It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 06:10 AM   #1

amashstat HB User
Freezing breast milk

Has anyone been successful in freezing their breast milk for later use? I just had my little one and will be returning to work in 9 weeks. So far, I've been pumping a couple of extra times during the day and freezing the milk in our deep freezer. I won't be able to pump at work, so I'm hoping this will give me a way to be able to offer my son breast milk longer.

My other option is to try to "train" my breasts to hold out while I'm at work, but I'm afraid this would be too hard.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-15-2004, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User
Re: Freezing breast milk

When I breast feed my last son, I would pump before feeding him and freeze the breast milk for later I would put a piece of tape on the bottle with the date on it. Breast milk will last in the freezer for 3 months, so I was told years ago. I didn't work I was and am a stay at home mom, but freezing the milk was good for my daughter to feed the my son sometimes and hubby would get up in the middle of the night sometimes and feed him.

As for train your beast to wait to be pumped, I don't know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 06:41 AM   #3

ordinarymom HB User

Freezing your milk is a great way to have extra on hand. I had no problem freezing mine. I used the little zip lock type bags made for freezing breast milk. Sometimes I didn't pump very much at a time so I would first chill the milk and then add it to what was already frozen. As long as I did this within a day or two of each freezing I felt comfortable with this. Check out some of the la-leche websites. Or just try typing in storing breast milk into your search engine. Good luck. I hope that it goes the way you want it.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #4

amashstat HB User

I guess what I was asking is if anyone has tried mixing frozen breasts milk with formula? I'm thinking I would start offering the frozen breast milk around the 3rd month. Maybe offering breast milk twice a day...morning and night...and then using formula during the day. Has anyone done something like this? I'm hoping that I can freeze enough to be able to continue offering breast milk a couple of months after I wean.

Closed Thread