It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User
Unhappy Belly Button Piercing at 7 Months??

Hello again

Well, so far everything is going okay...no complications or anything like that. I'm now worried about my belly button piercing. I had it done in February of 03, and it still hasn't healed completely. It wasn't bothering me before, but all of a sudden, around last week, it started to hurt a lot whenever I try to rotate the ring. It's like a burning sensation...like the ring is scraping something inside of the hole. I know that the ring is clean, I've tried cleaning it with peroxide, the cleansing solution that they gave me when I first got it done, and alcohol...not all at the same time though, and it still hurts when I turn it. Besides the bad scarring that it left, this pain is my only problem with it. The areas around the openings look a little swollen too. I've read that I can buy one of the newer flexible bars that they have now, a PTFE, which would allow me to expand during pregnancy without the pain of the piercing getting pushed out, and it also doesn't stick to any discharge, which allows for the piercing to heal faster.

Do any of you know how much this bar costs? I really don't want to take the ring out, so do any of you have, or have you had your belly piercings in throughout your pregnancies???
Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Last edited by Platinum33; 04-05-2004 at 08:32 PM.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: Belly Button Piercing at 7 Months??

If you've had it pierced over 2 years ago and it's still irritating to you, then it's probably infected. Have you had a piercer look at it? Not only that, but if your 7 months pg, then your belly button should be pushing out and that's probably why it's irritated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #3

Nemrac HB User

I don't have one, but my sister does. When she was around 6/7 months she had to take hers out because it was beginning to bother her. She had a c-section so she would of had to take it out anyway. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she says. My sister was able to put hers back in though and it is fine now

Old 04-05-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User

Hi,
You may have to take it out. I got mine last summer and for a while I got away with using vaseline to lubricate it so it wouldnt cause me pain due to dryness, well it only worked for the first few months but I had to take it out eventually.
Lin
mom to amanda 21 months, 36wk2d

Old 04-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

kcferret HB User

I took mine out at around 3 months. I didn't want the hole to get stretched wrong and it was getting irritating with my every growing belly. Not sure why yours hasn't healed up yet though, that is a bit odd.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

I'm sorry. I got my years confused. It wasn't 2002, it was 2003. Last year. I'm going to ask my OB and the school nurse about it on Wednesday.

I don't want to try any more lubricants. I used this anti bacterial ointment...tried two of them actually...and neither seemed to work after a while.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #7

violetdragonfly HB User

I had to take mine out when I was 7 months pregnant because it was really starting to irritate me but I try to put it in every once in a while to keep the hole open. I would definately ask your doctor or the piercer if it was a professional. They will be able to tell you something to put on it to keep it from being infected and they would be able to show you what kind of jewelery would be good for a stretching belly. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

I had mine pierced about 6 months before I found out I was pregnant and it still hadn't healed so I ended up taking it out when I was about 2 months along. I still have a nasty looking scar where it was and when I was about 5 months pregnant the hole swelled up on me and looked like it was getting infected. I treated it with Bactine and it cleared up. I don't know what caused that but I'm glad I took mine out, though I do know a few girls who kept theirs in throughout their pregnancies and they did fine. I would talk to your doctor or the person who pierced it and see if there's anything you can do. Good luck.

Mandy

Old 04-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Well, I went to the doctor at my school, and the good news is that it's not infected! He said that the irritation is most likely coming from my belly pushing out on my piercing, causing it to mis-shape. He actually advised me NOT to try to take it out because if I do, an infection may be able to settle in while it is healing, and thus the infection would be inside of the hole which would be closed up and no longer as easily accessible as it is now. It has been draining, so he said to continue to let it drain and soak it in a saline solution very often to help dry it out and heal. As for those new flexible bars, he didn't know too much about it, but said that is sounds like it may be better, but he advised me not to attempt to switch to one on my own...get help because with my stomach pushing out on the hole right now, it could be a lot harder and more complicated trying to get the flexible one in...I would need to thread it to the one I have in now, and follow it in as the other comes out. My OB didn't express any concerns about the piercing either, so I'm going to stick it out for as long as I can and try to keep this ring in...only nine more weeks to go!!!

Thanks for your input ladies.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
(female)

LouiseM HB User

I have had mine for about 7 yrs now. I took mine out last month, it was driving me crazy. I had to take it out once about 4 yrs ago for an MRI, I couldn't find the ring. That hole closed up in 3 days! I just had it repierced. That is what I plan on doing this time too.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Louise, didn't it hurt more when you got it repierced??? I've heard that it does. But I still don't want to risk sealing an infection into the hole. Not to mention that I've developed some bad scarring...and a small keloid...since being pregnant. I think I'm just going to get some epsom salts and soak the piercing every night since I shower in the morning.

One other thing: I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to put antibacterial ointments on it The pamphlet that the doctor gave me had that written in it. Eeeeeee. I just hope that I can save it and eventually get the darkness of the scarring to go away.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
(female)

LouiseM HB User

See, I didn't have any problems with mine at all. Most of my girlfriends that had it done, got rid of them, due to some kind of infection. I always used the liquid stuff, it starts with a B and comes in a white and green bottle. It is an antibiotic stuff. It worked great and didn't "dry" it out. I never knew you couldn't use any of that?
No, the re-piercing didn't hurt at all. I was surprised! Then again, I had it in then for about 3 yrs already, maybe that is why? I don't know. I tryed to put it in the other day for giggles, and it is closed again, which stinks, I have had it for 7 yrs total now. So, I guess I will be trying it out again!

Good luck!

Last edited by LouiseM; 04-09-2004 at 06:44 PM.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #13
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

The stuff Louise is talking about is Bactine. I used that stuff just like I was supposed to but still ended up with a scar, plus it was very sore for a very long time. It could be due to the fact that when I had mine pierced, the girl didn't get the hole right so she repierced it a little deeper. Two needle sticks for the price of one. LOL! I think that's what caused the soreness and scarring in mine though.

Closed Thread