It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

LouiseM HB User
Red face Placenta Previa, anyone go thru this or have it?

I just got my ultrasound done, it's a boy!
I am at 18 weeks now and stated I had a full Placenta Previa. They told me to do nothing and it will correct itself. I heard at 20 weeks they put you on bedrest, does that 2 weeks make that much difference? Anyone else go thru this or have any thoughts on it?

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 03-31-2004, 04:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Re: Placenta Previa, anyone go thru this or have it?

Hi,
I hope it does, but I dont understand how they said you were complete and that it will move up. I was never put on any kind of bed rest for this and they couldnt predict whether it would or wouldnt move up by a certain time. Anyway here is my story.
I was complete placenta previa with my previous pregnancy in 2002. The good thing was I didnt let it bother me too much as I had hope it would move up. What I didnt know at the time didnt hurt me. I had an u/s during week 22 and not to have another us until week 32 to check the position of the placenta. Well at 31 1/2 weeks I had a heavy bleed (just one day before my placenta check) while cooking dinner. It felt like my water broke but when I looked down it was blood. I put on a pad and off we went to the hospital. I could tell the bleeding had stopped and wasnt continuous. Of course in my situation my placenta didnt move up. I was hospitalized until delivery at 35 1/2 weeks. I lived too far from the hospital and had no one at home with me during the day so they decided to admit me. I was happy about that because I was in the best place I could possibly be. I had another heavy bleed at 32 1/2 weeks and put on hospital bedrest (only bathroom privileges). I went for another 3 weeks without another bleed and when I did they decided to delivery my baby. They say you can expect a few bleeds and most of the time they will stop, before they will deliver the baby, so most likely they wont deliver until after a few times. At 31 1/2 weeks I was contracting a bit which may have caused the first big bleed. I was then put on heart meds to stop or lessen them. My baby was born at 35 1/2 weeks but her lungs werent fully developed. She was a great weight 6.5 and in NICU for one week. You have to go on with life and not worry about it because you may be fine and not have problems until the end like I did. The worry will just eat you up so just take one day at a time. It was hard being hospitalized but I did everything I could and cooperated to keep this baby in as long as I could. Luckily with this pregnancy I am fine and no problems with the placenta so its not something that happens with every pregnancy.
Lin mom to Tami 12 years, Amanda 21 months, 35wk 4d pg

Last edited by Ginger9708; 03-31-2004 at 04:25 AM. Reason: add information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 06:53 AM   #3

nact HB User

Hello....
At my 18.5 wks u/s, it was discovered I have placenta previa. I was told by my doctor not to worry, as I've had no symptoms what-so-ever(absolutely no spotting at all) and we'd recheck the placenta position at another u/s closer to 30 wks. He said more often then not, the placenta moves into the correct position before delivery. If not, even if the placenta is just too close to the cervix, we will schedule a C-section. But he seemed very hopeful that this would not be necessary.

As far as bedrest, I never recieved any special restrictions at all so far(I am now 22 wks)...but I'm not having any bleeding either. From what I was told by my doctor, if there was any bleeding, bedrest would then be necessary. He told me to carry on as usual and not to worry.

Try and get as much info on your situation from your doctor and go from there.

Good luck!
Kari
#3 edd July 30- August 6

Old 03-31-2004, 08:27 AM   #4

cpa2b HB User
Post Re: Placenta Previa, anyone go thru this or have it?

I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa at my 20-week ultrasound. My OB told me at that time that there was a 50/50 chance of it correcting itself. She put me on pelvic rest and told me not to do any heavy lifting or exercise (other than walking). Also, if I had any spotting or bleeding, to call the office right away. At 28 weeks I had another ultrasound and the placenta had not moved at all. Again, my OB told me to continue to take it easy, but didn’t put me on any bed rest. I just had my last ultrasound at 36 weeks and once again it had not moved at all. So now I will be scheduled for a c-section at 38 weeks. I consider myself very lucky to not have had any bleeding. It’s a little scary though, because you don’t really feel any different and there is no pain involved. Overall, I had a great pregnancy so far and hope it continues to be for the next 2 weeks. Hope this info is helpful to you. Take good care of yourself!

Old 03-31-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

LouiseM HB User

Thanks so much girls for the stories, and to share. Ginger, I am so glad everything worked out so well for you and your baby!

Yeah, they seemed pretty whatever with it at the Dr's office, so I am not freaking out too bad, and they did say I had to come in in a month for another ultrasound, so I hope it moves like they say.

I just never knew anyone that had one, and didn't know what to expect.

