It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
(female)

FreakyMom HB User
Re: Seventeen and Planning Pregnancy

^_^ Yes, I understand that jobs are crucial. The best part of that is that him and I are on a job hunt as of right now. My Mother would be more than happy to spare money to help, but I wont take it, unless it was an emergency. Though I do not understand why we are being criticized. It's not your life, and like you said, Jesse, it will be effecting our lives more than anyone elses. I pretty much expected this to come, most wouldn't understand. Or someone will say they do understand that we are "immature" teenagers. hehe. If this is what Immature is..than..okay..I'm immature.

Last edited by FreakyMom; 06-05-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
(male)

father_to_be HB User

No YOU listen, first, she didn't say your advice was annoying, she said pushing it over and over again is. And second she said the girl should tell her parents that she is pregnant, were as my girl isnt, we are just planning it. Third im getting a bit tired of you calling us immature, we want advice, not name calling. Fourth, you have no clue about why we dropped out, so dont tell us it would have been best to stay. Fithly, we have been through more in our lives then most full adults, and i should know, i know a lot of them. Finnaly we have plans and ways of paying for the baby, and we will live with her mother until we find our own place at 18.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
(female)

FreakyMom HB User

^___^ lmao. Okay, thank you for the advice. And, best wishes to you, as well. Wow, must we be more specific in all of the information we give away. Jeez. And, no, we don't work in a grocery store. We're not that lucky, jk.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

Okay ive been reading this thread as it first started, and i'm really in shock at some of the things mentioned (but i relize they ment well).

First.. i applaud Allison and Jesse for even TALKING About it BEFORE getting pregnant!!! Not many teenagers do that!

Second.. maturing comes at different stages, i'm 23.. i wouldnt consider myself mature at all but i did grow up younge so i understand where you are coming from. Don't be afraid to ask advice, from parents, friends, etc. Not everyones right.

I'm sure you know babies are a handful and expensive. Even most 1st time mothers and fathers dont relize HOW much until they are holding that baby in their hands and the bills are piling up.

Before me and my fiance decided to have a child (currently preg with #1), we did a lot of research on what a baby needs (material) and did things like going to the store and pricing everything and comparing it to our budget plan to see if we can afford what was needed and where we had to improve/make decisions etc. But a job is a must! I cannot stress that enough. I also went out of my way and took parenting classes, financial classes, etc. It really does help you grow and be mentally prepared (or at least i feel like it has ). Crunch the numbers first, it really does help.

I just want to add, that kids are a responsibility you cant back out of. It is possible to be younge and good parents, but its a really big struggle. I'm not chewing you down, but i'm also not telling you to go ahead. Just expand your knowledge a bit more. You'll know when your truely ready.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
(male)

father_to_be HB User

now that was some really good advice, thank you, and we do know a lot about what babies need, and how to care for them, both our parents had us at a young age, so they have told us everything they know, and they had to find out the hard way, but they made it, because they were determind, and loved us, and thats exactly what we will do for our child, and of course a job is a must, and we are already doing good in that area, i might even get a job that pays $10 an hour, now thats good.

Last edited by father_to_be; 06-05-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyMom View Post
Though I do not understand why we are being criticized. It's not your life, and like you said, Jesse, it will be effecting our lives more than anyone elses.
Actually, it DOES affect us, it affects ALL of us who pay taxes. Who do you think has to foot the bill when you guys decide you can't afford the baby and decide to go on welfare or public aid? It's going to be all of us who pay our taxes! THAT is why I'm concerned, because I'm a taxpayer. What about health care? Since neither one of you have a job right now to pay for the kid, nor any kind of health insurance beyond what your parents are getting for you, then how do you expect to pay for the kid's medical care? You can't, that's why you're probably going to end up on public aid, which is taking money away from me, from everyone who posted here that pays their taxes, and THAT is why it's a problem for us.

But if you were both independently wealthy with a lot of money and could afford it all without having to rely on public aid, then I think I'd probably not have a problem with it. I'd say go ahead and screw up your lives by having a kid when you're still kids yourselves. But since neither one of you has any of your own money to pay for the kid, and since the rest of us are going to end up paying for it, then I think it's a terrible idea and I don't support it at all.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #22
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User

First I will start off by saying my brother's fiance had her first baby at 17. Her and her boyfriend at the time got married and were divorced later when it didn't work out. They still remain amicable and not at each other's throats so I am not bashing either of them. She was a good mother then, and a good mother now from all that I can tell. So my belief is that a 17 y/o in certain situations can become good parents. I too grew up very fast as a teenager in a home with a single parent, and a sibling who was not really there from the time I was 13 on. But in no way at 17 was I ready for a child. I hope you both have looked inside yourself and found what you feel is right in your heart of hearts. I do feel discussing it with parents at some point is a good thing. Just because a parent says they will stick beside you doesn't mean they will or will do everything you think or hope they will. As for welfare/public aide... welfare is very different from social security. There is no comparison between the two. Same thing with benefits for the disabled. In most situations they could not help having their disability, a 17 year old couple wanting a baby can prevent their situation. As for older folks on SS, they paid their dues by working. That is how it works for them. So saying welfare is the same thing is completely incorrect. If you have any thoughts that you will go on welfare when you have the baby, I beg you to reconsider getting pregnant. My wife is pregnant for the first time and is 35 weeks, we both have decent paying jobs and we still struggle with money. Welfare is not a glorius thing. Food stamps do not go too far in today's day and time.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

please re-think this and re-visit this when you're more mature and have the resources and wisdom to raise children....

children should not have children.......

Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by father_to_be View Post
i might even get a job that pays $10 an hour, now thats good.
$10/hr is not enough to support yourself, much less a family......
please re-think your plans......

Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #25
(female)

hopefullone HB User

Just because you are so "mature" doesn't mean you should have a baby. In fact, at the age of 17, without jobs, not using birth control, planning to have a baby, actually makes you pretty immature.

I cannot even believe I'm sitting here reading this. This day in age, with all that is availble to young people and all the opportunities and hardships that will come your way, and you want to throw a baby in to the mix. What is wrong with waiting until you are older, more established?? why NOW?? just because you can??

Yeah babies look so fun and cute. And you probably have tons of friends who are young parents. But I bet its not all clean diapers and long naps for them. Babies are a reality check I guarantee you are not ready for.

If you need something to care for this badly, get a pet.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullone View Post
If you need something to care for this badly, get a pet.

preferably a fish......

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #27
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

I agree with everyone whole heartily!

10$ an hour will NOT get you any where, that would never cover an apt. food and cars insurance. You have to have enough money for food, rent, clothes, shoes, doctors bills, dentist bills, garbage....etc...

The government takes Social Security money out of your pay checks every week... it's money that you earned saved for you for a later date. Same thing goes with Workers Compensation. It's all money you earn and it IS NOT the same as Welfare.

Welfare comes out of the tax payers pockets to help people are failing NOT to help 17 year old kids who think its "Cool" to have a baby now just because they can.

If you are so mature... you need to be doing butt loads more of research before you open your mouths on a subject you clearly no nothing about.

YOU need to tell your parents about your irrational thinking.

Now is not the time to have a baby.. WAIT!!!

.... Atleast a fish can be flushed down a toilet if you kill it....

Last edited by TANKG!RL; 06-06-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #28
(female)

FreakyMom HB User

We have money. Or at least I do. There isn't much in life I want, I should know that, not you. My whole life, everyone has been telling me what I want, and what I do not want. I listen, because I fear to make horrible mistakes, but if him and I work..starting, now, while there is still PLENTY of time, we can make it, we will make it. Then, again, I'm sure if your children (if you have any) had children at a young age..you would scould them as you are doing to us. That isn't the way to do it. And....flush a fish down the toliet?!?!? ***! I love animals. I've been raising animals my WHOLE ENTIRE life! I know what I'm getting myself into. And if it's bothering you this much of our decision..stop posting..don't complain..just stop.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #29
(female)

FreakyMom HB User

^__^ I must say, I'm relieved to see that someone isn't at our throats. I'm out of school, because the schools here are terrible. Hell, I'm sure it is that way every where, but it was so bad that my Mom pulled me out for a bit. Then, when I graduated from Middle school, I wasn't allowed to attened high school, because of my age. So...I have no choice but to get my GED. I loved school, but I couldn't stay focused with all the students on my back because of the way I dress, and I don't act like a bad ***..and I certainly don't hang out with them. We plain to get better jobs as we become more experianced. Starting small is the way it's built. 10 bucks an hour may not be the best, but it's great for a start. And, I'm not pregnant, yet, so there are a lot of work that needs, and will be accomplished. And as soon as I get, we get our GED, payment will increase. ^__^ As we get better jobs.

Last edited by FreakyMom; 06-06-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #30
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyMom View Post
^__^ I must say, I'm relieved to see that someone isn't at our throats. I'm out of school, because the schools here are terrible. Hell, I'm sure it is that way every where, but it was so bad that my Mom pulled me out for a bit. Then, when I graduated from Middle school, I wasn't allowed to attened high school, because of my age. So...I have no choice but to get my GED. I loved school, but I couldn't stay focused with all the students on my back because of the way I dress, and I don't act like a bad ***..and I certainly don't hang out with them. We plain to get better jobs as we become more experianced. Starting small is the way it's built. 10 bucks an hour may not be the best, but it's great for a start. And, I'm not pregnant, yet, so there are a lot of work that needs, and will be accomplished. And as soon as I get, we get our GED, payment will increase. ^__^ As we get better jobs.
First off getting a GED doesn't make or allow you to get a better job or better pay you have no definite skills yet. If you want a good job go to a college and get a degree. Honestly, I think it's great you guys are getting your GEDs education is very good. But wait until you are both grown up and mature and have a comfortable steady job that you're not worrying about being fired from. Get health insurance through your job and get your own place first. Work for a couple years so save up a comfy nest egg. Don't just have a kid because you want to or can... that's an immature decision at this point. Wait until you two are married and positive that you are going to be together for along time. Nothing is certain at 17. There is alot of growing up to still do and you guys aren't even out of puberty yet.

Children should not be raising children.

Closed Thread