It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran

0603david HB User
Sugar Testing at 28 weeks....

I have a question for you guys. When I was pregnant the first time I had that orange drink that was gross and I beleive they drew my blood before and after.

Well, this is my second pregnancy and I went in last night thinking I was going to have the same test but instead they asked me if a ate more than an hour ago and then drew my blood. Supposedly this was my glucose test. Shouldn't it be the same as the 1st pregnancy, orange drink????

Is it supposed to be different the second time around??

Old 08-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #2

Navywife22 HB User
Re: Sugar Testing at 28 weeks....

The glucose test should be done at 28 weeks and does involve drinking the orange drink.
They have made improvements to it but it is still pretty bad!

What happened with you doesnít sound quite right. I would call your Doctors office, explain what happened, and ask what the procedure should be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but when I was tested for hypoglycemia (before I got pregnant) I needed to not eat for so many hours. I am sure how long you ate before the test could have an effect on the results. Since you were over a certain time period, maybe you didn't have to drink that stuff.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Veteran

0603david HB User

Yeah, I am going to call doc tomorrow. I just don't understand why I didn't have to drink the orange stuff this time. Thanks ladies...

Old 08-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I had to drink the orange stuff. Then I flunked it 'cuz we had a number of birthday parties at work that week and I'd been eating lots of donuts, cookies and cake. So I had to take a three hour test -- have my blood tested. Drink a bottle of even sweeter orange stuff and have them test my blood three more times -- every hour.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

LiveYourDreams HB User

Yeah that's really weird. I had my glucose test at 24 weeks and I drank that sugary orange soda stuff too.

Ammalin Rose - 10.23.2004
Nevaeh Marie - 05.16.2006

Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

The purpose of drinking the orange stuff is so they know exactly how much sugar you have injested..that way they know how much should be in your blood judging by that. otherwise none of us would have to drink it, we could just eat normaly and wait an hour. I know when my bf went in for a diabetes test he had to fast, get blood taken then go eat something and go back an hour after he ate. But that's not the same test you recieve when pregnant, i've got 3 kids and it was the same for all of them.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

I had my glucose test last Friday and I had to slug down that nasty orange drink too. Then they drew my blood after an hour, from my arm! When I was pg with my son, I was with a different dr, and they used a finger stick, which was much better b/c I have very small, deep veins. I am still bruised from Friday! I'm sure that they can't do a glucose screen on a pg woman without using the sugar drink, for the reason MandyAnne gave...they have to have a constant to judge by. Let us know what you find out!

Last edited by Momx2in04; 08-12-2004 at 12:49 PM.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran

0603david HB User

Well, I called the nurse and she said that was weird that they did not give me the orange drink. However, my test results for fasting came back normal so they aren't going to do anything unless I start to show some problems. She told me not to worry about it. I think if I get bad gestational diabetes I would swell and have a big weight gain do you think? But she did say it is standard to have a 50 mil drink for the test every pregnancy. I think I'm switching labs, this is the second time they made a mistake.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

You're probably okay, but I guess for peace of mind, I guess I'd maybe demand a retest, done correctly -- JUST because. I never gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy, nor did I swell up and I FLUNKED my first glucose test and had to go back for the three hour one. I was fine after that, but a coworker of mine, who also didn't gain weight DID end up with gestational diabetes and had to test her blood sugar and go on medication for it.

Closed Thread