It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User
Scared of VBAC- need advice from those that have done it

Hello... I have had a previous ceserean section with my daughter, who is now 5 years old, and I am pregnant again with baby #2. I want to try to deliver vaginally, but am scared to death of complications from a VBAC-including uterine scar ruptures. I am asking advice from ANYONE that has successfully (or unsuccessfully) had a VBAC. Please tell me what it's like, so that I can have an idea if I want to go through with this.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #2

elvispupy HB User
Re: Scared of VBAC- need advice from those that have done it

My VBAC baby is turning a year old in 9 days. I think all VBAC moms will go through some worry about the risk of UR. It's natural. The bottom line is, once you have had a c/s, there are risks whichever way you decide to deliver in subsequent pregnancies. We hear about UR the most because doctors are fearful from malpractice suits after a UR, but the truth is that the UR rate after a single c/s is only about 0.5% and there are just as serious complications that can come up in any birth that occur more frequently than UR in an attempted VBAC. Cesareans are also not without risk for current pregnancies and future ones. First and foremost, cesareans are major abdominal surgery and all the risks inherent with surgery exist. Secondly, as the number of cesareans goes up, the chance of problems in subsequent pregnancies increases. The likelyhood of things like placenta accretia, ectopic pregnancies, stillbirth and miscarriage all increase with each additional c/s. Cesarean born babies are at increased risk of respitory distress and can be cut by the doctor during the procedure. So you need to decide which risks you are going to take.

[ removed ]

good luck with your decision and your pregnancy!

Laura

Mom to Daniel (12/6/01, c/s) and Noah (8/18/03, unmedicated VBAC)

Last edited by moderator2; 08-10-2004 at 03:12 PM. Reason: please read the posting rules: website not allowed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

Thank you for responding. I didn't think anyone would. Although I found the info very helpful, I was looking more for a response about what it FELT like when you were having the baby? Were there worries about having to do another c/s if things didn't progress? Also, what caused you to have to your c/s the first time? I wasn't dialating past 6cm after 18 hours, and the baby started to go into distress. I am worried that if it happened the first time, it may happen again. Any thoughts or input from anyone?

Old 08-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #4

elvispupy HB User

What it felt like...It was definitely some of the hardest work I have had to do. Early labor actually felt like gas pains and I was in labor all day but didn't know it because I just thought it was bad gas (I know... ) but I was very busy that day, we even washed and vacuumed out our truck and once in a while I had to take a break due to the pains. I also have a very active toddler so I was busy with him until 10:00 that night when he finally went to bed. I soon realized the pains were coming at regular intervals and called my doulas to come. By the time they got their the pain was similar, but all over my uterus now, I definitely knew that was it. My biggest fear was getting to the hospital too soon and having them tell me I wasn't progressing fast enough or finding some excuse to section me. I beleived that I could do it, but I knew that the hospital staff wouldn't. I stayed home many more hours, labored in my tub, which was wonderful! Between ctx I could just chat with my doulas, but now I had to stop, focus and breathe through them when they hit. They were still 2-3 minutes apart at that point.

I didn't decide to go to the hospital until I had to get out of the tub to vomit and was shaking (signs of transition) so I got dressed and we went. By the time I decided to leave, I had no more fears about having a c/s, I knew I was doing it.

When I arrived at the hospital, ctx almost immediately started coming without pause. I labored in a number of positions one would work for one ctx and then the next one I would have to change. about 2 hours later I was feeling pushy, but had a lip and couldn't. That was the most painful, fighting the urge to push I had a thought of asking for drugs, but my doula kept me focused on breathing through the ctx and I never did ask. I asked for the squat bar and that took the lip away pretty fast. once I got the go ahead to push, it felt better. I was grunting loudly. It was very intense, intense pressure, pain, very hard work! I soon felt "the ring of fire" as he was crowning and touched his little head. I should have slowed down a bit to prevent tearing, but I just pushed with all my might and he was out in 2 pushes from crowning so I did end up with a 2nd degree tear.

I guess I wasn't too worried about not progressing because my first c/s was a failure to progress due to induction, so really, it was a failed induction. Also, my son was posterior (sunny side up) and asynclitic (head tilted) due to epidural and AROM. My body was not ready to go into labor and I was not able to be mobile to help with his positioning. With my VBAC, I went into labor on my own and avoided interventions which would have contributed to malposition so I knew my body was ready and I did everything I could. I had resolved myself that I was ok if I needed a c/s for a valid reason, I was just worried about another unecessary one.

Were you induced or augmented with your first?

-Laura

Old 08-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

My water broke in the early morning and when I got the hospital, they felt my contractions were not progressing, so they gave me something to help speed up contractions. I couldn't handle the pain, so they gave me drugs and I remember the pains getting dulled. Each time they checked me, I had only progressed a little bit, and it felt so heartbreaking to me that I had taken all these prenatal classes and lamaze and my body was not cooperating with me. I had to use an oxygen mask by the end of the 18 hours because I was so scared when they told me I was going to need a c/s. From what I remember, the baby's heartrate dropped and they had to get her out immediately.

I am afraid of having a similar situation happen with this baby. And I am also afraid of pushing and the whole experience of having the baby vaginally. My family tells me "you don't what it's like to give birth" and it's so hurtful. I want to prove to them and myself that I can do this. And I remember the recovery from the c/s being long and painful.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

I live in Oklahoma and they had VBAC on the news yesterday. According to a Malpractice Insurance agency, this procedure is to risky and as of December 31, 2004 doctors won't be covered on it.

I think it should be up to the mother to decide.

