It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
(male)

I Am Paranoid HB User
Questions about PPD

Hello. I'm a newbie here.

I would like the following questions answered if I may:

_ If a person was informed that he had been diagnosed with Paranoid Personality Disorder (PPD), would that cause him some distress? Is it better for the diagnosis to be withheld from him and treat him by telling him he will be treated for something else?

_ Should PPD be treated?

_ What would happen in a very dysfunctional unsupported hostile workplace if the PPD was left untreated?

_ Being that treatment for PPD takes 2 to 3 years and the end result being little or no change, is that a good reason for my employer to deny me the time off to get treated at my own time and expense? (I would take the time off without pay and return to my workplace when the therapy is completed.)

_ Is progressive discipline an effective way to scare an employee who doesn't know he's suffering from PPD to get a grip on his 'problem' and change his bad behavior at work?

_ Is a patient-therapist relationship created when a person 'consults' with a psychologist?

Thank you!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
(female)

Sunka HB User
Re: Questions about PPD

Hi, I read your post and would like to comment. I can't remember all your questions, but a few stick in my mind.
First of all, you should always be aware of your diagnosis. It's better to know what's going on, rather than sitting around wondering what's wrong with you...or having someone ask what's wrong with you and you don't have an answer. But having a diagnosis isn't a handy excuse for bad behavior; no matter what, you should strive to be the best person you can be whether it's in a relationship or at work or at home vegging on the couch. If your manager or Human Resources is concerned with your behavior then you should let them know what's going on because then they can steer you to sources to help you. Remember, they can't ask the specifics of a disability ((that's the law)) but you can let them know in a general way that there is a problem. About consulting a doctor, the first consult visit is supposed to be confidential, and any following treatment is confidential too. They can't discuss the specifics about your case until you sign a release form saying they can discuss your condition with someone. Personally, in my opinion, the only people you should allow to talk to your doctor is your family or some social service that's helping you. I would not allow your workplace to talk to your doctor, that's a little too intrusive and it will not help your paranoia to think people are discussing you behind your back. And, finally, having any kind of diagnosis can cause personal upset - that's a normal reaction. Just set yourself up for success by finding a good doctor ((sometimes that takes time)) and trusting that the doctor can help you. Just remember that you're not alone, there are hundreds of thousands of people who have some form of this illness. You can't be CURED but you can be TREATED successfully and go on to live a good life. You did a good thing by coming to these message boards because that's a way to connect with others who won't judge you and who can understand what's going on with you. Remember to be patient when you're looking for a reply, sometimes it takes time for people to respond. Well, that's all I have to say for right now. I hope I was able to help a little. Try to have a good day, OK??? (((huggs)))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
(male)

I Am Paranoid HB User

Sunka, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to respond to many of my questions! You seem to be a caring soul.

--------------------------------

I would like the following REMAINING questions answered if I may:

_ Should PPD be treated?

_ What would happen in a very dysfunctional unsupported hostile workplace if the PPD was left untreated?

_ Is progressive discipline an effective way to scare an employee who doesn't know he's suffering from PPD to get a grip on his 'problem' and change his bad behavior at work?

_ Is a patient-therapist relationship created when a person 'consults' with a psychologist?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

- All mental disorders should be treated in the hope of giving someone a better passageway through life
- Added stress causes many people with mental illness and those without to act irrationally at times
- This is a very slippery slope for if the discipline is based off an action is one thing but if it is based off a perception spells lawsuit
- Not sure what the legal definition of a therapeutic relationship. But usually it is defined when the client and therapist agree to work together
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
(male)

I Am Paranoid HB User

trg247, you've answered my call. Thank you for your pinpoint answers. Have a very good day.

Closed Thread