It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
How much weight do you lose after delivery

I'm just curious how much weight you have lost immedieately after the delivery? I would assume at least the weight of the baby, but how much more than that?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User
Re: How much weight do you lose after delivery

Well since I'm so close to delivering...and such a nut about my weight and size, I did a bit of reading reguarding weight loss after delivery. Of course you lose the weight of the baby: anywhere from 6-9lbs, and you also lose the water (amniotic fluid) weight: I know it's about a quart, but I'm not sure on the poundage...about two maybe? I read that a woman would probably lose about 20lbs during her first week postpartum, but I'm not sure if that included the baby and water weight or not. But what I read was that pregnant women automatically stock up on fluids during pregnancy so hydrate them later, and you'll end up letting that out on the potty during your first two weeks. The blood that you've gained will go back to a smaller volume during your postpartum period, but they didn't explain how that happens. Also, the part we hate the most...the fat...it wears off depending on you: if you breastfeed, you're burning more calories; if you exercise (when you're able to of course...probably 4-6wks postpartum) you'll burn more calories; and of course there are other ways that weight may fall off as well.

I hope that helped a little at least. I know I'm definetly looking forward to that period when I can exercise these pounds off.
Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

Colorado girl dont be shocked by how little weight you lose with the babys born. When my daughter was born I gained 35 lbs, she weighed 8 lbs 4 ozs. and I'd lost 8 lbs I was devastated, however, by the time she was 6 weeks old I'd lost all 35 lbs + some and it wasn't from starvation. When your pregnant your body increases in blood, water, your boobs are bigger, etc., and it can take a couple of weeks for a lot of that to go away, so don't be discouraged. In my case, I was too tired to eat dinners and grabbed sandwiches when I could or cereal which I felt gave me more energy. Dinners were too heavy and most spare time is spent sleeping when the baby sleeps, because you're going to be up every 2 hours during the night. Remember, fat makes people fat. Prepare your mind to allow yourself time to lose the baby fat, before losing the fat fat that we pretty much all gain from being too tired to exercise and sleeping so much during pregnancy.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i actually gained weight because of water retnetion. i had to be put on lasics to get rid of it. i started out at 115lbs and ended up at 170 i am now 135. i still want to lose 20lbs, i feel like i have a ton of skin that won't tighten up. i would love to get back to my old self, but i am TTC again so this time i only plan on the suggested 25 pounds. i guess i thought i could eat whatever i wanted. not true. it has taken me 11 months to get where i am now. don't beat yourself up if it doesn't fall away. i am VERY active and only eat 3 meals a-day that are low fat and it is still taking this long. best of luck to you!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2004, 02:39 AM   #5

Goldie HB User

Ive read that breastfeeding uses 300 calories a day. And on top of that you will be burning calories when you are caring for the baby, you probably wont get much time just to sit back and relax you will always be on the go. When you have the baby try to stock up on fruit and low fat snacks such as cereal bars. Because like one of the other ladies said she has to grab something while she can, and you dont want it to be chocolate and crisps. Im sure that when the baby arrives you wont even think about your weight and you will be back in shape in no time.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Hmm, so you don't look much different the next few days after, huh? So, just bring your maternity clothes to go home from the hospital in?

Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

I have wondered the same thing, I had a lady that I work with tell me how disappointed she was that she didn't even lose the amount of the baby! I have been wondering what to take to come home in also!!!
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 05-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

I just wore my maternity clothes. I had only gained 14lbs with my son and had lost the weight when I left the hospital. He only weighed 4lbs 15oz so the rest was alot of fluid. I could have wore my regular clothes home but I knew I would want to be comfortable so I just wore some maternity clothes home. By the time he was 6wks old I had lost alot of weight. I just lost my appetite and concentrated so much on taking care of him I didn't think about eating. Although I am a big woman so it didn't hurt to lose that weight. Now I am scared I will gain like 50lbs or something with the next child!!

