It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

KT670 HB User
Question missed pill...should I be worried?

I have been taking my birth control pills at the same time everyday and never missed a pill for a month and a half, but Saturday I forgot to take one so I took 2 pills Sunday at my regular time (12 pm)...well I was having some breakthrough bleeding in the morning and then later that night my boyfriend and I had sex and he ejaculated inside me...should I be worried since I missed a pill the day before or am I covered?

Please let me know because I am new to birth control and am still not sure about it's effectiveness...

Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Unsure_88 HB User
Re: missed pill...should I be worried?

When was your last menstraul cycle...the best way to tell is if you missed is to check and see when you ovulate. If you missed the pill around the time you ovulate the chance is slim but there is still a chance. But since you doubled up the next day you should be fine...so the chance is slim that you can be pregnant.

I know you don't care to hear it, but me being 18 and pregnant, I would say having him use protection until you are bot at a much more stable age would probably be the best thing for the both of you now. Birth control is a good form of protection, but it is always safe to have two forms of protection. I know, I got pregnant twice using a condom (one pregnancy ended in a miscarriage) and I was only waiting it out to get birth control, but ended up being pregnant.

I do also know 3 or 4 people who have gotten pregnant while on the pill, and a few ladies here have said they got pregnant off the pill. So if you are worried about pregnancy and missing pills (which it is great I may add that you are actually on BC) but its always good to ease your mind when it comes to being safe.

but i would say one pill shouldn't have made you ovulate and doubling up the pill is always a good then when you miss a pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

minnesotagirl HB User

Actually, in very simple terms, what the birth control pill actually does is prevent you from ovulating. It actually tricks your body into thinking you are already pregnant so you don't drop down an egg each month, therefore you can't get pregnant because you're not ovulating (some pills also make your inner lining thicker, too, so sperm has a harder time of passing through where it needs to go to make baby).

Anyway, when you miss a pill, your body could start to ovulate after that day, because it didn't get the hormones required to keep "tricking" it to thinking it is pregnant.

I'd say it doesn't sound like that happened, and that you're OK. However, the actual instructions on your birth control should say that when you miss a pill, a back-up method (condom) should be used.

Each pill you miss makes it more likely that you'll ovulate that month, thus more likely to become pregnant. It throws off the regulated cycle the pills are trying to achieve.

When I've missed pills, I have taken the morning after pill, which could still be an option for you if you're really worried. I think you can take that up to 72 hours after you have sex. I've also not taken the morning after pill, followed the instructions to take 2 pills the next day, and didn't get pregnant.

Of course every woman's body is different. I'd say in this situation it is up to you and your doctor if you want to take the morning after pill. These types of adult decisions are why it is important to make sure you're mature enough to be having sex before you start.

Where were you in your pill cycle? Where you towards the end, and closer to taking your "blank" (period week) pills? If so, missing the pill could have actually started your period a little bit and that's why you had the bleeding, in which case you're probably not pregnant. But again, the decision in this case is best left up to you and your doctor. Next time, use a condom when you miss a pill!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

KT670 HB User

My last period was about 10 days ago or so. I missed the 6th pill in the pack. The pamplet that came with the pills said if you miss one pill that you don't need to use a back up method, but I wanted to check and make sure because I am new to the pill and not quite sure about it's accuracy. Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I will definitely be more careful about taking my pills from now on!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User

most drs will say by missing 1 or 2 pills if you have been on the pill long enough you should hav enough hormones in your system to not ovulate, but you should follow the instructions of taking the ones you miss to make sure, and a back up method can anlways help! you should be ok, tho.. good luck

Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotagirl View Post
Actually, in very simple terms, what the birth control pill actually does is prevent you from ovulating.
Actually, it's not that simple. Many women continue to ovulate while taking BCP but don't get pregnant because of the other things the pill does to prevent pregnancy.
It's all a delicate balance and every time you are late with a pill, you upset that balance of hormones. How much it's upset is determined by how long you miss for. One day is not supposed to be detrimental, but considering the pill is only 93% effective when not taken perfectly, you can see how the risk increases. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about 1 day.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
(female)

plainjayne HB User

once you forget to take your pill you arent covered for 7 days after so should refrain from sex for that period or use condoms. the pill isnt 100% reliable anyway so condoms should be used too. condoms are to protect you against std's so its always a good idea to use them even if you think your partner is disease free, not everyone tells the truth.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainjayne View Post
once you forget to take your pill you arent covered for 7 days after so should refrain from sex for that period or use condoms.
Actually, you should read the instructions that comes with your pills. Most (every singe one I've ever read, actually) say this is what to do if you miss three pills, not just one, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
(female)

plainjayne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
Actually, you should read the instructions that comes with your pills. Most (every singe one I've ever read, actually) say this is what to do if you miss three pills, not just one, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.
all the pills that i have used in the past have been like that maybe you have different pills to us who knows??? its quite obvious from quite a few posts that americans dont have the same things as us for example every american post i have read about the emergency contraceptive pill says you have 2 pills to be taken 12 hours apart. they have phased them out here we only get 1 pill.with all our pills they say you arent covered for 7 days later no one i know takes pills anymore either we are told to have injections or implants.a doctor here is reluctant to give out pills nowadays

Closed Thread