It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Postpartum Depression (PPD) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #1

Sam Lowry HB User
Question Post Partum Depression - How can I help my wife?

Any recommendations of places to post questions about post-partum depression? My wife has it bad- but I don't know what to do. I'm a very helpful dad- and we're both working at home.

The baby is doing well - 6 weeks old (she was 3 weeks early).
Thanks,
Ray

Old 06-27-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
The best way to help her is to get her to see her doctor to get proper treatment. It could just be a matter of her taking antidepressants for a while to help things even out again. She could try talking to a counselor also.
She will need your support which you seem to be showing rather well by trying to find help.
If you can try to help her get out of the house more....it can be a bit overwhelming to work and live in the same place. Add a baby to that and the house can all the sudden seem quite small. Try to take evening walks or morning walks either with your wife or have her go with a friend.
Again she should see her doctor to see what he/she willd o to help your wife.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
I think Blastoff gave excellent advice!!! My friend was diagnosed with PPD and she didn't get help. She ended up spending weeks in the hospital until she was stable enough to leave. It's very common for this to happen to women after a baby, mostly because of hormones being out of wack. Let her know that it usually doesn't get better on it's own, so she needs to see someone...the sooner the better!! I believe there is also a PPD board here, so try talking to them as well. I'm sure they can offer great support!!

Old 06-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #4

nville1 HB User
Your wife MUST see a doctor. She may not want to, but this is a very serious condition that is treatable.

They are also treating PPD with estrogen patches now, with good success.

Closed Thread