It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User
Postpartum bath too soon???

Okay, I apologize in advance if this is TMI...

I'm two weeks postpartum, and I've been having the normal lochia flow, I guess. It's been red and heavy at first, and slowed down to a brown and medium flow. Now, I was scared to take any more than a shower and a sitz bath until today. I finally submerged completely in a tub since my delivery, and all of a sudden, my flow stopped. I thought that maybe if I used the bathroom, I would see some blood on the tp, but nothing! The only thing I saw was a bit of a very light brown discharge, but that was dry.

I know it's only been about twelve hours since the bath, but I just wanted to get this question out there. Is there something that went wrong? Did I take my bath too soon postpartum? How long was I supposed to wait?
Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Old 06-19-2004, 03:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Postpartum bath too soon???

No, you did nothing wrong. If you had a vaginal delivery that was pretty normal (no serious complications) than it's possible that your all healed up. Even with a c section scar to heal with my last two kids i didn't bleed for more than 2-3 weeks. As far as i know there is no restriction on having a bath (i have even had a bath in the hospital after a c section). Now i'm sure that every doctor/hospital has their own opinions on that, but as far as i know the only restriction is your not suposed to use tampons only pads.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

So, it's okay for my flow to just suddenly stop after taking a bath?

Old 06-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

could it be the bath just washed the remaining flow away? I can't tell you for sure, if your really worried you would give your doctor a call just to be on the safe side. It's better to call and know for sure so your not worrying about it.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi there platinum, try not to worry ok......The first thing I did when I got home from hospital was have a bath I have never ever heard of not being able to have a bath unless of course you had a c section which im sure you could still have one if you keep it covered etc....Im sure its just a coincidence that you stopped bleeding and nothing to do with the bath...I also stopped bleeding about 2 weeks after having Haley and then started again about a week later lol But if your really concerned give your doc a ring....TAKE CARE

Old 06-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

It's not that I'm THAT worried about it. I just really wanted to know. All of the books and things that I got from the hospital for postpartum self-care said that I should stick to a sitz bath for the first couple of days, but it never had anything to tell me when I should be able to take a bath...that's all. It just worried me in the sense that there was something else bleeding, like maybe the stitches, and I had already stopped...or something, I don't know. But I guess since I haven't really been in any pain them I'm okay?

I don't know, it was just really wierd.

Closed Thread