It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran

Comptons HB User
Gas and Bloating in First Trimester

Anyone out there experiencing painful gas and bloating? I'm 6 wks pg and have been doubled over with gas pain today. I have constipation and my clothes are too tight around the waist from all of the bloating. Doc says to take some TUMS and that this is normal... Any thoughts?

Old 11-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! gas and bloating are very normal in pregnancy and tums does help a little as there is not much we can do or take when we are pregnant. try eating foods high in fiber and drinking alot of water and avoid foods that cause gas build up. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Trio HB User
Hi Comptons,
I had the same problem. I was uncomfortable ALL the time from bloating and the gas was horrible. My clothes didn't fit and I had to start wearing baggy clothes to relieve the pressure on my abdomen.

All I can say is that I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and it's finally starting to let up a little. Like Conniefolger said, try not to eat things that are going to cause gas, more fiber and lots of water. I found that the more water I could drink, the better. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Trio

Old 11-19-2003, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran

Comptons HB User
Thanks - the TUMS are helping to some degree. I guess I just have to figure out what's right for me to eat. Sprite seems to be a definite no-no. I also think that because I was a smoker and caffeine drinker up until my pregnancy, my body is having an even more difficult time with this. Thanks for your comments.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:25 AM   #5

Ashton'sMommy HB User
When I was in my 1st trimester I had horrible Bloating. I didnt have a whole lot of gas "down there" but burped alot.

I also had diarrhea at the very beginning for about 2 weeks.

Check with your doctor but what really helps if your dr is okay with it is to mix one tsp. of baking soda to 8oz of water and drink it down.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:40 AM   #6
Veteran

0603david HB User
My doctor let me take Mylanta for heartburn and I took Citracel to get more fiber. I mixed it with orange juice. My baby turned out healthy even though I used these products. Someone else posted that baking soda was not good for pregnancy. I forget why but you may want to ask your doc.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran

Comptons HB User
My doc pretty much just said TUMS and nothing else. Since I posted this morning, the gas has hit again. All I've had this morning is a strawberry/banana yogurt and some saltine crackers. I've already taken two TUMS to no avail. I'm working on finishing my first bottle of water for the day. I've never been a big water drinker so I'm having to try really hard. Maybe that will help!

Old 11-19-2003, 09:25 AM   #8

Ashton'sMommy HB User
I would verify with your doctor and if he says tums only follow that rule.

My doctor is a more modern doctor. I am allowed to take a whole slew of medicines.

I take Aciphex and Prevacid for my indigestion which work very well. Because I had GERD before I got pregnant the indigestion/heartburn was horrible.

I also can take tylenol, sudafed, tums, mylanta, kaopectate, tavist D, robitussin baby asprin and a few other drugs for different things.

Each doctor is different and some just feel these medicines arent safe while others think they do no harm.

I tend to notice because of my mothers medical background the younger doctors feel more comfortable with you taking otc than older ones.

I hope your belly starts to feel better.

Call your doctor and ask him if you can take GasX .

Old 11-19-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
For me the first trimester was the worst. It helps to eat small lighter meals. Sometimes the pain would be awful. I felt fatter as well. It can really make you appear bloated which is annoying when you have barely gained any weight at all! Try tums that sounds like it might help. Goodluck!

Old 11-19-2003, 02:34 PM   #10
Veteran

Comptons HB User
Thanks! It makes me feel silly because I am only 6 weeks pg and I am so uncomfortable in my clothes. I think everyone must think I'm being overly dramatic, but nothing fits right. geez - maybe it'll get better. I have been trying the smaller meals today and more water - seems a little better.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:50 PM   #11

ValeriaSATX HB User
I'm 11 weeks and 3 days and also have a lot of gas and get VERY bloated.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:41 AM   #12

alynnr HB User
Re: Gas and Bloating in First Trimester

I took Gas X while preg the first time and it helped me alot. I didn't ask the doctor about it. I had to be comfortable to sit at my desk at work for 8 hours! BTW my son didn't seem affected by the medicine.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:42 AM   #13

livenlearn HB User

hi gals!!!

well, i'm not sure if i'm pg or not (this is our first month trying).... but, i've been having horrible gas and been bloated.... mostly it's after lunch(i've eaten peppers almost every day this week for lunch!!!!)..... and then continues all day at work until i can get home and get comfy pants on.... then at least the crampyness subsides.... i've been posting here and elsewhere about if i am pg why have i been so crampy when i have many other signs of being pg.... and i'm wondering if i'm mistaking uterine cramping with gas cramps/pains... ???????

today i'm 10 po.... 4 days till af is due.... i don't want to jump the gun and test now.... i'm waiting until saturday the earliest .....

i've been pg 3 times before... you'd think i'd know !!!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
(female)

halfxpint HB User

I am so glad I tripped over this message board! I am having some serious gas pains, and I thought at first that maybe something was wrong, or that it was just me. Thank God it's not! lol I didn't have gas with my first pregnancy - thankfully. I'm off to buy some Tums! Just wanted to send out a thanks for answering my question - even though I wasn't the one to ask it.

Closed Thread