It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
Could it be postpartum depression?

I just had my baby 12 days ago and don't feel completely the same since then. I know my hormones are going crazy at this time and of course I'm very busy taking care of my baby as well as my 2 yr. old. I feel like I'm being too anal about the way I want things to be. I've been snapping at my husband all the time for petty things...I'm either a complete (you know what!) or I fly off the handle and cry about every little thing I normally wouldn't cry about.

I haven't lost interest in my children which I know is a good sign. My symptoms have mainly been the crying about everything/getting mad about stupid things and I get headaches a lot. I've been waking up with them for the past 4 days. I had a C-section so I have to try to take it easy around the house...but it's like I've turned into this control freak and I'm asking my husband to do all these things around the house for me and if he doesn't do them right away I get really mad. I was never like this before this 2nd baby so I honestly don't know what's gotten into me.

I don't know if this is just normal stuff that happens or if it really is ppd. My husband is convinced it is and he tells me to stop crying & feeling sorry for myself and to get over it but I can't just "get over it." I never felt like this after having my 1st baby and I just don't get why I do feel like this now. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it I guess b/c as happy and blessed as I feel to have my beautiful perfect children I get upset about every little thing and my husband just makes it worse by snapping back at me and saying/doing things that he knows will upset me even more.

Any advice/info on this subject (from a woman & man's perspective) would help out a ton! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
(female)

lv2srf HB User
Re: Could it be postpartum depression?

Hi Brooke,
Yeah, 12 days since birth...baby blues happens within the first 2 weeks, 3 at the outside. Since you've got two kids and you know you weren't like this with the first one, it's worth talking to your doctor. You know yourself better than anyone, and if you think something isn't right, it probably isn't.

It sounds like you're having an anxious time, too, and that you're trying to manage it by trying to hold on tight to everything. It's hard to imagine being able to meet the needs of your two little ones and your dh, not to mention your own needs, isn't it. If you try a search for support for postpartum you may find something in your area specifically. There's a ton of info on the internet about postpartum depression; some of it in the US and some of it international. One source, in South Africa, has a really good postnatal depression quiz, with a lot of symptoms listed.

PPD is really treatable. Therapy, meds, separately or the combination help tremendously. I had the anxious postpartum, along with some scary thoughts--which are pretty common with the whole PPD realm. It was about 3 weeks of Zoloft and I really felt a LOT like myself again. What they didn't tell me at the time was a person needs to stay on meds for a minimum of 6 months consistently, not just until you feel better. --would have been good to know. So, call your doc (that you feel most comfortable talking to) on Monday. Some aren't comfortable treating mental health issues. If that's the case, ask for a referral, oh, and that blood work be done to rule out thyroid imbalances or anemia. You will get through this, altho "snapping out of it" is unrealistic--just to let your husband know. It's a roller coaster ride for a bit, but with support and treatment you'll be there in "no time". hth

Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Could it be postpartum depression?

Hi Brooke,
You're going through a lot right now. You just had a new baby and surgery 12 days ago. You also have a 2 yr old to care of and your hormones are probably a little out of whack. I'd give it a little bit more time. I had my daughters 15 months apart, C-section also. I remember how overwhelming it was taking care of a new born and a toddler, recovering from surgery and getting very little sleep. It takes time to learn how to juggle a new born and a (usually jealous) toddler. Don't be so hard on yourself. The world won't end if the housework doesn't get done. Take care of yourself and if you don't feel better soon, see your doctor.
Best wishes,
JB

Closed Thread