Old 05-27-2004, 10:18 PM   #9
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Hey all. I had my daughter on April 30th and had gained around 40 lbs in my pregnancy. About a week after delivery I'd lost about 20 lbs. As for what clothes to bring to the hospital to go home in, all the books I read said to take clothes that you wore when you were 4 to 5 months pregnant. Good luck to everyone.

By the way, I've also got alot of flab in the stomach area. My stomach actually resembles a deflated beach ball. Anyway, I've heard from numerous people that a good way to tone your stomach is Pilates. I went and bought the video "Pilates for Dummies" today so I'll let you all know if it works. Good luck to everyone.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Falynsmommy!!! Congratulations!
Wow, so that's where you've been all of this time. I hope that everything is going well for you and your little one. (Wow, how did I miss THAT birth?)

Well, with all of your replies about your experiences, I think I'm taking my mom's jogging suit with me to the hospital so that I can wear that home. Geez, I am a little frightened about the flab thing though.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:00 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

Platinum~Don't be frightened by the flab thing. My friend who looked like Olive Oil off Popeye (tall and skinny) had a baby 3 months ago. Now you can't even tell. Girl my cousin had a baby and right after the nurses teased her so bad b/c her stomach went flat again! Unfortunately, I am a big person anyway so I have the flab all the time!LOL

Old 05-28-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Falynsmommy congrats on your baby girl, and your weight loss! Have you posted the details? Name, weight, birthing experience, etc. I'd love to know.
It seems like the people that have been on here since I joined (when I first found out that I was pregnant 6 months ago) are starting to have their babies. That is so exciting.

It's strange because I barely looked pregnant in my fourth or fifth month, I was still wearingll of mygular clothes. In my 6th and 7th month, I have ballooned and gotten huge. I have also been eating A LOT. So, in terms of how much smaller I'll be after delivery, I guess I'll just have to 'weight' and see. (Oh that was bad).

Old 05-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Thanks Nutshell, but I think I am going to have a bit of flab. I was thin before, but I have a good amount of stretch marks on my stomach, and from my understanding, they are there because they've lost their elasticity...so they won't "shrink" back up with the rest of your skin, right?

Old 05-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Charisma,

Hey girl! Thanks! I've been reading your posts and thinking about you alot. I was going to post a reply and tell you that I've been thinking of you but I didn't want to butt in on anything. I do want you to know that you are in my thoughts and I wish you the best of luck with everything. Being young, single, and expecting a baby is very hard, no matter what anyone says, and even if you have wonderful support, like you and I both have. I understand the thoughts that have been running through your mind, but all I ask is that you wait and see how you feel after you have your daughter. I know as soon as I saw both of my daughter's faces that i wouldn't know what to do without them. In my opinion, I think alot of women who wonder how they are ever going to take care of, love, and want an unplanned child, find that as soon as they see them, don't know what they would do without them. Some don't feel this way, but some do. I wish you the best of luck with your new daughter and know that if you ever want to vent to someone, I'll listen.

Oh, btw, I strongly recommend the epidural. I had my first daughter without one (ouch!) and this baby with one. I felt NO pain. I even told the anesthiologist that I loved him. I was actually talking on the phone to my best friend when they were prepping me to push. LOL! It was wonderful, awesome, and nifty, and I'd get another epidural any day. Plus, the actual procedure was not that painful. Much less painful in my opinion than the contractions.

coloradogirl,

Thanks for the congrats. Yes, I posted her birth announcement on a thread titled "Addyson Lucille has arrived". All the info is posted there. Weight, length, birth experience, etc. I don't want to repost it all and cause overkill. As for what to wear, I would just take stretch pants and a loose shirt. You won't want anything restricting especially if you have stitches. Good luck!

Oh yeah, as for the flab, my advice is to begin working on getting rid of it as soon after the birth as you feel like it, and as soon as your doctor says its alright. I gained 50 lbs with my first daughter and got alot of belly flab, but I made the mistake of not doing anything to tighten or get rid of it after I had her. Now I have this pregnancy's flab on top of 8 yr old flab. YUCK!

Take care and sorry so long. You all know I like to yak!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #15
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Falynsmommy,

That sounds like a dream labor! I will check out your post.

Closed Thread