It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 07:55 AM   #1

jenyfer24 HB User
Question Getting Pregnant and Being Overweight

I was wondering if anyone was overweight before they got pregnant and if so did it effect your ability to get pregnant, or effect your pregnancy at all? And did you gain alot of weight during your pregnancy? My husband and I are ttc and I am about 5'6" and weigh 205lbs. I am just wondering if part of the reason why it is taking me so long to become regular after the pill is because of my weight (I weighed about 135lbs. when I started the pill).
I am also wondering if I don't lose weight before I get pregnant, will it have any bad effects on me and will I gain alot of weight!? I would really appreciate your responses! Thanks!

Old 04-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User
Re: Getting Pregnant and Being Overweight

I'm not overweight, but here is a little info from a web-site dealing with preg. issues:

Obesity increases the risk of some pregnancy complications and perhaps, some birth defects. Radical weight loss during the time of conception and early pregnancy may also increase the chance of some birth defects. If a woman desires to lose weight, it is better to delay conception until dieting is completed. For most women it is not critical that they gain weight during pregnancy. The exception is a woman who weighs less than 120 pounds. Evidence suggests that a 20 pound gain helps underweight women have better nourished newborns.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

My sister-in-law was extremely obese (weighed like 300-400lbs) when she conceived and had our nephew. He is perfectly healthy. She was also over 35. So, I am sure, as with all pregnancies, there are risks; but like I have heard: statistics are good for populations but bad for individuals.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran

happymom2b HB User

I am the same measurements as you and weighed the same when I started the BC pill. I went off the pill in July of last year after 13 years of taking it, I weighed 205 and a month later I was pregnant. I am due in 4 weeks now. I have only gained 13 pounds this entire pregnancy. I have not had any real complications with the pregnancy itself. I wish you the best of luck!
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom2b
I am the same measurements as you and weighed the same when I started the BC pill. I went off the pill in July of last year after 13 years of taking it, I weighed 205 and a month later I was pregnant. I am due in 4 weeks now. I have only gained 13 pounds this entire pregnancy. I have not had any real complications with the pregnancy itself. I wish you the best of luck!
13 pounds ,,,I hope I only gain 13 no more than 20

Old 04-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #6

greeksiren HB User

My hubby and I are TTC. According to my regular cycles, I would have ovulated this past Tuesday (i.e. 3 days ago). How long does it take for conception or implantation to occur, once ovulation has happened? The reason I'm concerned is that I'm being paranoid about weight loss. I obviously don't know yet if I'm pregnant (too soon to tell) but over the past week or so, my weight seems to have dropped by 3 lbs. I know it's a VERY small amount, but I have been reading things all over the internet that say how horrible it is to lose weight once you've conceived. I know that our body weight fluctuates during the month, especially when dealing with women, but the truth of the matter is that for the past week or so, I HAVE been eating less every day than I normally do. I'm not 'dieting' by any means, just trying to make healthier food choices about portion size and amounts that I eat, etc... I wasn't really trying to lose the 3 lbs, but it has happened. Will this have any negative effect if I am pregnant? I know the harm is already done, if there was any harm, but I don't even know if an egg is implanted yet (i.e. my confusion about when implantation/conception occurs, hence the extent of damage caused). I know this sounds convoluted. Can anybody here ease my mind? Thanks!!!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User
Smile Re: Getting Pregnant and Being Overweight

Honestly, I don't know if losing weight like that will hurt you. However, I have read that some women with morning sickness may lose weight because of throwing up so much. So, I don't understand how losing weight from eating healthier would have a worse effect than losing weight from throwing up.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

I'm not the expert, but I agree with blue-eyed-girl. I know a lot of women lose weight during the first trimester from morning sickness, so I don't think it's actually losing weight that is harmful. What is probably harmful is depriving your body of nutrients by dieting incorrectly, or making your body go into starvation mode. I would say that if you are pregnant, and suddenly decide to eat fruit and grilled chicken instead of pepperoni and sausage pizza or a bacon burger (not saying that's what you're eating, just trying to make a point) and lose weight as a result of those healthier choices, there's probably nothing wrong. Just go with what feels right to you and remember that your focus needs to be on the life that (may be) is inside you. If that baby is craving health-food, let her/him have it!! But of course, if you are pregnant, and soon become hungry enough for bigger portions of whatever you choose, I think it is important not to starve yourself.

