It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User
Pregnant from missing one pill?

I missed taking one birth control pill last Tuesday. I had sex that same day. Well the next day I took two as recommended to do when you miss one. What are the chances I could be pregnant from that? Today which is the 6th day after I had sex, I'm having these cramps. Could they possibly be implantation cramps? I heard they occur 5-10 days po. I'm not supposed to get my period for 6 and a half weeks now while on these pills. Should I just wait until then to see if I get my period?

Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: Pregnant from missing one pill?

hi,
i do know of someone who got pregnant by missing one pill as the cover stops due to the hormone levels dropping and this can cause ovulation. so it isnt impossible, although its very unlikely from just missing one pill. the risk increases with the more pills that are missed.
rather than taking two pills the following day the best thing to do is to get a morning after pill if you miss one again and use extra contraceptive cover in the meantime, as the morning after pill works differently and can stop an egg implanting etc.
id relax for now and take an HPT when your period is due

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

If you took 2 at the time you remembered, then you did the right thing. This is what most instruction booklets for birth control will tell you to do. As far as your chances of pregnancy, they are now higher because of this miss, but still not so likely. I think you will be fine.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hello.

Yes you can become pregnant from missing 1 pill. I became pregnant and I never missed any pills and took them the same time everyday. I think Im immune to BCP though.

But in your situation, the cramping is because you took 2 pills as recommended. Your body has 2 days worth of hormones to cope with so will give you cramping. Dont worry about this its normal.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thanks for your replies! I also for awhile wasen't taking the pill at the same time everyday. I'd be running around so much that I'd take one during the morning one day and the next day at night. Does that really increase your risk of pregnancy if you don't take the pill at the same time everyday? There was one time I missed two pills but I took two the next two days as recommended and then didn't have sex for a week. The cramping though that I got wasen't on the day I took two pills, it was 6 days after I took two pills. But I get cramping alot because of my endometriosis so I shouldn't be assuming its because of pregnancy or anything. I'll just wait and see if I get my period in 6 weeks. Thanks again!

Jenny

Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

I've decided I'm going to take a pregnancy test at the end of next week which will be 2 and a half weeks since the day I had sex and missed my pill. I heard two weeks was the earliest you could test. I'm definitely though getting the digital test, I like them a lot better because they either say pregnant or not pregnant and you don't have to worry about if there is a line there or not. Last time I tested with the line test there was a faint line so I thought I was pregnant but then I went to the doctors and had a urine and blood test which both were negative. So I don't think those tests are very accurate. If I get a negative at the end of next week though I'll just wait another two weeks and test again. If still a negative then I'll be pretty sure I'm not pregnant. I'm still going to continue taking my birth control pills unless I find out for sure that it is positive. Does that sound like a good plan?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Why don't you just go get a blood test at the end of next week instead of taking a HPT, that way itll be more accurate and you most likely won't have to test again 2 wks later if its negative like you said.
and yes continue to take your BC pills, thats always a good idea.

AND to answer this question you had...
Does that really increase your risk of pregnancy if you don't take the pill at the same time everyday?

YES that does increase your chances of pregnancy, esp since you said you have taken one in the morning one day and the next day at night, thats not good. Always try to take them on time the same day! That's why they give you directions to do that. Im sure you don't want anymore worries when you could prevent them by just taking them on time. :-)

good luck.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thanks for your advice. That sounds like a good idea except I did have a blood pregnancy test like 3 weeks ago. I'm just wandering what my doctors going to be thinking about all this. But I suppose the most important thing is just to find out the most accurate way which is a blood test. I am 19 and still live with my parents so I'll have to find a way to sneek to the doctors like I did before. Last time I had my boyfriend bring me but this time I don't want to worry him until I know for sure so I think i'll just have my best friend go with me.
Thanks for telling me that it is important to take the birth control pills at the same time each day. It did say in the instruction book to try to take the pills at the same time but it didn't say that it could increase your chances of pregnancy if you didn't. Another thing I don't understand is why they only instruct you to use backup birth control if you miss 2 or more pills, why not with just one if you can become pregnant from just that?

Old 06-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

I made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday June 27th which will be exactly two weeks from the time I had sex which was on June 13th. This should be enough time right for it to show accurately on a blood pregnancy test? What's the earliest a blood test can detect pregnancy at?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

I would think that would be enough time for it to show up.

Good luck, i hope you get the result you want!

Old 06-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thanks! I'll let you know what I find out Tuesday.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

well...i went to the doc today...she gave me a urine pregnancy test which turned out negative. I didn't ask for the blood one,...I'm pretty sure that one is right. But if I don't get my period in 5 weeks like I'm supposed to then I'll get tested again. I'm going to start taking my pill though right before I go to bed which is around 11 each night. So I shouldn't have anymore worries.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Now I'm starting to think maybe I tested too soon. Could two weeks be too early to tell on a urine test? Has anyone else not been able to tell that early? And I seem to have a lot of pregnancy symptoms that seem to be getting worse from the time I tested, my breasts are sore and swollen still, I feel nausiated quite frequently, and I've been extrememly crabby the past few days,hungry alot and this weird bubbly feeling in my lower abdomen. As of now I'm just planning on waiting the four weeks until I'm supposed to get my pill period and seeing if I get it or not. If I don't or even if I bleed just a little I'm going to take a home pregancy test. The only thing is thats confusing me is I've been bleeding everyday from these birth control pills which is probably becuase I've been missing some and messing up my hormones. But would it be possible to be pregnant still? Any advice would be really appreciated!

Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 AM   #14
(female)

xxkandikiddiexx HB User

Urine tests cant measure the level of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) under 25. It is best to wait untill the day you expect your period to use a home pregnancy test. Having the blood test done can measure the ammount of HCG from 0 on up. Which means you can get your results faster.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

I just took another urine pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative. It would have been 3 weeks yesterday from the time I had sex and missed my pill. So do you think three weeks is long enough time for it to tell accurately? I won't know if I get my period for another 4 weeks because of the birth control that I'm on.

Closed Thread