Thanks so much again!

Old 03-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Inactive

Karla HB User

18 years ago when I gave birth to twins I had a placenta previa. I found out at 4 months about both because I was spotting alot and cramping. I found out that was due to having twins and them putting pressure on my placenta. I was put on bed rest at 4 months also because I kept going into premature labor not because of the placenta previa. The drs never voiced any concern to me about it at all and I delivered both twins naturally. I was told the placenta previa usually happens in woman who have had several pregnancies because the placenta never attaches to the uterine wall in the same place twice. Thus after several pregnancies the only place left to attach is the lower part of the uterus. However for me it happened on my first pregancy.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Sasylilbrat

Sorry for your complication, If your doctor says bed rest do just that. I started spotting early in pregnancy and was put on bed rest. They didnt know why and eventually it stopped. Then about 7 weeks later it started again, my plencta detatched lil by lil 3 trips to the hospital before I actually lost the baby. Even if it gets better dont go back to your normal routine, stay in bed.
God bless and good luck.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:13 AM   #8

1st timer HB User

I had my first u/s at 20 weeks and was told I had marginal PP. My Dr. told me I should refrain from sex until my next ultrasound (30 weeks) because is could cause you to bleed. Has anyone else's Dr. told them that? Nobody has mentioned it.........

Old 04-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User

Yes I was put on pelvic rest at 15 weeks after I had a small bleeding episode a few hours after sex.
Lin

Old 04-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

First off CONGRATS on the Baby Boy!! I am currently 27 weeks. I had a ultrasound at 19 weeks where I found out I too am having a boy, and that I had a low lying placenta. The scheduled me for a followup ultrasound at 26 weeks to check and see if it has moved up, in most cases it corrects itself as your uterus grows. Well I went to the Dr. yesterday and it was still low lying so they are going to schedule another ultrasound for 34 weeks. All I have been told is not to over do it, and with any signs of blood to call them immediately. With this there will be no pain just blood so you have to get help ASAP. So take it easy and I will pray yours will correct itself. But like another poster said they just schedule a C section if it doesn't. Goodluck!!
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
(female)

LouiseM HB User

See I was wondering if you do refrain from sex, because I have read that it can start a bleed. I would hate it it something happened and I could have prevented it? I was not really told anything on it?

Teresa, congrats on the boy too! We tryed for 8 yrs on this one. It only took three months to conceive our first boy, then I had a lap done and they found endometriosis. It took a yr after the surgery.

Sasy, I am SO sorry about your loss. How far along were you? I cannot imagine what you went thru. I just can't! How are you now?

Thanks again for all the feedback again! I feel a lot better knowing a little more. Sometimes I think Drs just poo poo things so you will not worry. I worry more when I don't know anything.

THanks again

Old 04-01-2004, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseM
See I was wondering if you do refrain from sex, because I have read that it can start a bleed. I would hate it it something happened and I could have prevented it? I was not really told anything on it?

Teresa, congrats on the boy too! We tryed for 8 yrs on this one. It only took three months to conceive our first boy, then I had a lap done and they found endometriosis. It took a yr after the surgery.

Sasy, I am SO sorry about your loss. How far along were you? I cannot imagine what you went thru. I just can't! How are you now?

Thanks again for all the feedback again! I feel a lot better knowing a little more. Sometimes I think Drs just poo poo things so you will not worry. I worry more when I don't know anything.

THanks again
Well I haven't been told not to have sex, but it has been a long while because the last time we did I did have some spotting, so I had tried for so long I wasn't taking the chance. This was before I had heard I had Placenta Previa, so my poor hubby is cut off until I find out it has corrected itself or I have the baby!!! I am sorry you had so long in trying!! I thought 4 years was ruff!! Whew! I will be praying for you.
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
(female)

Qt4u139 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseM View Post
I just got my ultrasound done, it's a boy!
I am at 18 weeks now and stated I had a full Placenta Previa. They told me to do nothing and it will correct itself. I heard at 20 weeks they put you on bedrest, does that 2 weeks make that much difference? Anyone else go thru this or have any thoughts on it?

Thanks for any feedback!
hey louise, i hope all is well with you and ur baby! i was just wondering how you guys were because my mother has the same thing as you and im pretty worried about her. shes 36 and shes having her first child in 8 years. the last time she was pregnant with twins and they did a c section. now shes on bed rest in the hospital because she was bleeding. i was just hoping that you and ur baby were ok so that i can have a little bit of hope for her.

thanks in advance!

Closed Thread