It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
(female)

puk HB User
Postpartum depression

hello, Im 34 years old and suffer from a depression.A mild depression appeared when i moved 4 years ago to another country and didn't found a job. After 1 years i became pregnant and was during my pregnancy extremely happy with every aspect of my life. After my son was born I was very happy but after 3 months I got a postonatel depression and from that time it al started seriousely..I had to stop breastfeeding and my son was for the time that i was in hospital with my partner. I got a lot of medication and after one year I was in and out of hospital. after that i got a depresion...I wanted to die even though I had a lovely son and I love him. Upon til today i have many difficulties with living, I don't find any pleasure in life and find everything a real strugle.. I think it is better for me to go to back to work to not have so much time to think as it makes me crazy but I found it so hard to get started and go out there to look for a job. I lost my energy my positvity and can(t concentrate and feel so low and don't know how to deal with it. Is there maybe a 'personal' trainer who can help me out and get me back on track? It is al so hard as i wish to be dead every morning when I wake up but i ve got a little son and have to be here for him... Hope you can give me a good advice...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Postpartum depression

Hi Puk,

I've been in your situation, and your personal trainer is that little man who is the reason you have to haul yourself out of bed every day. Once you've got kids, that's it, they keep you going through times when you really don't think you've got another ounce of anything left in you. Here are some things that helped me:

Healthy diet - three good meals, healthy snacks in between (you need to eat every two to three hours to keep your blood sugar steady). Snack on things like fruit and nuts or veg sticks and hummous. Plenty of fruit and veg at each meal and limit sugar, caffeine, alcohol and wheat, all alter blood sugar and cause problems when you're depressed.

Relaxation/exercise - not the thing you want to do when you feel so low, but if you can manage to sit outside and deep breath in the fresh air for five minutes a day it will help. Put that baby in the pram and go for a walk every day, you'll both benefit from the fresh air and the exercise is good for you, I think it's endorphins? that get released and make you feel better.

Focus on your positives - write a list, every morning, of everything you've got - healthy baby, nice home, friends etc, etc - write down everything you can think of, from the smallest (got enought money in your purse to buy milk) to the biggest. It helps keep your mind off what you don't have and helps you to start noticing how much good stuff we all have and take for granted.

Try and do stuff you love - if you have a hobby you really enjoy, try spending some time doing it - hard with a baby, I know, but even if it's only ten minutes it's better than nothing. I also used to keep a list of my friends phone numbers on the wall by the phone and make myself ring people; it's amazing what your friends can get you through.

Is there any way you could do voluntary work whilst you look for a job? It's a kind of inbetween - there's a commitment and you keep yourself busy, but it's not as pressured as getting a job and keeping it. It might boost your confidence a bit and give you a 'practise' run at the real thing.

It does get better. You've been through a huge amount - even though babies are wonderful the strain of pregnancy and birth are pretty underestimated by a lot of people and can affect some more than others. Try to focus on today and not think too much about the future - I was terrible for doing that, but only think as far ahead as tea-time now.

It does get better, but it's a long road and sometimes you go back a bit. Just imagine you'd had a really bad car crash and broken all your bones. Even though everything would have healed by now, you'd still need to take up your old life again slowly a bit at a time. This is the same thing, go easy on yourself and try and take it little by little. You'll be doing something one day and suddenly realise you feel quite cheerful, or you'll go to bed one night and realise you've felt good all day. It does come eventually. Good luck xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

Janl20000 HB User
Re: Postpartum depression

This person is correct. u do need to get on with living and those are excellent suggestions, unless u have chronic depression like i have, and its hard to get out of bed let alone go for a walk or draw a picture. i have been fighting it for 20+ yrs and truly believe that you can recover, but u should get some support outside the home.

Closed Thread