It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
Help For nighttime heartburn

Hello

I am 13 weeks and vey happy and grateful for this pregnancy(my first after years of trying) for the most part I have been feeling great, no throwing up or feeling sick. But here is my recent problem and I really hope someone can help me since it is disrupting my sleep. I teach so i need to sleep as well as possible at night.

My problem is heartburn and midnight hunger.

Often I am awaken with heartburn and cannot go back to sleep. Rolaids, Tums makes it worse. Sometimes eating an apple helps but not always.

Every night i wake up hungry, like with a burning hunger in my belly. This has been going on since day 1. But usually I would eat some yogurt or cereal and go back to sleep. But lately the eating triggers heartburn after and i am awake at 3 Am exhausted but in too much pain to sleep.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so , what can be done about it? Are there certain foods and drinks that can trigger heartburn?

Thanks a lot it is currently 2 Am that i am writing this.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:33 AM   #2

lil miss HB User
Re: Help For nighttime heartburn

firstly congratulations on your pregnancy

i had terrible heartburn through the whole of my pregnancy it didnt seen to matter what i ate, i would be awake the whole night in pain, or i would just sleep sitting up! one of the suggestions my midwife gave me was to put a little bit of fresh ginger mixed with honey in boiled water, this did help to ease the symptoms enough for me to be able to sleep tho i know everyone is different.

good luck hun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 03:40 AM   #3

maldred HB User

I too have suffered from heartburn for my entire pregnancy. Tums do help me, but I try to only take them if absolutely needed. What I have founs that helps me, is to sleep on my left side and always have a glass of water on hand. When all that acid starts moving up, I gulp down water to push it back down. It seems to help me a lot. Good Luck on the rest of your pregnancy!! Melanie
#1 edd 8/13

Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

hello and thanks for the replies. I will try the ginger idea. I appreciate the input. I drank a glass of warm milk before bed and that seemed to help a bit last night.

Oh well i guess it will be all worth it!!

Old 08-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

drinking can for some people cause more problems because it just pushes everything up and can make it worse or more likely to happen. What about taking something liek zantac before bed? Talk to your doctor or pharmasist to see if it's safe (i believe it is). Ginger is also suposed to be great...eating things like crackers and bread can help also, they soak up the acid so it can't physicaly cause heartburn.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

I have terrible acid reflux and heartburn, and one thing that works, at least for me!, is to eat about 1/2 cup of low-fat vanilla ice cream about 1-2 hours before bed. When I do, I have no problems! I hope you find a solution!

Old 08-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI again

Last night was horrible. I had the burn so bad i was considering the ER. I have had heartburn in the past but never this bad. I was beginning to wonder if i have an ulcer? So when I finally started breaking out in a sweat and moaning i did take a zantac. I thought it was considerend not safe for pregnant women that is why i have no t been taking it. I looked up online and some sites said there had none been enough studies done to know for sure, others said it was considered generally safe. Wow , did the zantac save my night. i felt better in about 45 minutes and slept great through the night. I also bought some ginger tea today. Thanks for the input from everyone, i just can't believe how painful heartburn can be.

Last edited by Hope2Heal; 08-06-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #8

happygrl HB User

I have been experiencing heartburn just this past week. I am a teacher too and it is so important to get good sleep. I was in such discomfort that I went on to the computer in the middle of the night looking for home remedies. I found that you can take some baking soda (i mixed it in a little juice). It actually helps you belch a lot and relieves the burn. I was able to sleep after that. Hope this helps!

Old 08-13-2004, 06:41 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

Well this is what I have been doing for the heartburn. I started eating small snacks and small meals about every 2-3 hours instead of a big lunch or dinner. Also I completely cut back on spicy fatty rich greasy fried foods altogether. I have been very careful this week and have felt completely better. My first 3 months I was craving all kinds of fattening things like icecream, buffalo wings, burgers and fries, I even ate an Arbys sandwich for the first time ever. While everyone talks about how they threw up the first 3 months, I was eating the biggest meals ever. I did gain 6 pounds in 4 weeks. I am eating no junk food at all now, and knowing it helps the pain of heartburn keeps me motivated to be good. I am a small and thin person that usually can eat anything without gaining weight or having problems. . . until now!!!
Baby is making sure I change my bad habits.
Good luck everyone and thanks for all your replies.

Closed Thread