It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User
Post partum depression/extreme baby blues?

Hi all,

I had my little boy March 20th. Since then, I have been battling what is either mild depression or really bad baby blues, depending on whom you talk to.

I am taking an antidepressant and have started seeing a counselor. I am also trying to carve time out to be alone or take naps ( my baby still gets up 2 times a night - he is bottle fed). I exercise when I can.

I think I may be feeeling a bit better.

I just want to know if anyone else is dealing with this (or has in the past)?

Thanks,

Jen

Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Post partum depression/extreme baby blues?

Hi Jen,

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, and at such a joyous time.
I personally did not have pp (or extreme baby blues) after ds was born, but I was warned against it and monitored after he was born because I have a history of pretty bad depression. I've been lucky enough to be feeling pretty darn good though since he's been around (he's 13.5 mo now). I do have some feelings of depression/sadness out of nowhere once in awhile, although it's not nearly often enough to be serious.
How long have you been on the anti depressant? I ask because if you're still feeling pretty low, it might not be the right one for you (depending on length of time on it). But I commend you on trying to take time for yourself, and seeing a counsellor. Sometimes just talking to somebody is a great relief in itself.
Good job on your lo only getting up twice a night! I think at that age I was still waking 3 or 4 times to feed him!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

Ronor26 HB User

Hi Jen,
I can relate. I gave birth to my son May 10th and I have both PP depression, which is pretty much gone and OCD. I had OCD before I got pregnant, and was on antideppressants for this for the past 15 years. I was on 300 mg of Luvox before I got pregnant, and dropped down to 50 mg while pregnant. I had no anxiety or OCD thoughts while pregnant, but after I brought him home BAM...it hit me like a ton of bricks.

My son was in the special care nursery as he was 5 weeks premature, and I had no baby blues, PP depression or OCD thoughts while he was there...it wasnt until I brought him home 10 days later, it started. I would cry non stop, couldn't eat, all I wanted to do was sleep...and with my OCD I had really bad intrusive thoughts towards my son....this is what hurt me the most!!! I immediatley made an appt with my psychologists and have been seeing her ever since. Needless to say I'm back at 300 mgs of my luvox and starting to feel better. It takes a while for these anti-depressants to kick in...and although I still feel anxious and have some thoughts, I know I'm on the right track to getting better. What symptoms do you have to think you may have baby blues or PP depression??? Things will get better, just hang in there. Take your meds, make sure you have a support team, your family, friends etc and just know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I had my mom stay with me for 2 weeks, and my aunt still comes over every weekday morning to stay with me and let me rest!! you need all the rest you can get....so you should try and relax or even nap when you have a chance....Please let me know how you are doing....I would love to hear from you!! Take care....HUGGS
Robyn

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

o-tired-1 HB User
Smile Re: Post partum depression/extreme baby blues?

I am currently pregnant with my 5th baby. Yes, I'm crazy! lol I suffer from terrible ppd. My first...not so bad...just bluesy, mostly. My second? I was terrible! I never hurt or wanted to hurt him, but I had extreme bonding issues (didn't want him, etc.) I know that sounds horrible and I am ashamed of it even now. Of course now I wouldn't trade him for the world! Anyhow, I mentioned it to the doctor (though I was scared to) and he put me on Paxil. Well, that was awful, for me anyhow. I felt nothing. I was numb. Terrible. So after several months I discontinued it. Things eventually got better, thankfully. And my ppd seems to last about a year so it really took a while to bounce back. When #3 decided to make her debut in my belly, I got myself together and told the doctor my ppd history (diff doc.) She understood immediately! I was started to Wellbutrin in my third tri. It had time to kick in before her birth. I was a new woman! I felt great. Well, I felt "normal!" I didn't feel anything bad or good (meaning it was not like the numbness of Paxil...I was myself) and was able finally to enjoy my new baby! Number 4 was a basic repeat, medication-wise, of number 3. And this one will be no different. I continue taking Wellbutrin for approx. a year pp. This is just works for me and my story and I just thought I'd share.

Last edited by Mod08; 06-27-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Thank you for writing. Robyn, I hear you. It is hard to sit around and wait for the meds. to work.

I do feel better. My husband is on vacation this week so I am sleeping more. This helps a lot. My baby is still goni through a horrible sleeping phase but at least I can nap sometimes during the day now.

I just hate the numbness which is only interrupted by extreme grumpiness.

I will keep donig the things I know are right. I meet with my counselor today which is good.

More later.

-Jen

Closed Thread