It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
How long will it take after Depo injection

Please can someone help? I am new to this link and need some advise as i dont seem to be getting anywhere with Family Planning or the Doctors! I have been off the injection since the 26th May (that was when i was due my next shot), my Hubby and i wish to try for a child and have been trying since i came off the injection but nothing is happening. I no i need to be patient but its like waiting for christmas, the making is the good part the waiting is frustrating, i cant help looking at the baby clothes and getting myself all excited, i have done 3 tests and cried each time they came up negative. I am taking folic acid and also multibionta to make sure my body is ready (i cleared it with the pharmacist before doing so) Please can someone give me advise. it will be most appreciated.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran

0603david HB User
Re: How long will it take after Depo injection

Are you having your regular cycles again? It took me 6-8 months to even bleed again after I stopped the injections. Actually, I think my doc kickstarted me at 8 months with a drug called prometrium? Something like that. I got pregnant 14 months after I stopped the injection. I just was not ovulating because my body had not "unfrooze" yet. It is a great birth control but unfortunately I think it takes a few months to get your cycles back. But don't worry about becoming infertile because I was on Depo for 5 years and am on my 3rd pregnancy within 2.5 years (1 miscarriage).

Good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

No i havent started my cycles yet! thankyou for your advise, not sure if my doctor would kick start me as have not been on it long but its worth asking i suppose. I have also been on the injection for 5 years and its so nice to know that you can get pregnant after being on it for so long, it would have been nice if f.planning had warned me how long it may take once off the injection. Thankyou again

Old 08-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

it took me 6 months to concieve, hated depo, bad experiences with it, love april x

Old 08-03-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran

0603david HB User

Yeah, you should go over possible medication to kickstart. Me, myself, I could not wait any longer to get pregnant. I think he even gave me a prescription for Clomid for one month to get me ovulating too. However, I think everyone is different. Some people claim to get pregnant while taking Depo shots. I don't understand this though, I guess the medication just didn't affect them or something.

I wanted to tell you too, when I started returning to normal, I would bleed thick brown discharge for a period a few months after I stopped. I did that for about 5-6 cycles before I bleed normally. I did not bleed for 5 years though because of the shot.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Thankyou all for your advise, i will seek medical advise soon, will make appointment with the doctor, but there not allways helpfull. i have written down the drugs reccommended and put this to him, will keep you all posted, thanx again. Any more advise is appreciated.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
Unhappy Re: How long will it take after Depo injection

well,i went to the doctors, after speaking to my pharmacist and a nurse at the clinic, both who said it wouldnt be a bad idea to go onto clomid, spoke to the doctor and she basically said NO, she wants me to have been off the injection for a year and a half before she will consider putting me onto it! She did not really give me any valid reasons as to why, i was in there 5 minutes, tried to explain my circumstances but she still wouldnt listen, was a waste of my lunch hour as i am not allowed time off for seeing the doctor even though i do 3 days of 12hr shifts and the doctors could not see me on my days off for the next 3 weeks! pharmacist told me to take temp every morning and when my temp reaches 37c i will be ovulating, at least he was of some help. I feel like its never gonna happen, i will be patient but im not sure i can wait a year and a half, but i will try. Thanx all. Sam xx

Old 08-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

I wouldnt go by what the pharmacist said about your temps. She/he isnt in your body so they cant tellyou for sure what your temp will be when you ovulate. Like I have said reading the book I mentioned could help you. This way you learn to chart and what temp your body O's at not what someone guesses at.
Also the doctor isnt being against you,she just knows that it can take 18 months for the shot to get completely out of your system. And even though you are wanting things right here and now it just doesnt always work that way.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Iknow it doesnt work that way, would be nice though hey! just felt she wasnt listening to me and she wasnt giving me an explanation for as to why. either way i know she is thinking of my health and i am going to carry on with my lifestyle (maybe destress a little) take my folic acid tabs and vitamins, get that book and let nature take its course!!!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

