It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #1

cupcake18 HB User
a question...

I was just wondering...this seemed like an appropriate board to ask this on.. I have had unprotected sex a couple times...i realize this is risky..im not TRYING to get pregnant...but im not really NOT trying either. I have a pack of pills...and the on the days that i had sex i took 2 birth control pills. I do NOT take them regularly...and i know that doctors say you should be on a pill regularly for about a month before not using a backup method..but i was wondering if anyoneknew the odds of the birth control pill negating any chance to conceive.? any feedback would be nice....any guesses..?

Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: a question...

No way will what you are doing protect you against pregnancy. As you said, you need to be taking birth control pills everyday for at least 3 weeks for them to be effective, as this is how long it takes for them to get into your system and shut your ovaries down. This is why most doctors will advise you to cover yourself with another form of contraception such as condoms when you first start taking the pill, until it has had a chance to take effect.
The morning after pill is the only type of pill you can take once after unprotected sex which will help prevent pregnancy. A general birth control pill wont. It needs to be taken properly and regularly.
You are probably not doing your body much good by just taking odd pills like that, it could cause disruptions with your cycle. I would either take the pill regularly or use a different method of contraception if you want to avoid pregnancy.

Last edited by fallen_angel; 08-13-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #3

cupcake18 HB User

well i was aware that its not a 'form of contraception'...i had already said that..i was just wondering what the ODDS would be..that the birth control would take effect...how long it would take the active ingredient in the pill to actually kick in. i know that you are supposed to use a backup method until you are regularly into routine with the pill for about a month...but when the pills is used correctly, its more effective than condoms. you can use a condom once and your chances are still pretty good that you wont get pregnant...if you think about it in that perspective..i was just wondering..what the odds would be of only taking birth control pills a few times..if they COULD have the same effect as taking them normally. they do, after all, send the same message to your body that they would BEFORE you had sex...doesnt make a difference..the pill dont know if youve done it or not. and IF it has the same effect, then it SHOULD cleanse the lining in my uterus. like i said..im not TRYING to get pregnant, but im not NOT trying either. i wasnt really looking for a method of contraception...just wondering the odds....thanks for answering :-)

Old 08-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

kayleighsmom HB User
Question Re: a question...

Just caught up on your previous posts. Just a question: What has changed that you think your "unplanned" pregnancy will be welcomed by the father? Is this the same man/boy who made you have an abortion a few months ago?

Old 08-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

The 'odds' are that it wont work. if it would they wouldnt advise you to use back up methods for up to a month when you start taking it. Its true that the pills will send messages to your body in order to stop you releasing eggs (the pill works by fooling your body into thinking its pregnant, as im sure you know) but it takes time to work. If you had sex even a few days before ovulation and then took a couple of birth control pills, theres an extremely good chance you would still release an egg as you wouldnt have a high enough or consistant enough levels of the hormones in your bloodstream to prevent it.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

It seems that you are a teen engaging in risky behavior. If you are not prepared for a child and all of the financial and personal responsibilities that go along with, find a good source of birth control. The purpose of birth control is to prevent ovulation. One or two pills will not prevent ovulation and thus, offers no protection.

Last edited by GoldenMom; 08-13-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Closed Thread