It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #1

happygrl HB User
overweight and pregnant

Hi all!

I am new here. I am pretty overweight and a couple of months ago I started exercising daily because I know that there are many potential complications for being obese and pregnant. I didn't plan on getting pregnant so soon. I am now 5 weeks and have continued to just walk everyday. Does anyone know how much exercise is healthy? Could I do more? Also, I have been taking folic acid-what other vitamins are very important now? I heard that too much vitamin A can cause birth defects, true?

Thank you.

Old 08-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User
Re: overweight and pregnant

Hi! Congratulations Walking is always good for you. If you want to know for sure what is too much talk to your doctor. Good luck with your pregnacy.I am not sure about the vitamin A but take prenatal vitamins, you can get them at any drug store or walmart. A doctor may also prescribe them.

Last edited by andrea_021880; 08-15-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Hey happygrl..... Im right there with ya. Im a little more than just pleasantly plump, I guess. I am about 45 pounds overweight. Before getting pregnant, I worked out almost daily, at a very vigorous rate. (used to be about 70lbs overweight) It was working. Till I got pregnant. Doc said to slow WAAAAY down. If you get your heart rate too high, it is harmful for the fetus. So, I slowed down quite a bit. I do SOME resistance training, but not too much. And I walk a lot. My suggestion, dont take JUST folic acid. I would get some prenatal vitamins from the drugstore. They are very inexpensive. They should contain evrything you need. As far as the vitamin A....I know nothing about that. I would write that down and take it with you to your first prenatal visit and ask your doctor. I would also ask about other things you can do while pregnant as far as exercise goes.

I wish you a great pregnancy (although it the beginning sucks from my experience).........

Keep us posted!!

Zayazmama

Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #4

happygrl HB User

Thank you so much for the replies. This is such an exciting time, but also one of worry because you don't want to do anything wrong, you know? I will continue with the walking and talk to my doc about it. Thanks again!

Closed Thread