It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
couldnt find baby on scan?? advice needed

i need some advice for a friend of mine- she suspected she was pregnant as she hadnt had a period for 3 months and was being sick everyday and feeling tired. then over the last few days she started spotting. i kept telling her to do a pregnancy test. well today she finally went to the hospital and she texted me to say she had two pregnancy tests done there which had both been positive but when they had scanned her they couldnt find the baby. They've told her that she might of miscarried or got her dates wrong and that shes got to go back there for another scan next week. she told me shes worried they got her scan mixed up with someone else's, but i explained that this was unlikely as they would of been able to see what was going on when they actually do it, (although i do know that at the early pregnancy clinic at our local hospital they wont give you the results of the scan until afterwards). She asked what else could of caused her pregnancy test to be positive if there was no baby, i explained that the positive result is hardly ever wrong, the only thing i could think of was that the pregnancy hormone was still there if she had miscarried. But if she was as far as 3 months pregnant, surely the baby would of been obvious on the scan even if she had lost it? she'd had no real bleeding just spotting.
i want to help her but ive been told she has lied about this sort of thing before, she constantly texts me all year round saying that she thinks she is pregnant, and ive got to say all this has confused me as it doesnt quite seem to make sense. Can anyone give any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: couldnt find baby on scan?? advice needed

What kind of scan did they do? Was it an ultrasound? Did they check for a tubal pregnancy? If not, it would be a valid question for her to ask them to do that.

I hope all is ok with her

Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

yes, it was an ultrasound they did, im not sure if they checked for a tubal pregnancy. i would of thought they would of explained more to her at the hospital but she seems to be very confused.
She just wants to know why her pregnancy tests were positive if they couldnt find the baby on the scan? if she was just a few weeks pregnant it would make sense because it could of been a chemical pregnancy or an early m/c but she says she is 3 months pregnant as that is how long she has gone without a period.
I dont want it to sound like i am thinking badly of her, i am concerned but as a lot of things dont add up i am wondering if this could be some sort of cry for help. She has apparently lied about this before and she is desperate for a baby and has been for some time

Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Wow-
I just don't know what to say to that. I do hope that whatever is going on, she will be ok. If she is seeking attention, then she may need to see a psychologist to get to the root of the attention seeking. Either way, I know it's tough to watch your friend go through this.

Lezlee

Old 08-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

Her GP surgery will get a report from the hospital and I would advise her to go and ask them the questions she is asking you.
As you are not sure that she is telling the truth I would try to keep neutral about it, otherwise you would just be encouraging her to continue doing this to you.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

i think thats probably a good idea- i have tried saying that to her but she still keeps on calling etc!!
things have got even crazier since my last post- i do believe shes been to the hospital as she read out some notes (the results of her scan) to me over the phone and that part sounded fairly convincing, her scan apparently showed no visible pregnancy but was enlarged by 15mm and they also discovered she had a bicornuate uterus with a mixed echo area in one horn. On the advice of someone who replied to my thread on here, i asked if there was a sac or anything on the scan (as that could mean a very early pregnancy that wasnt yet showing or a blighted ovum). She replied that she didnt think so as nothing was said to her, but then minutes later she started talking about a sac! It was as if she almost wanted to agree with what id suggested. As she'd apparently had a "lump of skin" come out of her, she was convinced she'd lost the baby so went back to the hospital, where she said they examined her and told her that she didnt need a D&C as her uterus was clear and everything had come out of her, but she said they had also told her she could still be pregnant as her uterus was swollen and her cervix was closed (which i thought would of been open if she was miscarrying). So they want her to go back for another pregnancy test next week. She said that her boyfriend is one of triplets so they were concerned there could be another one or two babies still inside her. I dont know what to make of any of this? anyone have any ideas??

Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
(female)

whodidwhat HB User

Good advice from others BUT, I too was pregnant and they did not find my baby on the scans. I had several ultrasounds done and an internal ultrasound done. No fetus was found although my blood tests showed I was pregnant. The Dr's scheduled a D&C. I couldn't bring myself to go so I asked for 1 more scan. Guess what! There on the monitor was my little baby, moving around, perfect heartbeat. No one can explain why the tests showed nothing but I am convinced she was a miracle. I am so glad I did not go for the D&C. I would have murdered my baby. Today she is a smart healthy 3 year old whom I love greatly and am convinced she has a great purpose in life!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

MamaSpecs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodidwhat
Good advice from others BUT, I too was pregnant and they did not find my baby on the scans. I had several ultrasounds done and an internal ultrasound done. No fetus was found although my blood tests showed I was pregnant. The Dr's scheduled a D&C. I couldn't bring myself to go so I asked for 1 more scan. Guess what! There on the monitor was my little baby, moving around, perfect heartbeat. No one can explain why the tests showed nothing but I am convinced she was a miracle. I am so glad I did not go for the D&C. I would have murdered my baby. Today she is a smart healthy 3 year old whom I love greatly and am convinced she has a great purpose in life!
OMG your story is incredible and a miracle no doubt, but there is something extremely haunting if not horrifying about your story. I mean, thank god you got one more scan. I hope your case was just extremely rare if you know what I mean. Sheesh.. we really do need to be our own advocates, don't we?

As for the OP's post- not sure if a "molar" pregnancy is the same as a chemical pregnancy but my sister in law suffered two of them in a row- which gained her the title as the only known woman in the US to ever have two molar pregnancies. That is where the body does everything for pregnancy (placenta, symptoms, hormones, etc) but no baby. That is my understanding, anyway.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
(female)

kimb0091 HB User

I feel for you. It's hard to sympathize with friends when you are not completely sure you can trust them. I have a friend who, twice, told all of us she was pregnate with twins. The first time, once 8 months came around and she wasn't showing and quit talking about it, we let it go (she's lied in the past). The second time she said she was, we had asked her husband if he was excited about having twins, he was like, "what?". Didn't have a clue, but she had been telling us for months. She never showed us any ultra sounds (she said she never got any), and then at around 5 months she said one of the babies had died and she went to Georgia over the weekend and had an abortion on the other one because they found out it had down syndrom, which she said runs in her family. COME ON!!!! She's 20 years old!! I think she finally realized that there was no way we'd ever believe her if she told us again, and she hasn't been pregnate or told us she was pregnate for a year now. I feel so bad for her, I just keep wondering what's going on in her mind that she would feel like she had to do that. I love her, but the lies really get to you after a while...

Closed Thread