It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #1

worried22 HB User
Sperm Dying Inside A Condom

How long can sperm live while outside the body? For example my sister and her boyfriend broke up and they had sex like 4 days before there break up and when they did have sex he ejaculated in the condom so he threw it away in her trash can and the day they broke up she took it out and rubbed the semen on her vagina and now she thinks she can possible be pregnant is it possible or will the semen die in those 4 days? Please answer as soon as possible I am worried for her.

Please note edits to posts. Read posting rules,off board contact is not allowed. Please read Use proper language sticky and please watch your typing. It cna be distracting to read posts that capitalize every word.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 11-08-2004 at 06:00 PM.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
(female)

ibtara86 HB User
Re: Sperm Dying Inside A Condom

I may be wrong, and If I am someone please correct me. BUT, I dont think theres anyway she could be pregnant. Sperm, in the trash for 4 days?! I would say its dead! I've been trying for 4 months to get pregnant with the sperm inside me and still nothing.

So, I do Not think she is pregnant. Dont worry. :-) Good Luck to you and your sister!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

cuRIOUsLexy HB User

I know sperm can live up till 5 days INSIDE a womens body, but Im not sure about outside. I doubt it, and on top of that, your sister would need to be ovulating and very fertile for that old sperm to reach one of her eggs. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #4

-T- HB User

Dont worry you have nothing to worry about. Sperm can not live outside of the testies (once its been ejaculated and is in the open air). The longest it can live for is mere seconds to a few minutes. So there is no chance ths coudl result in pregnancy.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Actually T that is incorrect. If that were true then semen analysis( testing to see if a man had healthy active sperm) wouldnt exist,IVF,IUI,sperm donation and other such things wouldnt exisit. All require sperm to be exposed to the air anywhere from an hour up to 12 hours. The semen analysis is a test that is run over the course of several hours. Sperm can actually live between 4 to 12 hours outside the male body.
The above case with the sister is by far outside that window,so there is nothing to worry over in that case. The sperm would have all been dead.

For those that dont know what IVF and IUI are those are infertility treatments. IVF is where the egg and sperm are put togheter either in a dish or a sperm is directly injected into an egg. Of course during this time they are exposed to air. The IUI is where a semen sample is taken via cup from the male and then injected into the uterus. Once again in contact with air.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 11-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #6

-T- HB User

Ah I see. I was told otherwise. It really does contradict itself. Well at least we now know sperm doesn't live outside the human body for longer than 12hours.

Yep I know what semen analysis is. Thanks for putting me right about how long sperm lives for once its released.

Closed Thread