It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 11:40 AM   #1

defaultuser HB User
can I go into bootcamp while I'm pregnant?

Iwas thinking I wanted to do military... Can I do it while I'm pregnant (meaning now) or do I have to wait? What I want to know is it safe I guess to go through it with a child coming or do I need to look at other options?

Old 11-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: can I go into bootcamp while I'm pregnant?

Boot camp is too stressful to go through while pregnant so they dont allow women to attend while pregnant. They cant run the risk of miscarriage. You can still go talk to whatever branch reps you want to and they will be able to give the specifics on that.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #3

CUtigress HB User

I'm in the military and can tell you with 100% guarantee that you can't attend bootcamp while pregnant. Part of the in-processing you'll go through before you go is actually a pregnancy test (they even give you one the morning that you "ship off" to be sure).

After you have the child, you can begin the process, but there will be a certain break of time before you actually go. In order to sign the paperwork to join, you'll have to show who can take care of the child while you're gone (this is actually something you have to do anyway. After you show up at your first assignment, you'll have to fill out who your alternate caregiver is if you are to get deployed.) In addition, you'll have to get yourself back in shape. At basic training, you will be doing tons of pushups, situps, running, etc and you have to meet a weight requirement.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post em and I'll try to answer them. The military is a great life.

Old 11-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

CUtigress,not so sure if the military is that great of a life...there is alot one has to consider and the pay isnt that great. Granted you do get your pay every 1st and 15th of the month and as long as you follow the rules you have no worries over losing your job. But there are alot of down sides,the major one is if you get in a career field that is mobile alot then one can expect to spend alot of time away from family. I ought to know the squadron dh is in now is always busy. I know that from Oct to July that my Dh will be gone most of that just because of the tdys.
If one is a single parent then that can ever be harder. My brother is finding that one out. He has custody of his son and had to fill out quite a few forms and make all kinds of arrangements that way his son will be taken care of if he gets deployed or such.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 11-27-2003, 10:18 AM   #5

CUtigress HB User

Blastoff, the military certainly isn't for everyone, but I know it's been great for me. A lot of it does depend on your career field but you do have some say in that. That's why I chose the field I'm in.

Joining the military isn't a decision to be made on a whim. DH and I discussed it for probably a year before I started my application process. But it's definitely been the best decision we've made. It's allowed DH to do what he wants to do with his career (teach).

The "base" pay isn't all that great, but once you factor in things like retirement and MEDICAL INSURANCE, not to mention food and housing allowances, and bonus pay while you're deployed, you actually are making a lot more money than a lot of civilian jobs.

For single parents, it's definitely a lot tougher. That's why I mentioned the alternate caregiver info in my earlier post.

I notice you're in UT too - you guys also stationed at Hill, I take it? Small world...

Closed Thread