It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
Need advice regarding possible m/c

Hi! I usually post elsewhere. I'm posting with regards to a close family member who is just age 22 and expecting in April, 2005. She is in her first trimester (4 wks), and our family was pleased it was growing!

Unfortunately, we've had some dismal news and I wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Particularly, if anyone has gotten through the same with positive results--delivery of a healthy baby! I just want to give her hope if I can.

Last Thursday, she noticed spotting and went to the ER. A pelvic and ultrasound was done. The physician determined the spotting was due to her uterus stretching. (He noticed a cyst on her ovary too) He sent her home with a doctor's note ordering two days of bed rest, and she complied completely. Yesterday, she was suppose to resume working but instead returned to the ER concerned about lots of blood in her urine. After the pelvic and lab tests, she said the phys. told her there wasn't as much of the pregnancy hormone in her blood test that they usually like to see. She was told, quite possibly a miscarriage may occur. She has two more days off and asked me what can she do to try and keep from m/c.

My family member has had a previous m/c two years ago. It was after an assault, unfortunately, and she had to be hospitalized as she hemorrhaged badly. She's very scared of hemorrhaging again, but mostly, she wants to have her baby, as you can imagine.

Has anyone experienced heavy spotting, and/or blood in the urine and had a successful pregnancy? Thanks for your time and responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
Re: Need advice regarding possible m/c

Hi.
I had a very similar experience with my first son. I got pregnant with the use of fertility drugs. I got pregnant, but I also got a large cyst on my ovary. Right around 6 wks pregnant, my HCG levels "tapered" off, and the doctors were convinced that the baby would not survive. There was also a great concern about the cyst (rupture, etc). I went to the ER so many times that they should have changed the name of the hospital. At one point, right around 5 wks, I was having some pains, went to the ER and they did some ultrasounds. Now, because I wasn't very far along, they had to give me a catheter to fill my bladder with water. I had a bad reaction to it, and they ended up scratching my bladder, therefore making it bleed a bit. The doctors told me that I would likely miscarry. I was crushed. The day I was supposed to get a D&C to remove the stuff, they did one last ultrasound, and BAM, there was my son. Weird.

As time went on, the cyst got smaller (my doc said something about the hormones and the effect of pregnancy has on cysts has been known to shrink them a bit). My son didnt grow much and ended up forcing his way out 11 1/2 wks early. He was little, his skin looked like wax paper, but he was healthy.

Unfortunately, there really is nothing one can do if a miscarriage is beginning. Sometimes the hormones just arent right. It is a very hard thing to go through (I had 1 m/c and 1 stillbirth since my son was born in 1997), and the best thing you can do is just be there for her, and provide a loving shoulder for her. I would suggest bed rest (although I am not a dr), lots of fluids, and to just TRY to relax (I know, easier said than done).

Pregnancy isnt always easy. For many, it is challenging and sometimes frightening.

I will keep her in my prayers. Please do let us know if you need to talk....

Old 08-10-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Thanks so much for sharing your story! So glad there was a positive turn of events for you and now you have a son!

I know there isn't much that can be done when nature decides it's course! My heart is just breaking for her and I am being strong so she can lean on me. Thanks for the support. It is very much appreciated and I will be back!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

What were the results of the ultrasound?

I had some spotting, but it wasn' heavy. It lasted off and on for about 2 months. I also went to the ER twice. The u/s found a hb and a little baby, so my chances of m/c decreased a little. Whenever there is bleeding in pregnancy, they usually call it a threatened miscarriage even if they don't know why the mother is bleeding. They could never tell me why I was spotting.

I hope everything works out for her.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:59 PM   #5

tenarms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasunflower
Hi! I usually post elsewhere. I'm posting with regards to a close family member who is just age 22 and expecting in April, 2005. She is in her first trimester (4 wks), and our family was pleased it was growing!

Unfortunately, we've had some dismal news and I wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Particularly, if anyone has gotten through the same with positive results--delivery of a healthy baby! I just want to give her hope if I can.

Last Thursday, she noticed spotting and went to the ER. A pelvic and ultrasound was done. The physician determined the spotting was due to her uterus stretching. (He noticed a cyst on her ovary too) He sent her home with a doctor's note ordering two days of bed rest, and she complied completely. Yesterday, she was suppose to resume working but instead returned to the ER concerned about lots of blood in her urine. After the pelvic and lab tests, she said the phys. told her there wasn't as much of the pregnancy hormone in her blood test that they usually like to see. She was told, quite possibly a miscarriage may occur. She has two more days off and asked me what can she do to try and keep from m/c.

My family member has had a previous m/c two years ago. It was after an assault, unfortunately, and she had to be hospitalized as she hemorrhaged badly. She's very scared of hemorrhaging again, but mostly, she wants to have her baby, as you can imagine.

Has anyone experienced heavy spotting, and/or blood in the urine and had a successful pregnancy? Thanks for your time and responses.
Low hormone levels puts you as a high risk pregnancy. There are the possibilities of miscarriage and also birth defects but not always.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyed_girl
What were the results of the ultrasound?

I had some spotting, but it wasn' heavy. It lasted off and on for about 2 months. I also went to the ER twice. The u/s found a hb and a little baby, so my chances of m/c decreased a little. Whenever there is bleeding in pregnancy, they usually call it a threatened miscarriage even if they don't know why the mother is bleeding. They could never tell me why I was spotting.

I hope everything works out for her.
Hi!

The u/s found that she is 4 weeks along. I can't recall if she mentioned a hb but I'm sure there was one! Your post is very helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Hi Tenarms! Thank you for clarifying the info about the low hormones and its significance.

Closed Thread