It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #1

MandyS HB User
Bicorneal uterus

I am going in for another ultrasound because of a Bicorneal uterus.
Found a few things about it that don't sound good.
Has anyone else had this or know anything about it.

I would really appreciate some information on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 10:07 PM   #2

MandyS HB User
Re: Bicorneal uterus

I got it wrong it is Bicornute or Bicornuate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Mandy,
I have a bicornate uterus, too, because my mother was given diethylstilbesterol when she was pg with me in the early 1950s. My OB history is not very good because of this defect. I had a "missed " miscarriage the first time. The other 4 times I was pregnant, I went into premature labor, losing a baby at 20 weeks and at 22 weeks, then having my sons at 26 weeks (he's 20 years old and has mild CP, but builds computers!) and at 34 weeks (he is 24 years old and is just fine).

I had a hysterosalpingogran (ouch!) to determine if the small side of my uterus was connected to my cervix. It's not good to get pg in the small side because it cannot stretch enough to let the baby get big enough to survive. Even when you get pg on the bigger side, there is less room than normal for the baby to grow. My older son weighed 6lb 2oz when he arrived at 34 weeks.

Things may have improved in this area since my sons were born. I hope so!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 08-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #4

MandyS HB User

That is just what I have found on different sites. What is a missed miscarriage, is it a chemical pregnancy?
I am 21 weeks pregant now with my first baby. I am pretty sure (due to the massive bleedings I had) I have had 2 chemical pregnancies, related or not I don't know. My baby is on my right side, I am hoping it is the spacious and stretchy chamber. I am going in for an ultrasound in two weeks. Not soon enough but earliest appointment I could get.

Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Mandy,

Back when I was TTC, there was nothing called a chemical pregnancy, so I cannot tell you what that is.

A "missed" miscarriage (or in medical terms it's a "missed abortion" because abortion just means the early ending of a pregnancy) means the baby died in the early weeks of the pregnancy and your body didn't get the message. I had been taking my basal temperature, so knew when I conceived. The doctor noticed my uterus stopped growing, then did 2 ultrasounds a week apart to look for growth and a heartbeat. When neither ultrasound detected any signs of life, I had a D&C.

When a preganacy suddenly ends with cramping and bleeding, that is called a "spontaneous abortion". It usually occurs by the 12th week of pregnancy and is the most common. After any heavy bleeding - especially when you're pregnant - your doctor should check you to make sure all is well.

From my experiences, I suggest you call the doctor at the first sign of your uterus contracting or if you have any bleeding. I wrote off the contractions to being Braxton Hicks, so didn't call when I should have. Clue: BH contractions are never regular. Real contractions become regular. Have your suitcase packed early, just in case.

If you have a job that is strenuous, ask your OB doctor if you need to take a leave of absence early because of your smaller uterus.

Congratualtions for reaching 21 weeks!! That is wonderful. Hope the remaining weeks of your pregnancy are delightful!

Peace - Barbara

Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
(female)

waterfun72 HB User
Smile Re: Bicorneal uterus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyS View Post
I am going in for another ultrasound because of a Bicorneal uterus.
Found a few things about it that don't sound good.
Has anyone else had this or know anything about it.

I would really appreciate some information on this.
Mandy, do not be too worried. I too have a bi-corneal uterus. When I was pregnant with my son (now 12 yrs old) ultra sounds showed he was just breach. Water broke in middle of the night. It was not until my water broke at 36 weeks and I had a c-section that they discovered the two uterus'. Shaped like a heart with a wall down the middle (a septum), he was in the left horn. 4 years later I got pregnant, but miscarried at 2 months. No D/C was needed. The ultra sound showed the embryo had attached to the wall, therefore, recieving no nutrients. A year later I became pregnant and at 3 months, had difficulty breathing. The doctors thought this was a tubal pregnancy, but a laprascopy was performed showing I was still pregnant, in the left horn, but pregnant in the right as well! The size of the embryo showed I got pregant 1-2 months apart. The breathing problems I had was because of a cyst (minor). I miscarried the one in the right side 2 weeks later...no D/C needed. They said this was because the left, now a fetus, was taking all the nutrients. My water started to slowly leak at 36 weeks. My child was one month early, born 5 lb 13 oz. 3 yrs later i became preg in right uterus. Pre-mature labor at 24 weeks so put on bedrest. Was admitted to hospital at 27 weeks for pre-caution. Water broke at 28 weeks 3 days. Ultrasound revealed the wall that separated the two uterus had torn and baby had moved into the left horn (they said he wanted a living room! LOL!!!) Had emergency c-section. Baby was 2 lb 7.5 oz....12 inches long. Was in neo-natal unit for 2 months. No major complications after he got out except hernia surgery at 1 yrs old. He was a healthy child. I physically am pretty healthy, however, after 3 c-sections, the docotrs hinted that I should probably be done with having children. I would not worry too much. Just make sure your doctor is familiar with the double uterus. My son is a healthy 5 year old now as all my children are. I joke that now I have a huge uterus...double the size of everyone elses :-)

Last edited by waterfun72; 08-09-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Closed Thread