It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

deverly2005 HB User
Unhappy Postpartum depression & ANXIETY, long, but really need advice

I had my son January of 2006. I just sort of never felt normal again after I had him, everyone said oh thats normal when you become a mother etc, I had my hormone levels and thyroid tested bc I was just not enjoying things as much and was a very over protective worried mom. I have always had a tendency to worry too much about things.

Well about 3 months ago it just got so bad, I had all these horrible thoughts and worries about something happening to me, my family and mainly my son. Then I started to worry that I was turning into Brooke Shields and what if I lost it and did something bad to my son or myself?? I started seeing atherapist, whiched helped a lot but it is very expensive. I also started Zoloft 25 mg that I was on for about 4 days when my Psychiatrist changed it to 100 mg over night, it made me so much worse from the very first pill. i felt sooo much more depressed, literally I could not even get out of bed, I thought it was never going to get better and that I wanted to die. I felt like I was never going to be able to be a good mom again and was afraid to be alone with my son. After 9 days on zoloft I quit it, and within 24hours I felt so much better, and even better the next day, like back to normal almost.

I was also taking xanax when I needed it, mainly at night to fall asleep. Now I am on lexapro 10 mg and have been for about 7 weeks. I guess its helping, for the most part I feel so much better, but the lexapro makes me really tired and hard to fall asleep, it also makes me clench my jaw at night, like my face feels all tense. The past 3 days I have been feeling kind of bad again, bad thoughts, worries etc and it makes me worried that I will never be normal again. I notice that when I have bad days its usually right before my period comes, maybe its the hormone change bringing it on????? I am debating quitting lexapro but everything I read says stay on it for 6 months...what do I do? What did you do if you had similar situation???

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
(female)

rachael1 HB User
Re: Postpartum depression & ANXIETY, long, but really need advice

hi deverly, im a mum too, and a newbie to this forum. Im sorry i cant answer your question about the meds; but if you need another mum to chat too, here i am.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Deverly, I would suggest tackling the anxiety in therapy. I overcame anxiety in therapy.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

yes hormone changes can increase anxiety. also you could try celexa which is an older version of lexapro. i am sensitive to anti's and i could tolerate the celexa. it did make me feel really tired but i was on other stuff too. i could still go to the gym or take walks or go to dances. just had to have my nap. hope this helps. God bless

Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Going through pregnancy and giving birth and breast feeding takes so much out of your body. I've had three children and I felt okay after my first but my second was hard and my third I actually did get PND and was on an anti depressant for a while.

Make sure you take a good vitamin B complex and perhaps take a zinc supplement as well. I've done some reading and having babies can increase the copper levels in your body which can affect your moods, and zinc helps remove copper from the body so even doing something as simple as taking a couple of supplements might help you feel better.

I went on zoloft for a year and it helped my anxiety but in the end I had no motivation to do ANYTHING - I just felt numb, like a blob. I take xanax when my anxiety gets too bad but that depresses me as well. Supplements don't work any miracles for me. Make sure you eat properly, and investigate a good all-round supplement and maybe go to a naturopath. Enjoy your baby, they're not little for long. But keep in mind that much as we love them (our children), being at home with them isn't always what it's cracked up to be so don't feel guilty if occasionally you feel bored or fed up.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

declansmom HB User

HI deverly2005,
Your not alone! I went through the same thing. I have been on Celexa since Jan 06. It really helped me. It did not cure my anxiety or bad thoughts, but it helped me get back to reality and easier to get out of bed. I still struggle with sometimes being alone with my two year old i start to feel that anxiety and bad thoughts if I am a good mother, but i work really hard at staying busy, singing songs and trying to keep my mood upbeat. I know it is hard to fake it, but sometimes, it makes you realize that it is mind over matter. It only happens every now and then so I am much improved from when he was born. I had a lot of complications with birth and he was colic for 4 months and the list goes on. But it gets easier for sure!! My son is such a joy! You really have to retrain your brain after childbirth. It is still a struggle for me and just knowing I am not alone really helped me.

I know what you are going through.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
(female)

justlilme HB User

Hi Deverly. I suggest you start keeping a daily log of your emotions and feelings. You may be right in thinking your moods have something to do with your cycle. I was diagnosed with depression a couple months ago, then my husband told me that he noticed a pattern over the last two years that coincided with my period. I told my family doctor and he told me to go see my obgyn, with whom I have an appt next month. I think the condition is called PMDD.

Don't stop your meds until you talk to your doctor and don't stop seeing your therapist. Hang in there. I'm a mom, too, and I'm here for support.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
(female)

violaroses HB User

I had what you had!!! plus my anxiety made me not be able to sleep, so I went without sleep for 5 days with twins. but guess what ((((()))) I thought I would die because the worrying, the anxiety, the depression was so bad, i never ever felt that way in my life. why didnt doctors tell us this could happen.

taking walks, showers, loving books , therapy are all good but what is going on is the hormones in your body. you are in the right direction with xanax. just make sure you have somebody with you so u dont get addicted to it., taking an antidepresent such as paxil will help. but i am sorry to tell you that it takes 5 weeks for the med to feel like its working. i am sorry for the time. you will feel very very tired, its dissapointing, when you already are so tired.
you are a good mom, its not you, its your body. ((()))))

Closed Thread