It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
Smile New to Boards, have a question about U/S accuracy in predicting gender

Hello all! I am new to the boards so I'll introduce myself. I'm 27 yrs old, been married for 2 yrs to a wonderful man, am the mommy to 8 yr old Falyn and am pregnant with baby #2. I'm so glad to find boards with other mommy's that I can discuss things with and hope to get to know you all.

I am 22 weeks pregnant and when I went for my 20 week U/S, the tech showed us three tiny but very distinct white lines that she was pretty confident indicated a girl. (Secretly I would love to have another girl.) We have a very good picture of this from beneath and the three lines are all I see. Before the U/S though, I had such strong feelings that this one was a boy just because this pregnancy has been so different than my first with my daughter. Although it has been 8 yrs. so I guess my body would have changed quite a bit. Then when I started getting used to the fact that I really believed this one is a girl, I start reading different message boards about U/S accuracy and find that many people have been told one sex only to have another, or have been shown the little white lines only to be greeted by a son at birth. Don't get me wrong, I will be happy with either (my dh and I tried for 2 yrs to get pregnant), I just don't want to bond with a daughter then have it turn out to be a son. The hospital here offers free "sex checks" 3 weeks after the first ultrasound just to be sure so my appointment for that is this coming Monday. My question is this. Have any of you experienced anything like this, or know anyone who has? Any advice would be appreciated, you know how irrational and hormonal a pregnant woman can be. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 12:19 PM   #2

HeatherW HB User
Re: New to Boards, have a question about U/S accuracy in predicting gender

Hi,
I too have the three lines and a very confident doc and tech looking at different times telling me a girl also. I wanted a boy so bad it hurt. I also have another daughter and if I remember correctly it was also apparent on her ultrasound. I will have another ultrasound in three weeks and if I get the same answer then I will feel confident enough to buy baby girl things. Heather W.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

slaughter17 HB User

Welcome Falynsmommy! I worry too that the lines on my u/s will be wrong. I only see 2 lines on the picture the tech gave us. But she insists it is a girl with 3 lines. So I don't know. I hope we are not suprised when she comes. I have not known anyone who was told wrong. It would be so hard to buy all the baby stuff for a girl and then have a boy. I guess he would have to learn to like pink for a while.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Thanks for the welcome Heather and Slaughter...hahaha Slaughter, that's true, I guess a baby boy would look like a baby girl for a little while. We go again on Monday so I hope we get a confirmation that is pretty confident, I'll let you all know.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #5

snoozin47 HB User

Can I ask a questions where are these three lines showing up on the ultra sound. I am confused and probably sound really stupid in asking this question but I am assuming this is around the genital area? I haven't gotten to 20 weeks yet and would like to know what to look for on my u/s.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:51 AM   #6

HeatherW HB User

It is the folds of skin around the vagina. definatly not a boy on mine it looked like she sat on the camera. Heather W.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:53 AM   #7

angel0317 HB User

I am having a girl. I had an ultrasound at 20 wks & 5 days. It was very obvious the female labia was showing. This is the three lines. Although it is described like this I saw the actual parts quite well in four different pictures. I think earlier on it looks more like lines as at 16 wks the tech saw these & guessed a girl. The tech I had at 20 wks said never to assume a girl just because no boy parts obvious. You can only feel confident it is a girl if you actually see the labia. Then there is no chance of this being a boy. Hope this helps out. I have learned so much being pg.

Andrea

Old 01-11-2004, 06:43 AM   #8

MrsBosley HB User

relax. youre tech knows what she or he was doing. those white lines do signal birth of a girl. by 22 weeks a boys genitals would have been visible. if they arent there its a girl obviously and boys do not get those white lines. the lines are where the female genitals will appear.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Well I went again yesterday for my sex check U/S and this feisty baby in my belly wouldn't show us anything. Of course the tech acted like she really didn't want to be there so she didn't try much, but oh well. We'll have to go with what she said the first time which is a girl and hope it doesn't turn out to be a boy that wears alot of pink.

Closed Thread