When are you testing? I hope you're pg!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #9

jenyfer24 HB User

Thanks everyone for your replys! Yeah, I am just worried about getting pregnant and being overweight. My goal was to lose weight before I got pregnant, but of course that didn't happen! But my doctor said that as long as I start to work out before I get pregnant, it is okay to continue during my pregnancy, so that is what I intend to do. I really want to try to keep control of my weight when I get pregnant, I don't want to gain too much! So hopefully I can lose a little before I actually get pregnant and then not gain to much during. Any more information from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #10

greeksiren HB User

Thanks for the prompt replies, Lawgirl and blue eyed girl - I appreciate it!! I don't think the minor weight loss will do too much damage, either, but since I was eating less and eating food with less calories (as healthy food generally has), the weight seemed to come off. To me, it seems logical that as long as I'm not starving myself and I'm not hungry all the time, the loss of a few pounds won't matter. I'm definitely not going to TRY to lose weight, just maintain. Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement! I'll try not to stress so much. Lawgirl - I'm due for my period in just over a week, so I thought I might test on Mother's Day if AF doesn't arrive by then - it would be a nice mother's day gift to get a positive test, wouldn't it?! Take care...

Old 04-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

I lost 12 pounds in my first Tri-Mester, I am 24 weeks now and I still have only gained back 9 of those 12. I am also over weight by 70 pounds and it took us 4 1/2 years to get PG so I don't know if the weight had anything to do with it but we had alot of infertility treatments everything except IVF, we had an appointment to start that and found out 2 weeks before that we are PG.

Good luck I hope I helped some

Siobhan
EDD 8/18/04
It's a Girl

Old 05-01-2004, 11:13 AM   #12

snoozin47 HB User

Hi there I was like you about 5 5 and 210 when I got pregnant. I am not almost 7 1/2 months along and have gained about 18 pounds total. Which isn't to bad because while I was tto I had gone on Atkins and lost 15 pounds so I am basically back to what I started at when I first tried. I used IUI with clomid and it took four tries before I became pregnant. I know they say being over weight can cause all kinds of issues but so far I have had the best pregnancy I could ever hope for. I had no morning sickness, minor heart burn, all my tests including gestational diabeties came back with no problems. The only thing I have had happen is that I am a bit anemic and that is being fixed by just taking an extra iron pill each day. My baby is moving, u/s show no problems and I am actually measuring at 32 weeks and I am only 29 so that tells me the baby is definately not to small. LOL I don't have any stretch marks. I do however have huge boobs. Although I started out with huge boobs but they are not way larger. that can be a bit of a pain but oh well what can you do. It is quite funny because most people say my boobs are so big but my belly is just now starting to catch up to them so most people think that my belly is small but I think it is just because my boobs are so big. I always say I am carrying triplets two are just higher than the other. LOL At least I know my baby will be well fed. LOL

Old 05-01-2004, 01:04 PM   #13

phja HB User

i was 5'5 and started between 173-218,with all 4 pregnancies. with the first 3 i gained 45lbs, i'm trying to keep it low this time. i had sections with all and i think the recovery is harded when you're heavy. the pregnancies went fine.good lluck

Old 05-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #14

jenyfer24 HB User

Thanks again to those of you who replied to me! Like I said, I just don't want to gain too much weight when I get pregnant. Also, I have big boobs now too (38DD) and I hope they don't get too much bigger during my pregnancy! I really don't need anymore! It is just a concern of mine being that I am heavier, I just don't want any problems and trying to lose the weight is just hard for me, it is hard to stick to diets! But thanks again ladies!

Closed Thread