I recently had the results of my first (5 month) ultrasound and was informed that Echogenic bowel (several loops) were detected in my baby's abdoman. My doctor was very somber when she delivered the news and said I would be having a level 2 ultrasound next month to confirm the findings. I've been doing my fair share of research am very concerned, and also really irritated that I have to wait 6 weeks before I know what the next test will reveal. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who has had the same results from a first ultrasound or knows anyone who has and can tell me more about it from a human standpoint. The literature is rather informative but my doctor was in no way reassuring. Thanks.
I too had a 1st level ultrsound when I was 5 months pregnant. They did not tell me the full reason why I needed to come back for a 2nd level- only stating that parts of the heart chambers were unclear. After the level 2 my dr. said he thought he saw Echogenic bowel- but it didn't show on the level 2. Being this was my 1st pregnancy, I must have been a bit naive- and just left feeling relieved that everything was OK. No further testing was done.
Now here's where my story turns and I definately do NOT want to upset you. This may very well not be the case for you, I'm not diagnosing , I'm posting because I've been there and am a "pro" at the rest.
My now 2 year old son has Cystic Fibrosis--- his EB cleared itself by the time I had the level 2 and it did not cause any further issues or require surgery. The hospital I gave birth in does not screen for CF, so unfortunately my little one did not get dx until he was 5 months old. As you've probably already read, EB is a warning sign of CF. I'm sure if your level 2 shows it again, your doctor will do carrier testing on you or possibly an amnio. I would strongly recommend that it be done- I wouldn't want anyone going through even 1 day without a diagnosis
As far as CF- 1 in 32 people are carriers-- 2 carriers get together, there's a 25% chance the baby will have CF. My husband & I had no family history of it.
I know what you're going through, its hell. Call your doctor and tell them that 6 weeks is absolutely too long for you to wait, mentally it is just too much. Be firm- they need to know how difficult waiting is.
Our son is doing absolutely fantastic- he had a rough start and takes a few meds, etc- but amazingly (and I never ever thought we could) we are managing his CF and living normal lives.
Please get any testing you can to rule out CF. And feel free to ask me ANYTHING at all. The journey is long, and painful (especially in the beginning) and if I can do anything to help you along I will
I'm not trying to scare you either, but ditto on getting it checked, so if your child needs surgery, they can prepare you and be prepared to do so immediately.
When DS was born, they though he'd pooped right before he was born. Turns out he had a blockage, twisting... Had to be flown to another city for emergency surgery before he was even a day old because there wasn't a pediatric surgeon available. While he was undergoing surgery a portion of his small intesting which was impacted and full of infection burst, so the poor little guy ended up being on iv antibiotics for over a month because of infection. He was also diagnosed with CF. We were lucky to have an immediate diagnosis so we could start treatment almost immediately.