Last edited by blue_eyed_girl; 08-11-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

wow, that is something i should know... looks like i need to research my medical plan. Was it national? I didn't hear anything about that... that is something that just feeds my fears and makes me more emotional. I didn't want to have another c/s because of the fact that it's major surgery and my recovery was awful. Looks like i wont' have much of a choice.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24
wow, that is something i should know... looks like i need to research my medical plan. Was it national? I didn't hear anything about that... that is something that just feeds my fears and makes me more emotional. I didn't want to have another c/s because of the fact that it's major surgery and my recovery was awful. Looks like i wont' have much of a choice.
I don't know if it is national. They just had a section about it on the local news. They only talked about one company, it started with a "P" but I can't remember the name.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #9

elvispupy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyed_girl
I live in Oklahoma and they had VBAC on the news yesterday. According to a Malpractice Insurance agency, this procedure is to risky and as of December 31, 2004 doctors won't be covered on it.

I think it should be up to the mother to decide.
It was just one company, but one that seems to be the major carrier for most doctors in the state of OK. The problem with VBAC is while the risk for uterine rupture is 0.5%, doctors are at high risk of getting sued for malpractice if something goes wrong during a VBAC. They have a saying that goes "the only c/s I got sued for was the one I didn't do"

malpractice insurance carriers know that VBAC injuries = big payoffs so they are declining to cover them. It's not about what is safe for you and your baby, it's about what is safe for them that saves them $$$. A doctor with a malpractice insurance carrier that doesn't cover VBACs could theoretically still offer VBAC, but if something did happen s/he would have to pay the settlement out of pocket since the insurance company doesn't cover it, and let's face it, the chances of that happening are slim to none.

~Laura

Last edited by Administrator; 01-31-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #10

elvispupy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMomma24
My water broke in the early morning and when I got the hospital, they felt my contractions were not progressing, so they gave me something to help speed up contractions. I couldn't handle the pain, so they gave me drugs and I remember the pains getting dulled. Each time they checked me, I had only progressed a little bit, and it felt so heartbreaking to me that I had taken all these prenatal classes and lamaze and my body was not cooperating with me. I had to use an oxygen mask by the end of the 18 hours because I was so scared when they told me I was going to need a c/s. From what I remember, the baby's heartrate dropped and they had to get her out immediately.

I am afraid of having a similar situation happen with this baby. And I am also afraid of pushing and the whole experience of having the baby vaginally. My family tells me "you don't what it's like to give birth" and it's so hurtful. I want to prove to them and myself that I can do this. And I remember the recovery from the c/s being long and painful.
The first thing you must realize is that your body is not broken. Because of fear of infection (which wouldn't be such a problem if they wouldn't do so many vaginal exams) they wanted to artificially speed up your labor. Most women will go into labor within 24 hours after AROM. The problem is inductions don't always work and contractions from induction can be overly-painful compared to natural labor. Induction can also cause fetal distress. A big contributer to the enormous rise of cesareans in this country is the increasing induction rate.

The second thing is that you need to educate yourself about birth. Before birth moved to the hospital, you would have a whole group of experienced moms around you and at your child's birth to help you out and reassure you about what was normal, you grew up around it, you knew about it. Now we put all our trust in the medical professionals and may take a class or read a book, but that isn't enough. Our society likes to deluge pregnant moms with labor horror stories, we fear birth. An independent childbirth class like Bradley or Birthing from Within, would be a wonderful start. Hiring a doula is another thing, then you'd have someone with you during labor who has experienced normal birth, doesn't fear birth and can support you and your husband with whatever your preferences.

HTH

~Laura

Old 08-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Yes having a VBAC does have it's risks, but so do vaginal birth deliveries as well. My first child was born by c-section after 13 hours of labor that did not progress. My daughter ended up ingesting meconium and at that time I was only dilated 4 cm and of course we could not wait for me to get to 10cm to deliver the baby.....so I had a c-section and it was horrible. It was discovered that epidurals don't work for me during my surgery and I felt everything up until they knocked me out. My recovery was also very painful.

When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, I was determined to go for VBAC, and I did it. It came close to becoming another c-section because my labor progressed very slowly, but I hung in there and since my son was in no distress they let me go for it as long as I could deal with it since again an epidural didn't do the job for me. I had a 26 hour labor with my son, but it was all worth it. My recovery time with the vaginal birth was a walk in the park compared to my recovery from my c-section. The delivery wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated either. For me, the labor was the worst part.

Another thing..........giving birth vaginally is not the only way to experience child birth. People have so many different views on what natural childbirth is and to me it is all bogus!!! Whether you have a vaginal childbirth, a c-section, a medicated birth or an unmedicated birth is all the same to me................it's called giving birth to life!!!So shame on the people out there who have told you that you don't even know what it is to give birth! You've already done it!!!

Another thing............if I were to have any future children, I would aim for another vaginal delivery..........only because it is so much easier than a c-section as far as the recovery goes.

Last edited by barton93; 08-11-2004 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

Thanks for the info.

It would be nice to hire a doula, although we are struggling with finances right now. I have Kaiser insurance, and have heard some scary things about birthing experiences at Kaiser. I agree that the induction may have caused me more problems, but when you are a first time mother(and I was single, at that) you will agree to anything the doctor's say because you don't know any better. I really want to try to do this... thank you, barton, for giving me some encouraging words. Anyone who can make it out of a 26 hour delivery with a healthy VBAC baby deserves a lot of credit.

And I have researched VBAC under the MSN search engine, and got a lot of info. I was a little bothered by the thought of rupturing, but it sounds as though the chances of that REALLY happening are slim. With my luck, I'd be one of the statistics, huh? -lol-

Closed Thread