It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User
Diaper Bag to bring baby home from Hospital

Okay ladies bare with me, I am about to have my first child. And I definately suffer from pregnancy brain (where the baby takes all the brain cells you have), so I do ask dumb questions or come up with dumb answers.

My question is ....What are you ladies taking with you to the hospital to have for the baby or to have in case you need it for the way home. I figured it would be easier if I just packed his diaper bag for his things, especially since I am such a heavy packer I figured there wouldn't be room in my bag. This is what I have in there so far..............

Diapers (8), wipes, diaper rash medicine, mylacon, 3 blankets (one to use then let DH bring home so the dogs have the baby's scent, one to use to bring him home and a backup) 2 white onsies (one to wear under clothes to come home and one as a backup), socks, outfit to come home in, 2 little short one piece outfit w/ matching booties and hat.

Any suggestions on what else I may need?
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 06-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #2

Navywife22 HB User
Re: Diaper Bag to bring baby home from Hospital

I have to giggle at your post...

You need Diapers (8), wipes, diaper rash medicine just for the ride home??

How far do you live from the hospital??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navywife22
I have to giggle at your post...

You need Diapers (8), wipes, diaper rash medicine just for the ride home??

How far do you live from the hospital??

LOL!! DUH, I have pregnancy brain not missing the brain all together. Just figured I would go ahead and put those in there cause they will be things (staples) that will have to stay in bag! LOL sorry for the confussion!!! No wonder my husband looks at me and makes a slurping sound everytime a say something dumb!!!! He jokes with me all the time about the baby sucking all my brains out!
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 06-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #4

Navywife22 HB User

I completely understand. The more pregnant I get the more stupid I become!

Sounds like you have a good idea about the diaper bag. I have my bag all planned out but never even thought of a bag for the baby. I have an outfit for when she comes home but our hospital supplies everything the baby needs for the first few days.
I guess I should have the diaper bag ready to go, just in case.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

I believe our hospital supplies everything while you are there but I just never know what I may want/need. And it would so much easier if I have it than trying to explain to DH what I need and where he can find it! LOL
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 06-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User

That is such a good idea! I never even thought of packing a bag for the baby!!! This is my first too, but I'm pretty sure the hospital has diapers, etc. for you and I think I've heard they even send some stuff home with you.
The outfit to come home in sounds so cute, I can't wait til I come across the perfect dress for my little one to come home in. She's going to be SO fancy, lol!!!!

I think you'de be safe if you remembered the receiving blankets (one for the dogs is a great idea, I need to remember that also), an extra 3-4 diapers, clothing, and I doubt you'll even need the baby wipes but you can bring them just in case.
Good luck!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

I have had 2 kids--I live just 25 minutes from the hospital. First and foremost--you need a carseat! (LOL just had to throw that one in there!)...you really dont need much, as the hospital will provide everything needed. Basically all you should need is something for the baby to wear home--I would take a diaper and a "spit-up" rag just in case....a pacifier if you plan to use one..but UNLESS you live an hour or more away..or IF you plan to stop here and there to show the baby off....thats about all that you will need. But you should have formula from the hospital (what you dont use while in hospital), a receiving blanket from the hospital, and any left over diapers that you didnt use while in there, so there really isnt anything else thats necessary to take. Enjoy the baby!

Old 06-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

I too packed a lot more than I needed. I couldn't help it. I had this cute coming home outfit, and then because she was so little and so fragile seeming, I lost my nerve to get it on her. So, she ended up in a tshirt with her diaper and swaddled up for the car ride home. One thing I'd say though is to make sure you have room left in your bag for take homes. Our hospitals had us take everything disposable that they put in the baby's bassinet set. It had a lot of diapers and other supplies in it and I had my diaper bag so packed already.......<laughs>.

You also might want to bring more than one pacifer. Boil them to sanitize them and put them in a ziplock baggie when they're dry. You'll probably have a pacifer or two drop on the ground. And, even if you think you don't want to use a pacifier, bring it anyway, because you may change your mind when your baby gets a bit fussy.

Good luck and enjoy your little one.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:28 AM   #9

Amy2003 HB User

Its my first too. Do all hospitals provide most of what the baby needs when in the hospital?

Last edited by Amy2003; 06-08-2004 at 06:28 AM.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #10
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

Thanks for all the responses!! I actually already have the car seat in the car!! LOL

I wasn't planning on using the pacifiers at first because I am hoping/planning to breast feed so I heard they weren't suppose to receive anything but the breast for the 1st 2 wks. But the pacifiers are a good idea.

Amy2003 I am not really sure what all the Hospital provides, each hospital is probably different.

The formula is probably a good idea too!! I figured depending on how I feel I may try to stop by my work to show the baby off!!! Of course depending on how he is doing too!!
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 06-08-2004, 07:43 AM   #11
(female)

fouradss HB User

These are all good ideas! I have to laugh because I packed one of everything that was in her room. LOL But I will tell you that I was glad I packed wipes and diapers. The hospital only had size 1 and she swam in them. Plus trying to put them on and avoid the cord was almost impossible. I also used all the wipes that I took. The hospital supplied dry wipes (looked alot like dryer sheets). You had to wet them yourself. When wiping meconium (sp) for the first time it's nice to have good wipes. But other than those two things, the hospital provides everything. You also want to make sure that you have room to bring a lot of goodies home.

Teresa - I had a lot of problems while trying to breastfeed. She couldnt' latch on because my nipples are so flat. Plus when she would, and all she would get was colsterum, she would decide it wasn't worth it. So she had a bottle, binki and boob all at once. She didn't have any trouble switching, but every baby is different. I just got very lucky.

OH YEAH the one thing a forgot to take that I wished I would have - my own sanitary napkins!!!

Hope this helps

Alicia

Old 06-08-2004, 07:51 AM   #12

Gatormom HB User

Unless you're in a chilly climate, the new baby only needs to wear about as many clothes as a big person - - if you aren't wearing two shirts and a blanket, he probably doesn't need all that either!
With the wipes, I'd buy the mildest, unscented type, because anything besides water can irritate their new skin. That's one reason hospitals tend to clean the newborns with just water. Anything perfumed is potential irritation.
Best of luck with him, he's a lucky little guy to have his mom already thinking so much about all his possible needs! Take time for YOU those first few days and don't let visitors wear you out. Tell them when you're starting to get tired and kick them out!
Grandmother of Four

Old 06-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

LiveYourDreams HB User

My mom just told me to bring as much stuff as I need because the hospital charges ridiculous amounts for things you wouldn't think of. Like she said they charge $3 a pad!! So she told me to bring a huge thing of my own pads. $6 for two tylenol. Crazy!! So I'm bringing my own stuff like that because hey I have good insurance but come on! $3 a pad?!

Ammalin Rose - 10.23.2004
Nevaeh Marie - 05.16.2006

Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #14

usedtobefrosty HB User

I had my daughter last year. I brought 2 outfits, about 10 diapers, all sorts of creams and cotton swabs and blankets, and just way too much stuff. My own bag was even worse. What I wish I had brought was one bag with the following:
5 or 6 diapers of your own (in case you have to have a c-section, or the hospital diapers don't fit)
trial size moisturizer (babies are sometimes very dry the day after they're born)
1 sleeper and one outfit
socks/booties
hat
2 blankies
overnight pads without wings
underwear that fit really well(one size bigger than pre-pregnancy works well, no thongs!)
a tshirt and a pair of sweats or shorts
socks
comfortable shoes
toiletries

hope it helps

Old 06-09-2004, 05:49 AM   #15
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

Thanks Ladies!! All really good Ideas!!
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Closed Thread