It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User
Ppd??

Okay for those of you who are are 2nd time moms and more, I wanted to know if you've had it with your first and did you get it with your 2nd?? A lil about what happened with this pregnancy, I had DS early he was born at 36wks and 5d from a seperated placenta and uterus. I have kind of blamed myself for him being early and the problems. I had hypertension and pre eclampsia with this one. He is a week old today and it hit me really hard last nite. I didnt want to take care of him, but I knew I had to. I lost it and just cried for like 2 hrs. DH doesn't know what to do, thank goodness he's here this time, but it feels as though he's not because he's in the Army, and well that's a pain in itself enough. It took me 2 months to admit it with my first son that I had PPD and just kind of got over it. Never got any medication, because i've been medicated before for depression, and just dont like what it does. But it's hit harder and faster this time. Any input would be apprecaited. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Ppd??

I had it after both of my last pregnancies and am expecting it again after this one. With the first, it was never diagnosed or treated, I only realized it well after the fact that was what was going on. With my 2nd, I didn't realize it (I was crying all the time for no reason but it didn't involve the baby more just sleep-deprivation and being irritated with any little thing DH did or didn't do, even though I knew in my mind it was no big deal, I just couldn't let it go) but my OB diagnosed it as PPD and put me on Paxil. The meds suck and the Paxil made me really tired by early afternoon, even when the baby started sleeping through the night. They tried to switch me to Welbutrin but I had a bad reaction to that one and decided no more meds for me. It went away on it's own after that and I didn't need anything else to treat it, but my OB mentioned that St. John's Wort is a natural anti-depressant that doesn't have the side effects of the prescription drugs if I felt I needed something. I have also heard that Sam-e is another natural anti-depressant. You can buy either at the pharmacy, but I'd talk to your OB first before self-medicating, even with natural remedies.

I'd recommend calling your OB and talking to him/her about the situation. It makes it worse when you feel like things are out of control, you know in your mind that how you're feeling isn't normal for you, but feel powerless to control it. It's rough enough having a newborn and very little sleep while you're recouperating from childbirth, and to add PPD on top of it can seem unbearable. I would call your OB and ask about the St. John's Wort, Sam-e or other alternatives if you don't do well on the meds. There are things they can do to help you, you don't have to suffer through this. Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

alpdance HB User

I think I had a mild case after my first, but after my second I had it much worse. I think the reason was because after my son was born, he had reflux which was causing him to gag and choke and he even stopped breathing and turned a little blue at one point (luckily we were on the phone with the nurse at that time and she helped us through it). Also at two days old he spit up what looked like blood and we rushed him to the ER, turns out it was from my breasts being so sore. At two weeks he was hospitalized for breathing trouble due to the reflux. I was trying to deal with him not nursing well and was terrified constantly that he would choke or stop breathing. I was struggling with the fact that I would have to give him formula, and as you mentioned, blaming myself. I believe all this caused me to have a pretty serious case of PPD, although mine manifested more as anxiety. When he was about 5 months I had a severe anxiety episode which landed me in the ER after which I began taking medication. The medication worked well for me (Paxil) but I completely understand not wanting to take meds. I think it is perfectly understandable given your situation that it hit you harder and faster this time around. It's good that you have recognized it early and are ready to do what you can to get better. It could get worse (as in my case it didn't really hit until 5 months) so hopefully you will be able to get some support soon, be it therapy or meds or whatever works for you. Good luck to you.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I have anxiety (GAD) and am pregnant with our second baby. I went off all meds to get preg, and have felt great this preg, but am worried that after it will all come back. Don't know that it will, and praying that it won't. I had mild case of PPD with my DD. Only lasted a couple weeks. Due to her not wanting to nurse well. Once that was established, I was fine. This time I feel that I will have it again, but hopefully mild again. I will not go on permanent meds either. Unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. What I was given for an "as needed medication" was Hydroxizine. It is basically an antihistimine that really helps out. You can take it every 4 hours as needed, and works within a 1/2 hour!! This is something I would suggest to you, so you can work through this mess and not be "hooked" on the heavy stuff. Or maybe xanax or something that you just don't have to take daily. Good luck. I know how you feel and you will get better!

Closed Thread