It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
(male)

Cod19 HB User
Getting Pregnant After Ovulation

If a girl is most likely to ovulate on a certain day, what are the chances that the girl could be pregnant if the sexual intercourse took place 2-3 days after the "most likely ovulation day"?

It is my understanding that for a girl to get pregnant after ovulation, is very low due to survival rates of sperm to eggs. Any truth to this?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

minnesotagirl HB User
Re: Getting Pregnant After Ovulation

OK, first of all, you say a girl is "most likely" to ovulate on a certain day. I'd like stress that "most likely" does not mean definately. "Most likely" means that there is a chance she will ovulate on a different day. This is very true, as a woman's cycle can vary. In fact, when a woman is trying to get pregnant, she may measure her temperature to determine which day she is ovulating, and even then it is not concrete science. So, you can't really go by the "most likely" day of ovulation if you're trying to avoid pregnancy.

Plus, ovulation can occur over the course of several days. So, if sexual intercourse took place 2-3 days after her ovulation "day," she still might be ovulating, as it is not really a day, but more like an "ovulation period." So, I'd say the chances of pregnancy are pretty good 2-3 days after the "day."

Especially when you factor in that cycles vary. Here you have a particular day when a girl is most likely to ovulate but it also wouldn't be unusual if she ovulated 2-3 days before or after (or anytime within the month really), so you really have this spread of time, plus considering she might ovulate for longer than just a day.

Yup, every way I look at this, 2-3 days after ovulation sounds like a good chance of pregnancy. Plus, sperm can live in a woman for about 2-3 days, so you have to think about that as well.

Best bet is to use protection (condom) and probably birth control too if you're not ready to have a baby. Or just wait to have sex until you're ready.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
(male)

Cod19 HB User

So does a girl's ovulation period (as you call it) fluxuate month-to-month even when a girl has a constant 28-day cycle? I know that my sister knows the exact day her period is supposed to begin month after month and she has never been more than a few hours off at most. So does a girl's period consistentcy play any role at all?

Old 09-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

brattyvirgo HB User

[QUOTE=Cod19]So does a girl's ovulation period (as you call it) fluxuate month-to-month even when a girl has a constant 28-day cycle?QUOTE]

no depending on how long your period is is how long your cycle is ( the days you r not bleeding)

Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

A girl is most likely to ovulate 12-16 days before the start of her next period, so of course what exact stage she will ovulate depends on the length of her cycle, and very few girls have perfectly regular cycles each month.
There is a fertile "window" of 5 days in each cycle, this is the 5 days leading up to, and including, the day of ovulation. This is because sperm can live for up to 5 days in a woman's body in the right conditions, but an egg will only live for a maximum of 12-24 hours when released. Sex after ovulation has a pretty much zero chance of resulting in pregnancy, but this also depends on how sure you are that ovulation has definitely occured. But it is the days before ovulation that are much more of a risk

Last edited by fallen_angel; 09-11-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Closed Thread