It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Why is aspirin and pregnancy a bad combination?

I've always known that taking aspirin during pregnancy is a no-no, but I've never known why. So, I ask now of HealthBoards' all-seeing, all-knowing members: WHY can't a pregnant woman take aspirin, or any painkiller for that matter, during pregnancy? What if it's taken early in the pregnancy (i.e., the first trimester) - can it result in things like miscarriage, or birth defects? Could the consequences be the same during the last stages of pregnancy?

I'm just wondering this out of curiosity - I've never known what terrifying danger aspirin can bring upon a pregnant woman.

Dark Stranger - is a curious kitten

Old 07-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: Why is aspirin and pregnancy a bad combination?

aspirin thins your blood--if you take an aspirin---have a miscarriage or go into labor---bleeding would be hard to control and stop. dr's recommend tylenol because it contains no aspirin. as far as other pain meds---could harm the baby. would not advise any medication without the approval from your OB/GYN.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 04:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I actually read that ibuprophen (i don't know if asprin would have the same effect) can prematurly close off the extra valve/blood vessels that the baby has in order to recieve blood from the placenta/cord. There are a few other reasons aslo, it is a blood thinner so like was already said if you went into labor you could bleed more, which could be harmful to you and the baby. I believe that asprin specificly can cause the same problems in an unborn child as it can in a young child, i forget what it is called.
I took ibuprophin a few times early in the pregnancy with my 2nd child, i didn't know that i couldn't untill i bought a new bottle of it and read the insert that came in it (the infor wasn't printed on the bottle) and it said pregnant women shouldn't take it. My daughter had no adverse effects from it, but it's best not to risk anything, so many things can go wrong even if the mother doesn't do anything wrong....not worth it for me. I know there are websites online that will tell you the effects of meds when pregnant, but i don't remember what i even searched for to find it before.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:17 AM   #4

keithsgirl22 HB User

you can go to safefetus.com and look at almost all medications and it will tell you the FDA rating in pregnancy and will also tell you the possible effects.

Closed Thread