It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #1

jenyfer24 HB User
Exclamation What is brown blood exactly???

Okay so I have read many say that brown blood is old blood, but what does that mean exactly? If it is old blood where does it come from. These might be stupid questions, but since I went off the pill 10 months ago, whenever I get a period (at least I think it is a period, I have been very irregular) it is brown. This last time I had it for about 3 weeks, pretty much brown the whole time. I am waiting for it to come again, because if it is my period I should be getting it now, so far nothing...however today there is a slight tint of beige/brown in my discharge. Sorry if TMI, but I am really wondering about this. Last month I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. Now I am waiting to take another this month if I don't get a period. So is it possible I was pregnant last month when I had brown blood for 3 weeks?
Any advice about this would be great!!! Thanks!!!

Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
(female)

SweetPuff HB User
Re: What is brown blood exactly???

Hi. Well, the bad news is I can't answer your question. However, I've had kind of the same problem. I'm still on BC though. In Jan I thought I could be pregnant, but the test was Negative. My periods have been REALLY light except one heavier one in Feb. I've only had a little red blood and the rest is brown...which is weird for the first day! It was never like that prior to Jan. (I took the test then b/c I felt like I'd gained some weight, I was having back pains, breakouts, etc...) My face is still broken out from Jan-now for the first time in years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User

you can have brown blood for three weeks while being pg....

Old 06-25-2004, 04:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Basicly it just sits in your uterus...generaly when your on your period it doesn't sit in your uterus for too long before leaking out. The brown blood is blood that has sat in there a while before leaking out...i'm not sure how long it has to stay in there before it goes brown...for many women it is a normal thing. and yes it is possible to be pregnant and bleed brown blood...there are a few reasons why there could be blood accumulated in your uterus. If you have been bleeding for 3 weeks you really should ask your doctor about it.

Old 06-25-2004, 04:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User

three weeks in long, but some women bleed brown blood thru out their whole pg. I've already bleed brown blood for a week

Old 06-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #6

Chomie HB User

I have understood that brown blood is basically, old blood. I had a friend that had a period every 45-60 days. It was always brown. The doc said that she was not ovulating and that is why her period was not every 28-30 days. So basically, after the blood got to old to stay in there is just came out and it was brown because it was old.

I have also heard about brown blood assoc. w/ pregnancy is because it is blood the fetus does not use. So it just comes out. Our bodies clean themselves.

Old 06-26-2004, 07:07 AM   #7

jenyfer24 HB User

Thank you ladies for the responses, it has helped me with this a little bit. I still just don't really understand the whole thing though. I am going to the doctor FINALLY on tuesday, so hopefully he will be able to help me to find out what is going on!

Closed Thread