It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Unhappy My friend is suffering from severe Post Partum Depression.......

Hi all. My best friend just delivered her beautiful son last week, and haven't spoken to her since the hospital. She left me a message the other day telling me how she's doing really badly, and she can't even talk about it. I was worried, and not really in the know of what's going on. She called me last night, and could barely speak. She said she had to be admitted to a psych. ward in the local hospital and was given zoloft, and told she was suffering from PPD. I am so concerned about her. She also has a 28 month old, and said she doesn't even want to be around her own children. Her Mom and husband are there for her now 24/7, but her husband has to return to work on Monday. I don't know if there is anything I can do for her. She made it sound like she didn't want any visitors (which I understand) but I would like to help somehow, like bring dinners over. Has anyone here suffered form this so severely? She was given zoloft, but it's nausiating her so badly, she already lost 25 lbs since giving birth, they would like to try Pail next. Any advice? It's really hard knowing she's going through this............

Last edited by dizzygirl; 04-28-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

kittykatmomma HB User
Re: My firend is suffering from severe Post Partum Depression.......

hi dizzy,
i know what your friend is going through, if she has family over helping her, then go over with a coffie or somthin and try to get her out of the house, take her to get a manicure or somthin, stayin in the house will not help her... if she doesnt want to go out bring over some movies, explain to her that you are her friend and want to come over and hang out with her... im not sure what the weathers like where you are but i know it would have made me feel good to have a friend at that time. i was depressed for almost a year and it took alot to get myself out, so dont push to hard but show her your there for her, and im sure it will help
i hope your friend starts to feel better, remember giving her somone to vent to will help her alot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

kittykatmomma- I'm so sorry you went through this too. I think that people have a hard time understanding it. Did you take any medication? I'm hoping that the medication can give her a jumpstart to getting well again. I want to call her and suggest I stop by or even take her daughter for a walk so she can get rest, but I don't want to impose. I kind of get the feeling that she doesn't want anyone around. I realize that if she got out for a walk or something it might make her feel better for a bit, but it's actually getting her to that point. Plus she now has 2 kids to get out of the house with. I will try again next week, when her husband goes back to work. Thank you for your advice, I will let you now how it goes on Monday......

Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

Hi! I also know what shes going through..i had post partum depression really bad after my son was born in July..he was first born though and i was single, doing it alone and couldnt stand it..i got to the point where my cousin would take him every night and i would go to the bar and drink my problems away...i knew i had to come to my senses so i went to the doctor and he put me on anti-depressants..they actually wouldnt let me leave the office when i was there because they thought i was going to kill myself..but i talked to the doctor and a nurse adn they finally let me leave after like 2 hours..it took a little while, but i got through it and she will too..she might seem like she wants no visitors and i was the same way to an extent..i didnt want to talk to my family about my problems..i only wanted to talk to my friends...just offer any help she needs and maybe take her dinner and talk or do something fun where she can get her problems off her chest...even though she may act like she doesnt want to talk, shell probably feel a lot better if she does talk to someone about everything

Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Hey Dizzy,

I haven't experienced this personally, neither do i know of anyone close to me who has, however i feel that your friendship is sooo tight & from your post alone.... it is obvious that you care deeply for your friend!

In regard to whether or not you should go around & see her or take her meals etc..... i think she would really appreciate it, & although she may not seem like she is greatful or appreciative.... i'm sure she will realise just how much she needs you around. Even if it's just for someone to talk to.

I feel that the fact that she messaged you & told you her feelings is a huge indicator that she wants you around & that she could do with your support right now.... so do what you think is best ok & let her know that you are there to listen to her 100% without judgement.

All the best Dizzy & also best wishes to your friend.... i'm sure she'll get through this. And remember, you are a great friend.

Take care, Crystal

Old 04-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Sara, wow, you're very strong to realize you had a problem, I'm glad you've gotten help, and you seem to be better now. Thanks for your advice, I will call her and just tell her I'm coming over and going for a walk, and bring dinner.

NumbOne- thank you for your kind words, she is a very close friend to me, and I can feel the pain in her voice when she was telling me, she was actually trembling. I hope she gets the right medication for her, and gets through this, thanks again.

Closed Thread