It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 05:57 PM   #1

aimyers HB User
alcohol and pregnancy

i am asking this question because my husband and i both drink. he's australian and drinking is very much a part of their culture. we have a least a bottle of wine a night. currently we are not using any birth control, but not trying to get pregnant either. my concern is, that if i do, (and i am 3 days late right now, but have hpt neg.) the drinking will cause a problem because i didn't know that i was preg.. like i said, i am not trying to get pregnant, so i have continued with my nightly bottle of wine.

what are your opinions on that?

also, he has said that if we do have a child, he wants him to be born in Australia. We recently moved back to the USA (he's australian through and through, i am american). i would want to have a baby here, but i also understand why he would want it to be born there (australian citizenship, etc.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 11:23 PM   #2

kristi_p HB User
Re: alcohol and pregnancy

A little alcohol I would say won't due any harm.
But if there is any chance you could be pg I woldn't keep drinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

I asked my ob the same question (almost) when I saw him for my first visit after finding out I was pg. He said that there are millions of women that drink and don't know they are pg, and the baby is fine. HOWEVER....that is not to say that things don't happen and babies aren't affected. That shouldn't be taken as a green light to keep on drinking. I would stop drinking until I know 100% for sure that I wasn't pregnant. Be it a period or a blood test from my dr. The most harm is done to the baby after it implants on the uterine wall, and in the mid-first to second trimester. Of course there are things that can affect a baby throughout pregnancy, that time frame is when the MOST damage can be done. I was about 3-4 weeks pg and I got really really drunk and didn't know I was pg. I worried incessantly throughout the entire pregnancy, even though I had been reassured by my ob. My son is 5 and as healthy as he can be.
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Old 08-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I was probably only about a week pregnant around new years and i didn't know. I drank alot on new years and then a week later we went out with friends and i got drunk. I still didn't know i was pregnant. We had been trying, but my test came up neg. and i was having cramps like i was getting ready to start my period. I haven't had the baby yet, but doctor says she looks very healthy. I also haven't drank anything since the day i found out i was pregnant. I think if you think that there is a possiblty that you could be pregnant then i would stop. Don't take the risk. You never know what could happen.When i found out i was pregnant i was so worried about the two times that i did drink.j It drove my crazy that maybe i did something that could of hurt my baby.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Don't get mad for me saying this, but t his is just my opinion........

If you are having unprotected sex, it is obvious that you could get pregnant. So, either you need to stop drinking, or use protection.

I say this because I am helping to raise my baby daddy 4 year old son. His biological mother partied a lot and didnt know she was pregnant until right around 7 or 8 weeks. Now, he has had huge problems. He barely talks, is barely potty trained (almost daily accidents), and has huge problems. For me, I dont care what any doctor in this world says.... alcohol really hurts these babies, regardless.

So, that is just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayazmama
Don't get mad for me saying this, but t his is just my opinion........

If you are having unprotected sex, it is obvious that you could get pregnant. So, either you need to stop drinking, or use protection.

I say this because I am helping to raise my baby daddy 4 year old son. His biological mother partied a lot and didnt know she was pregnant until right around 7 or 8 weeks. Now, he has had huge problems. He barely talks, is barely potty trained (almost daily accidents), and has huge problems. For me, I dont care what any doctor in this world says.... alcohol really hurts these babies, regardless.

So, that is just my opinion. Good luck.
I think that is exactly why doctors will often recommend that you stop drinking if there is a chance you could be or could get pregnant. A billion times, women could have drinks early in pregnancy and not do any damage (before they know they are pg), but then on the 1 billion and 1st time, a baby is severly affected by it. Are the odds in your favor of having no problems? Yes. Is it worth the risk of bringing a helpless child into the world with less than a fair chance of success? That is up to everyone to decide individually. Please don't misunderstand- I am not judging AT ALL. I had a few drinks after ovulation, myself, even though we were ttc.

HOWEVER, my doctor has assured me that in the early early weeks (before weeks 7-8) there is really next to no chance of doing the baby any harm. But if you think you could be pregnant, now might be the time to hold off until it's confirmed either way.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

OPINION: first of all if you have stopped taking BC then should take it for granted that you will become pregnant (obviously, if you are having intercourse)

FACT: the first three months of fetal development are the most critical (it is when all major organs are forming)
FACT: consuming alcohol in this span of time could damage the baby's tiny organs (and in some cases cause an organ to be under developed or never develop at all.
FACT: consuming alcohol, you also run the risk of miscarrage.

OPINION: using the excuse "i didnt know i was pregnant" gets thrown right out the window when you have stopped taking BC and you are fully aware that there is a chance of pregnancy.
OPINION: while it is one thing to concieve while on BC by accident,it is a whole other when you have stopped taking it purposly and continue drinking knowing you run the risk of pregnancy.

I meant to offend no one by this, just to pass on some information (both opinions and facts) i recieved sraight from my Dr.

Last edited by Chrissi; 08-13-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI

I too enjoyed wine with dinner almost every night. (USA) 2 years ago when i was trying to get preg i stopped the drinking for awhile just in case. but then it wsn't happening and i went back to my wine. Out of the blue i got pregnant this year after 2 consistant years of trying and it was memorial day weekend and i was execting my period. So I partied hard that weekend for 3 days and then no AF so next weekend i had some more drinks and still no AF so by the following friday i thought to myself, i will probably have some beer or wine this weekend but maybe just in case i should take a test. I really didn't think it would be positive but it was
i was glad i tested then at that point i was already 6.5 weeks along. the first 3 months are the most crucial. to tell you the truth, i found it difficult to sleep and relax at night after i stopped drinking and had about 2 weeks of insomnia. but now at 14 weeks i feel fine and am sleeping fine. I said i would have a glass when i got to the 2nd trimester but now i feel whats the point? I'll have myself a nice bottle waiting after the baby comes, i think i can wait that long, it is worth it.
a friend of mine drank wine and smoked cigarettes through her pregnancy and even though she nursed and did the all organic food thing, her boy showed signs of hyperactivity and irritability at a young age, easily startled, restless, etc. Whether that was related or not i do not know.
just my opinions. . .

Old 08-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

My doctor has told me that early on the placenta isn't even formed, and that alcohol has no way to pass to the baby. Everything I've read (What to Expect When You're Expecting, The Everything Pregnancy Book, Your Pregnancy Week by Week) says not to worry about the alcohol you had before you knew. Different people believe different things. Different DOCTORS will even tell you different things.

Just like every other decision, you have to take all the sometimes-conflicting information that's out there, and just make the best choice you can. Me? I'm not drinking until I'm done breastfeeding, and I doubt the few drinks I had before the fertilized egg had even implanted hurt anything.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Lawgirl; 08-14-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

IN MY OPINION it is neglagent behavior to drink knowing that you have a chance of becoming pregnant.

(and i agree lawgirl, that it is unlikly that the alcohol you had did any damage.)

the point is you should stop drinking the very day you stop taking BC and assume you will become pregnant, just a preventative measure for any possibe side effects to you the mother or to the baby.
experts say you should actually begin planning ahead for pregnancy (by about 2 -3 months), by taking a daily vitamin and making sure you are in good health and (obvioulsy to also stop drinking) to ensure that your baby has an excellent place to spend the next 9 months.
why take the chance. it isnt worth it by a long shot.
and again that is just my opinion.

Closed Thread