It took me 2 years to conceive after Depo. I had a horrible experience with Depo, not while on it..........but the aftermath! I have been off the shot for 8 years and I still don't really get my period. I get a couple a year. I had to go on Clomid to conceive my son. Best of luck to you. Depo seems to damage a lot of women and it makes it very hard for some of us to conceive after it.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #11

sallyko HB User

I had only 3 shots of Depo provera after my first baby was born, stopped getting them in 2002 and since then had tubal pregnancy in 6 months after getting off of Depo and an early miscarriage 7 months after that. It's 2004 and we ttc but nothing has happened. It's been almost 2 years since i was off of depo and no success.
I've been charting my temps lately and my lpd is short. i had HSG and biopsy, hsg is fine, tubes are clear, right now waiting for biopsy results.
Among you who got pregnant after Depo, have you ever charted bbt and had LPD, short luteal phase? Did you get any infertility treatment? or did you get pregnant all of a sudden without any treatment? We really want to have 2 kids, we have one daughter. But i don't wanna use a hormone therapy, i wanna get pregnant naturally. Did you guys have some kind of treatment to become fertile again?
BTW I got my periods back immediately when i stopped Depo shots the same month .
Thanks for any advice you can give me

Old 08-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #12

sallyko HB User

Sorry i should have read your posts before writing mine. Now I see some of you had to take Clomid to get pregnant. I don't know if Clomid works for me or not , and if not i'll regret that i had to have my health damaged by Clomid which can cause ovarian cancer later in life.
i stopped trusting doctors since my gyn put me on Depo when i was 34. She knew i was gonna have 1 more baby in a year and she offered me Depo as a bc. I think only a doctor who doesn't care about his patients can do that , who doesn't care about her patients plans. She knew we wanted to have 1 more baby in a year and i was 34 and she knew that it might take up to 2-3 years to get pregnant or not at all and she never told me that she just offered me that and I was very unexperienced about any kind of stupid bc and did it. You know if Depo was a new bc i would say the doctors don't know yet the severe side effects of that drug. But it's been used for years, there is a woman who has been on Depo for 12 years and so it's not new , i think enough study has been done to reveal side effects of depo and my gyn knew that. If she didn't know that then she didn't have a right to offer me that, I have a right to sue her, but I don't wanna waste my time on that trash.
Sorry for my emotional message, i just don't trust any hormonal bc and doctors. Depo was a good lesson for me, since then I've been done alot of research about whatever my doctors tell me to do. No more bc, just natural way like TCOYf says.

Last edited by sallyko; 08-07-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 PM   #13

tenarms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammieP
Please can someone help? I am new to this link and need some advise as i dont seem to be getting anywhere with Family Planning or the Doctors! I have been off the injection since the 26th May (that was when i was due my next shot), my Hubby and i wish to try for a child and have been trying since i came off the injection but nothing is happening. I no i need to be patient but its like waiting for christmas, the making is the good part the waiting is frustrating, i cant help looking at the baby clothes and getting myself all excited, i have done 3 tests and cried each time they came up negative. I am taking folic acid and also multibionta to make sure my body is ready (i cleared it with the pharmacist before doing so) Please can someone give me advise. it will be most appreciated.
I was also due for a depo provera shot in may 2004. I am now pregnant. In August 2004. Every woman is not the same. Some can get pregnant right after getting off the shot but some can take a year. Be patient. It will happen when your body is ready.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

congratulations, my mouth dropped when i read that, so there is hope, i am pleased for you, please keep me up to date with your progress. so many questions i want to ask you eg, did you have a period, had you any signs? either way well done, im keeping my chin up now, now i know it can be done!

Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #15
(female)

susiebell22 HB User

hi I had my last injection in august 2004 and i still havent had a period. I came off it as me and my husband want to try for another baby mbut nothing is happening. I am so worried, I am only 22, we do have a gorgeous son who is 3 this year, but the thought of not being able to have anymore is heartbreaking. I am going to the doctors tomorrow as I am worried, as i know most of you are. Its a horrible feeling and i wish i never went on the injection. I am still getting alot of side effects, the main one being depression/panic attacks etc etc and all of this from an injection. I was never told about any of this by my nurse and non of the leaflets say about it either.

Closed Thread