don't take drugs and medications. I believe in a more natural health and recovery first. I am looking for ways to feel better, like certain vitamins postpartum women should take, etc...?

Closed Thread