It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
Post partum depression/anxiety

Hi all

My son is 8 months old. I went on antidepressants a week after he was born due to severe debilitating anxiety (couldn't eat, or function) I have a difficult past, with a loss of a 36 week old baby at birth in 2005 and then was hospitalized shortly after for deep vein blood clots in my legs. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital. After a year I got pregnant again and had a very difficult pregnancy mentally and physically. The antidepresants helped so much but caused so much weight gain. I have been off them for 3 months and now the last week or 2 have been having difficulty dealing with stress, excessive worry, anxiety. IT has not effected my quality of life yet but just feels so rotten. Every night I start getting THE FEAR. I really don't want to take the med again, though it works beautifullly. I have IBS also and it has really been flaring up. I was wondering, has anyone else dealt with this type of thing? ARe there alternatives to meds? I could really use some support. My baby has been chronically sick with ear infections and now they are talking surgery. That and basic life stuff has been putting me in a very nervous state! Thanks for listening !

Old 04-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User
Re: Post partem depression/anxiety

I know what you mean and how you feel. I know what post partum and anxiety feels like. I was on thyroid medication before I got pregnant. But as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I got off of it and got back on it after I had my little bean. Whoa what a difference it made. I did't get back on it until maybe 1 month post partum. I was just too lazy, but glad I did!!!!

One of my cleints, who is a OB/GYN, said that 75% of women who are diagnosed with post partum/anxiety, don't need depression/anxiety medications. But infact should have their Thyroid checked. The thyroid is our body's central control center which controls how quickly we burn energy, makes proteins and how sensitive the body should be to hormones. I even saw on Oprah sometime ago where they did a whole show on how doctors fail to check the FULL thyroid panel in blood tests and how too many people are misdiagnosed with depression and anxiety intead of checking their thyroid levels first. If your thyroid is low, then it will definitely cause symptoms and feelings of depression and anxiety. I know this first hand as I have low thyroid levels. When I'm NOT on my thyroid, I feel fatigued, anxious, depressed, sluggish etc.... When I'm on it, I feel WONDERFUL and I started to shake all the nasty baby weight that was starting to get stubborn.

I'm NOT trying to say you don't have depression/anxiety, BUT, if you really hate taking the current meds for your symptoms and feel that you don't need to be on them and it could be something else, go back in and ask your doctor to REALLY thouroughly check your thyroid----he needs to check ALL panels:

Anti-Thyroid Antibodies (Thyroglobulin Antibodies and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies)

Thyroid panel I (T3 Uptake, T4 Total, T7, and TSH)

Thyroid Panel II (Free T3, Free T4, and TSH)

TSI/TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin and TSH)

TSH

But, if you're thyroid is OK, then you might be on the right track. My thyroid levels fell within the "normal" range, but were on the low side. So, even if they're on the lower side, but still within range, it still does call for some medical intervention at times---like in my case. I go to a Endocrinologist for this as they are specialized in this field. My general practitioner is good at what he does, but I felt that I should go to someone more specialized and well versed in this area.

I really hope this helps you open up your options....

SMiles!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread