It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User
How much iron are you taking?

My mom told me when she was pg with me she had low iron. I am taking an iron supplement each day of about 32mg. How much is everyone else taking? I've been tired lately and I wonder if the 32 mg is enough. The tiredness could just be my hormone levels rising also. I'm only 5 weeks pg, so this is all so new. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Inactive

sentedshowergel HB User
Re: How much iron are you taking?

If I were you I wouldent waist money or time takeing iron supplements unless your DR tells you to, expecially since you are are only 5 weeks along. Ive never read anything about to much iron hurting your baby but its something you should check into your self. They can make you constipated and that leads to hemroids which believe me is something you dont want to get. Not only that but your prenatle vitimans have extra iron in them which should be enough for you untill your baby grows and becomes more demanding. Then you could become anemic and need to take extra iron.
Im 9 months and anemic so I am taking one Slow FE a day with juce and a prune. Recomended by my O.B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User

Thank you. Actually I'm not taking a prenatal. I'm taking (don't laugh) Flintstone vitamins, a calcium supplement and Iron. I have a hard time swallowing pills and the Flintstones have the Folic Acid I need plus several other things (I take more than the recommended dose as it is for 2-3 year olds). So the iron I'm taking is 1/2 a pill which is about 32 mg. The Flintstone vitamins don't have iron. I was just wondering if being tired is normal in the first trimester or if my iron could be low, even though I'm taking an Iron pill.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela4
Thank you. Actually I'm not taking a prenatal. I'm taking (don't laugh) Flintstone vitamins, a calcium supplement and Iron. I have a hard time swallowing pills and the Flintstones have the Folic Acid I need plus several other things (I take more than the recommended dose as it is for 2-3 year olds). So the iron I'm taking is 1/2 a pill which is about 32 mg. The Flintstone vitamins don't have iron. I was just wondering if being tired is normal in the first trimester or if my iron could be low, even though I'm taking an Iron pill.
Does your doctor know you are taking flinstone vitamins instead of prenatal vitamins? I would think that there is not enough folic acid in those vitamins since they are designed for children. I would check with your doctor about that if you already haven't.

Also, I recommend talking with your doctor about taking the iron. I had a blood test when I was 27 weeks pregnant and it turns out I was anemic, but depending on how low your levels are your doctor will recommend how much iron you should be taking. When I was anemic, I was always dizzy and really really tired.

PS. Found this article for you:

Anemia is a condition in which there is not a high enough concentration of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin in the blood. It is most commonly caused by a deficiency of dietary iron, and commonly affects pregnanct women as their blood volume increases beginning in the 2nd month of pregnancy. This increase in blood volume normally dilutes the concentration of hemoglobin and can cause symptoms of anemia including fatigue and weakness, and even shortness of breath and decreased blood pressure. Less commonly, folic acid deficiency or conditions such as thalassemia or sickle cell disease can cause anemia.

You will most likely be tested for anemia at your first prenatal visit and again at approximately 26-28 weeks or if you exhibit symptoms of anemia at any time during the pregnancy. Many care providers routinely prescribe prenatal iron supplements, however these are poorly absorbed when compared to most food sources. Iron absorption is enhanced by Vitamin C if taken simultaneously. Iron absorbtion is decreased by large consumption of dairy products, so these supplements should be taken several hours before or after ingesting milk products. To get the most out of an iron supplement, try taking it on an empty stomach with a glass of orange juice. As with any nutrient, the best source for iron is a healthy diet rich in lean red meat, tuna, salmon, whole grains, and dark green leafy vegetables. Supplements should not serve as the primary source for any nutrient. If supplementation is necessary there are options other than iron tablets such as chlorophyll, yellow dock, alfalfa, and an herbal supplement called Floradix.

Some evidence suggests that a hemoglobin level of 9.5gm/dl is optimum during pregnancy. This is in contrast to the level of 10.5-11.5gm/dl which is commonly used to diagnose anemia in pregnancy. Great efforts are often made to maintain the higher level of hemoglobin during pregnancy despite the fact that the decreased concentration is actually the result of the optimum blood volume increase that normally occurs during pregnancy. There is no doubt that if a woman is experiencing negative effects of lowered concentration of hemoglobin, especially in the first trimester, she and her growing baby may benefit from treatment, however, routine iron supplementation in women with hemoglobin values above 9.5gm/dl beyond the first trimester of pregnancy has failed to show any positive effect on mother or baby. There is no decrease in maternal hemorrhage, infection, preterm birth, low birthweight, stillbirth, or newborn illness with routine iron supplementation to maintain hemoglobin levels above 9.5gm/dl.4

Old 02-04-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User

I'll talk to my doctor about needing more iron. I read online that the normal female needs 15mg per day and if you are pg, that doubles. That's why I'm taking the 32mg.

I'm taking 900mg of Folic Acid. Basically what I did is compare how much my prenatal pills had then tripled the amount of the flintstone vitamins so I'm getting the same amount of everything. I have read you should be getting anywhere from 800-1000mg of Folic Acid per day if you are pregnant, so I should be fine on that. Thanks everyone!

Closed Thread