It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 12:18 AM   #1

Lou81 HB User
Lexapro in Pregnancy?...Other antidepressants?

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I have just started TTC and I have fully weaned myself off Effexor XR 75mg as my GP said it would not be safe to take during pregnancy. I really wanted to take no meds at all during the pregnancy, however I don't feel that I would be able to cope. My GP has now prescribed Lexapro, as a safer alternative to Effexor XR. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with Lexapro or any other antidepressants during pregnancy? I'm starting on 5mg of Lexapro, and supposed to go up to 10mg. I'm hoping I can get away with only taking the 5mg. Any advice/experiences/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Lou

Old 08-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #2

PJ1126 HB User
Re: Lexapro in Pregnancy?...Other antidepressants?

I dont' know about Lexapro, but it is (I believe) the newest of the antidepressants - so studies may not be in re: safety in pregnancy. I don't say that to alarm you, though... Generally, with each new med, they improve on safety & cut down on side effects (or so they say...). You can do an internet search & see if you can find out. I'm on Paxil CR and have had no problem. I've heard that Paxil, Prozac & Zoloft are best - they've also been around for a while, so they have conducted studies on women who took it during pregnancy. Good luck. One last thought - you may want to consult with a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse (if you can just ask a question - wouldn't set up an appt and pay $200 just to ask 1 question...)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

walflower2 HB User

I took Lexapro for about a two weeks. I had a really bad reaction to it and was then given Paxil. I was weened off of the Paxil and then started ttc. I did a lot of research on Paxil and other SSRI's because I was concerned that I would continue to need something for anxiety but when I was weened off I had absolutely no problems and have had no problems since (that was about a year ago). The info that I found about SSRI's while pregnant is that they may cause side effects, but like everything else they may cause side effects for one baby but not another. Lexapro (and effexor and paxil) are all category C drugs which means it is not known for sure if they are harmful to unborn children. Also, they are passed through breast milk. What I was told by all of the doc's that I talked to was that it is best not to take it but that you have to weigh the risks. If you are a person that has severe problems if not taking it then you wouldn't benefit yourself or your baby by not taking it but if it is something that you can live without then that is best (as they say with pretty much all medication). I definately wish you the best, I know what you are going through and it is hard. Just remember to do what is best for you and your baby. Good luck ttc and take care!!

Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

walflower2 HB User

I forgot to tell you also that you should ask your doc if there are any medications that have been around for longer that are safe (any that are listed in a different category) or you could probably research that on your own online or in a drug book. You could also check research done on taking in only part of the time during pregnancy (like if you could hold off until the second trimester) if that would have any different effects. Sorry for such long posts, and again best wishes.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #5

Lou81 HB User

Thanks very much for your replies. I have done a lot of research on the net, and also spoken to my local pharmacist, and it all seems to say Zoloft is the most common during pregnancy. It is a category B, and because it has been around for so long, has had more study done on it. I think I will speak to my GP and OB about changing to this. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Lou81; 08-02-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

I was on Lexapro for a few months, and then switched to Zoloft b/c the copay for it was $20 instead of $45. I liked Zoloft MUCH better. Then when I told my dr we were TTC, she advised me to wean off Zoloft altogether b/c she said it is a class C drug. So I haven't taken anything at all since I got pg in March. I've been doing okay, but I know it could be a lot better if I could take something. I have thought about it going thru breastmilk too...I plan to breastfeed for 6 months but I know for a fact that already having depression, and then being post-partum, I will have to restart my meds right after the birth. I'm hoping that at least it will be less of an effect since in utero it would go into the bloodstream whereas this would just be injested. Has anyone's dr advised them not to take the meds while breastfeeding?

Closed Thread