It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

d'smom HB User
child with PPD

when my son was 18 months he was diagnosed with PPD he kept losing what little words he had, he wasn't pointing, and 3 out of 10 times would respond to his name. He is now 22 months and says a few words is now pointing x 2 months. still isn't really responding to his name. and stopped waving at 19 months. He does understand us when we talk to him, and he is very social with good eye contact (which he always had). He is starting to play with some of his toys. He also arm and leg flap when excited (my husband did also as a child) We have birth to 3 working with him since he was 16 months. Can an Autistic person be social and have eye contact? I have a nephew who is Autistic, but I only know him and how he is. or could this be a misdiagnosed (especially since he was diagnosed so early). hearing test was normal

Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User
Re: child with PPD

Autism is considered a spectrum disorder which means there is a range. Some autistic people can be social, though not often at the level one might expect for their age level, whatever that might be. The high fuctioning Autism is sometimes referred to as Asperger's Syndrome. PDD children can be social but again, there may be various deficits along a continuum. Sometimes PDD label is given when in fact learning delay is more appropriate - but it's all such an individualized thing. 18 months would be about the earliest a diagonsis could take place and although it's good to have a diagnosis early and get services to help work with the deficits, it's also a good idea to have a second evaluation at about 3 years of age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

Mom2PDD HB User
Wink Re: child with PPD

My son is 4 years old and was diagnosed PDD-nos in July last year. He stopped talking when he was about 15 months. The doctor kept telling me that he is just a boy and he is fine. We started speech therapy through the school when he was 2 years old. He qualified for services through our school system. He didn't have any eye contact when he was younger but with help and lots of therapy, he can socialize and has eye contact. This is why he is PDD-NOS. He had social skills so he didn't qualify to be "autistic." This is confusing. He started talking in June this past year-- We are so happy about that. But, he has got really bad behavior issues that we are now trying to work through and it is very trying. Andrew had medical issues from the time he was born and went through tubes, fundaplication surgery, etc to clear up his issues. He was still diagnosed. You can have an autistic child that can socialize and have eye contact. It is diagnosed because he has characteristics in the speech and behavior that put him in the PDD-nos category. This is the first time I have actually talked to anyone about this. We have been there and done it and it has been 2 years since we have been dealing with it. I don't have a support system here in Nebraska--so it is actually nice to see there are other parents going through the same things we did...

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Closed Thread