It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #1

saj201514 HB User
Unhappy slow rise in hcg level

i am having slow rising hcg levels. anyone else...with this carry to term? i am approx 5 or 6 weeks. i stopped keeping track of my period, (we were trying to get pregnant) so when i had a positive pregnancy test, and i had an appointment with my ob/gyn,Last friday, he did an ultrasound to try to figure out a due date. he found an intrauterine sac, (which appeared empty) he said i must be earlier than we expected, as the embryo is too small to see. he sent me away with scripts to get blood drawn, and an appointment for another ultrasound on friday. he called yesterday and left a message on my machine that my hcg levels were rising, but he wanted to order more blood work, so he could see that they were still rising. in my research, i found that hcg levels should double. so i got home, called his office back to find out what my levels were. on 1 / 10 they were 33,660 and on 1 /12 they were 36,695. about a 3000 increase...but nowhere near doubling. 33,000 seems high, but is a normal level for 6 weeks. so thismorning i went for my 3rd hcg test, and haven't gotten the results yet. i will find out friday when i go for my ultrasound. i've been driving myself insane researching hcg levles, ectopic pregnancies, and molar pregnacies... if my pregnancy doesn't last, throughout all this research...and seeing statistics for problem pregancies, i'm really feeling more and more blessed and fortunate to have a 7 year old son, with no birthdefects...making it through delivery. stephie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User
Re: slow rise in hcg level

Stephie Please let me know what the Dr. Says. I will be thinking about you and I hope hat your numbers are rising and you see your little bean today.
Good luck
~jo
DD Born 8-13-04

Old 01-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #3

MrsBosley HB User
Re: slow rise in hcg level

So sorry to hear you are goin through this and I am sure everyones telling you to relax and try to stay off your feet, etc. Well, I don't sugarcoat anything for anyone, so I will give you my honest and up front opinion here as to what I think is happening. You may be rather unfortunately dommed to miscarry. Yes your hcg levels should double every two to three days and no they are not. Also, the ultrasound had nothing in the sac. You should be able to see at least the yolk sac(almost always seen between 4 and 5 weeks) and after that the fetal pole should be presetn too, and there is nothing in your sac. This just may mean no fetus ever formed. The pregnancy began and the sac formed ready for a baby, but baby never grew. This is a miscarriage but also commonly referred to as a blighted ovum. You can read about this at http://www.ivillagehealth.com/experts/fertility/qas/0,11816,166302_175974,00.html?arrivalSA= 1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adi d=7027201
I think reading up on it and helping yourself to understnad may help you through this a great deal if it turns out I am correct in my findings. the only real lead I have here is that if your levels were as high at the 30,000's, then you should be at least six weeks along and something would be visible inside the sac by then. You can read about hcg levels and why I have detereined these facts at
http://www.allaboutmoms.com/hcg.htm
Hang in there. I am hoping for you. Never give up hope, but do try to prepare yourself since things are not looking so great here. And remember a miscarriage does not signal you cannot have children nor that you have any fertility problems. Miscarriages occur in 1 out of every 5 pregnancies. They are normal and common occurances. i know it is hard, because I have been through it more than once, and one of those times, I dealt with a blighted ovum. It isn't silly at all to grieve, even though you may feel at times that you are silly to feel sad about something you never really had, because you were led to believe you had a baby on the way. I am sorry. Try to keep high hopes and lean on those that care foryou right now. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #4

saj201514 HB User
Thumbs up update

just got home from my ultrasound, and he saw a fetal pole! very exciting. my hcg levels are up to 41,500 (still not doubling, however he said when they get this high they won't double, and they start to plateau, mine are still rising.) so he was optimistic. from the measurement it looks like i'm only 5 weeks. so the sac looking empty last week (at 4 weeks) was a normal thing to see. he did say my progesterone level is 11.5. 20-25 is what is wanted, under 5 is bad. so he put my on a progesterone suppository that i start tonight. i feel much better about this visit. he scheduled me for another ultrasound on friday the 23th . thank you so much for your replies and support. i'm feeling much better after todays visit, and all of your support. i'm keeping my chin up. thanks! stephie

Closed Thread